jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Jobs for the Girls

1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

Good afternoon,

Yesterday I had the pleasure of nominating one of the most brilliant legal minds in America -- and a friend of mine -- for the Supreme Court.

Elena Kagan's trailblazing career speaks for itself. An acclaimed legal scholar, she was the first woman to serve as Dean of Harvard Law School. A dedicated public servant, she was the first woman to serve as Solicitor General. In that position she has represented the American people before the Supreme Court in cases such as Citizens United, where she advocated forcefully for the right of Americans to be heard in our democracy over the well-funded clamor of corporate special interests.

Hear from Elena directly in a video that was recorded moments after I announced my decision:

Take it from a former constitutional law professor: deciding on the person to nominate to the Supreme Court is no easy task. But I know Elena will be an incredibly effective justice, thanks to her ability to build consensus across ideological lines and her profound grasp of how the law impacts real people's lives. It's made me proud to know and admire her for decades, and even prouder to nominate her to our Nation's highest court.

Thank you,
    President Barack Obama

2. theirishobserver. profile image61

Unlike Irish politicians - Obama is open and honest about his friendship with his appointees smile

3. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

Kaagan looks like a qualified SC justice. One of her accomplishments at Harvard was the recruiting of conservative-leaning faculty for the law school, which had to have been hard considering how few conservatives have graduated HS, let alone risen to careers in law.

4. theirishobserver. profile image61

Doug - you have your finger on the button smile

5. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

Kagan---another Obama puppet, another liberal sleeper who's been picked not because she'll be an impartial judge, but because she'll further the O agenda.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Brenda - I want to congratulate you on all the research and documentation you put into your critiqe of Kagan. That must have taken 90 seconds, including the time it took to spellcheck 'puppet'.

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How long did it take you to spell check critique? The one living in the glass house better avoid throwing stones, ya know smile

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
          Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Spasiba

2. Ralph Deeds profile image70
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And of course Bush picked Roberts and Alito because they would be strictly impartial??

6. theirishobserver. profile image61

wow smile

working