Pretty Unbelievable Airport Security

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Many of you may have read this news blurb today:

"The no-fly list failed to keep the Times Square suspect off the plane. Faisal Shahzad had boarded a jetliner bound for the United Arab Emirates Monday night before federal authorities pulled him back."

That's right the New York bombing suspect bought a ticket and walked right past airport security.

Can the Government do anything right?  I mean besides harrass law abiding citizens with increased restrictions.  Seems the "Bad Guys" are not getting stopped anywhere.

Surprisingly enough the plane had not left taken off so they did get him inside the plane.

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From what I gleaned off of the boob tube there is a 48 hour period of time when a person is listed on the "No Fly" list.  The TSA would not know of a terrorist trying to board the plane.

The secondary back up of someone buying a one way ticket with cash to the middle east was picked up by another agency.  I am not sure but it might have been Homeland Security that picked this up.

I agree that this loop hole should be closed as soon as possible.

2. Buck Steiner profile image57
    Buck Steinerposted 13 years ago

No, the government can't do anything right, government is manned by incompetents from the highest to the lowest levels.

But on the bright side they aren't in charge of health care.

3. TheGlassSpider profile image64
    TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years ago

*does a double take* Why do I get the creepy feeling I've read this thread already???

1. Buck Steiner profile image57
      Buck Steinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I give up, why?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'll understand after you read a lot of Mike's postings.

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

So what you are saying is that the fact that they caught the guy before he got away is a sign that they failed to ... catch him?

I'm not sure I'm following you.

I do know that the government has been painfully remiss in developing crystal ball technology and they have failed in the psi-ops department on any real scale.  I hear the CIA is working on an advanced tea-leaf reading project and the Pentagon leaked information the other day on it's new Department of Phrenology (DoP) for which they have high hopes.

Did Airport know the identity of the Times Square bomber? I would think (having a background in Law Enforcement) that the NYPD would have alerted Airport Security all over the country of the identity of who they were looking for, are you saying that they didn't?

Just asking, I don't know the answer, but you are aware that the police are a part of government, aren't you?

So government screwed the pooch no matter how you look at it!

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Either they screwed the pooch or they waited until the last minute to see who he called, who he sat with, who he nodded to on the plane.

5. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

The point is they knew who they were looking for... and he walked right passed security.  The fact that they did finally catch up with him is one of luck... the plane had not taken off yet.

So what good are security check points?

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a failure rate in most things. The question is whether or not the failure rate in airport security is high. I think it's fair to say the airport security, despite its bunglings, has prevented terrorist activities. But again, to what degree, I'm not sure, nor am I sure of the failure rate.

Anyone got any numbers to back all this up?

Just wondering.

6. profile image57
    foreignpressposted 13 years ago

Look, you have to understand something. Obama is very intent on making peace in the Middle East. So he doesn't want to offend anybody there including terrorists. Further, terrorists will only retaliate if any of their own is treated harshly.
       And Obama is the perfect foil to broker a peace there. He's claimed to be Christian yet has a Muslim background, and has vowed to extinguish the "ugly American" stigma that has dogged this country.
       So Shazad will be tried in a civil court and portrayed as a victim of circumstance. He will get a few months' community service and then sent back to Pakistan where he'll be treated as royalty.
       Obama is hoping there will be more terrorists here, so he can demonstrate to the Muslim world that America is a peaceful and generous nation.

1. Elynjo profile image60
      Elynjoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that!

2. profile image0
      Madame Xposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - it is very important never to offend mass murderers. That would be the height of discourtesy!

7. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Let's see. The perp attempts to bamb Times Square. The police (part of the gubmint) as you say, identifies the perp in less than 2 days, and arrests him.  Pretty amzing work, I would say.

The police were tipped when the guy bought the ticket for cash, and they DID stop him before he got out of US jurisdiction.  But no success is so great that Mike won't try to put a bad spin on it.

The "perp"?

Have I stumbled into an episode of Starsky and Hutch?

"perp"?

Excuse me while I fall out of my chair laughing.

Why didn't you use Criminal minds "UNSUB"

That would have been cool.

1. profile image0

probably "Law & Order" smile

He has the intro music playing in his head...real loud

1. profile image0

and not much else hmm

8. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 13 years ago

The guy should be shot, but he'll live and terrorists everywhere will know that there are lax penalties in America for mass murder attempts.

9. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

I took a pic with my camera I wish I could get online. It's an old man getting searched by security. You can see the cane he's holding up in the air while they pat him down. Airport security! HA!!

10. luvpassion profile image63
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

Unfortunatly law enforcement can be lapse...take the recent events in Memphis TN. A convictited murderer was allowed to walk out of the courtroom while taking a bathroom break.

Recaptured several days later he was released "Accidentilly" back into society again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)