jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

What is the biggest crisis in our world or your part of the region?

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
    Fluffymetalposted 6 years ago

Just curious to know what do you think is the biggest crisis our world faces today.  There seem to be so many.  Some recent like the oil spill, others obvious like the war or health care.  Some local crisis like the rain fall in TN.  What do you think?

2. 0
    mtsi1098posted 6 years ago

I think the biggest crisis we all face is not in present day but the future.  Will our kids have the desire and wherewithal to carry on the values that they have been taught and will there be enough of those who do care to make a difference...

1. Fluffymetal profile image76
      Fluffymetalposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like that answer.

2. andromida profile image76
      andromidaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You point out a great issue.I agree with you that if our future generations will value the human values we are carrying right now, I guess our ancestors also thought the same way as we are thinking right now.Thanks.

3. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

The economic state of the world. Banks failing, job loss, home foreclosures. It is a sad world we live in. So many times on the news I hear the economy is getting better. They need to look around, people are homeless, people are still unemployed. It really is not getting any better from what I see.

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

history shows us that there are always crisis periods to move through. right now I think the biggest crisis is the attitude of doom and gloom, pessimists, people giving in to media hysteria.

I say, turn off the 24 hour news and get involved in an issue, cause. make the world a better place. smile

5. Greek One profile image80
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

My hockey team missed the playoffs again this year

6. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

my right knee. It has lost it's mind I fear. It just don't cooperate with my body anymore. wtf?

7. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Every generation feels that it's is the one at the brink of something, on the cusp of something, near the end of something.  It's a generational narcissism that can be traced back thousands of years. 

It's very easy to see the present at the leading edge of knowledge and advancement, the pinnacle of learning (because it sort of is), so it's easy to think "we know more than those others did; we see more."  That's one part of it.

The other part is that nobody wants to imagine that their time, their "age" is just another boring, ultimately meaningless age in the line of time.  THIS time, OUR time means something. WE're the ones.

But, we're not.  We're no different than any other lot of humans that came before us.  No smarter, no dumber, no more important, no less.

8. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image59
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago

The biggest cirsis in this world today is the impending tragedy to humanity as a result of clashes between nations. In South Asia and West Asia, almost all the countries are dangerously planning the destruction of their enemiy countries. India is facing the wrath of more than 50 muslim countries, as a result of Pakistan's propaganda. Israel faces a similar threat by almost the same countries which India faces. Tt is wellknown that neither Israel nor India can be defeated by those large number of countries. So, they are planning terrorism as their tool to weaken them. Both these nations have to be vigilant always.  Terrorism is the biggest crisis in this part of the world.

9. 70
    logic,commonsenseposted 6 years ago

We have an incompetent as a president and too many morons in Congress!

10. BDazzler profile image84
    BDazzlerposted 6 years ago

The Oil spill in the gulf will be much more significant than most people seem to realize:

1. Ecology: The wildlife is just now recovering from Katrina and is in a very vulnerable state, this oil spill could not have come at a worse time for our fellow creatures. Fish, Osprey, Alligators, Marine Mammals, already in a vulnerable state, are all already negatively impacted ... the crisis will be worsened by the fact that politicians on every side of the issue will be pointing fingers, placing and avoiding blame rather than helping now.

2. Fishing industry shut down. Already, Bayou LaBatre' a major source of shrimp and other seafood is basically shutting down ...  BP already sent lawyers in to try to mitigate their exposure, and the Alabama attorney general put a stop to  it. Expect seafood shortages for at least five years.  Hundreds of family businesses will be devastated in this one town alone.  Multiply that by all the other fishing villages up and down the gulf coast ... With the economy already under stress, it could not come at a worse time for these very hard working people. In a tight economy, every job matters.

3. Fuel shortages and subsequent price hikes. Access to refineries on the gulf will be limited as the oil slick spreads, potentially cutting back production and capacity.  Expect this to raise fuel prices, followed by a rise in transportation costs, followed by a rise in prices of all transported goods. This will create inflationary pressure at a time of high unemployment.

So, for our region, the gulf coast and the US in general, this is a pretty big deal.