jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Opinion Poll

1. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Who thinks that BP and Friends will actually be able to plug the oil spill which is about a mile under the surface of the water?

There is no Plan B and the pressure and darkness at that level make it nearly impossible to do anything.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think, yes, they'll eventually plug it.
      But it will be when the Lefts in government can take credit for saving the coastline.   Just like Osama Bin Ladin will be "found" and captured or executed when it's useful to further someone's political agenda.

I'm not saying BP's got an agenda; quite the contrary! I'm saying I think it's naive of us to believe that with all the knowledge and technology and stuff we have (heck, we've even sent men to the moon!),  there's no available knowledge that would've already allowed the thing to be plugged.

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I believe they'll EVENTUALLY be able to plug it...

1. 0
      yankeedoodleposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I believe also eventually...but at what cost to wildlife? The flats populations are already down, and with more grass flats being destroyed, I can only guess the extent of the destruction. Probably take years, and more limit restrictions to bring the numbers back.

3. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I'll agree with Habee. Eventually, it will get plug.

4. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 6 years ago

Plug or no plug the damage that has been done to the Gulf region is devastating. It will take God only knows how long before that region ever will even begin to look normal again.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I so hate it for the wildlife and marine life that have been and will be destroyed. I also pity the poor fishermen and businesses that depend on fishing, shrimping, and tourism.

5. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

So far not that much oil has hit the coast. From what I hear, BP is dumping huge amounts of chemicals on the spill. The 'stuff' attaches to the slick and sinks to the botttom. That's good for the coastline and birds. But the oil slick is now on the bottom, whichis not the same as cleaned up. Worse, no one seems to know WHAT is in the crap that they are dumping on the slick. It's secret and no one seems to know what the environmental impact will be of tons of an unknown chemical.

I am not making any predictions about the overall effect on the food chain in the gulf. I HOPE this crap is benign and won't turn out to be Agent Orange for the sea floor.