What would you do in this situation? You are threatened....

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (50 posts)
  1. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

I wonder what you would do if someone in a class you were teaching threatened with "I'll PUNCH your face in!" 

This has just happened to one of my colleagues.  I'd be very interested in your opinions.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well seeing as how that counts as a verbal threat and a form of harrassment.  my advice to your friend is to call 911 and/or the local authorities to press full charges against this person.  I'm assuming your friend knows the culprit's full name and remembers exactly what he/she looks like.  therefore, I don't see any problems with your friend filing a police report.

2. Origin profile image61
      Originposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would just call security and have them take care of the situation. smile

travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Origin. Appreciate your advice.

3. OntariFamilyLawCa profile image68
      OntariFamilyLawCaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I teach pt and some special ed students. I had to deal with this recently I sent one kid for the principal. one boy then kicked another. kids were called out as witnesses. then it happend it again in the last class.

document it well. also kid's can verbalize anger but you can often tell by the body language. you know the rooster struttng stuff.
      to habee not all schools have a resource officer.

4. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am not a teacher but I know what I would do, two words " Premptive Strike "

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If they are 18 or older you punch their face in first. Then sit down and have a discussion about what the hell was wrong with them in the first place.

If they are under 18 you remove them from the class in the most humiliating manner possible. Then sit down and have a discussion about what the hell was wrong with them in the first place.

Although I guess a lot depends on the setting and circumstances really

Hmmm easier said than done. 

The person who threatened was a man and a big man. 

The teacher was a woman, small framed and a very gentle soul. 

The man spoke very little English so even having a conversation at an elementary level was difficult let alone a conversation about his problems.

Then she needs to enlist people to her cause who can (but hopefully won't have to) fulfill that part of the response, physically and linguistically.

2. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Take pre-emptive aggressive action - humiliate them ??   You clearly have never had normal dealings with teaching, especially in a foreign country where you are a guest; and I shudder to think about your own education.

I have a great deal of varied experience teaching, including in foreign countries, and I know exactly what I am talking about.

Small women and older gentlemen like yourself will need to enlist appropriate aid to be taken seriously, but there are circumstances where weakness is not a virtue (complicated philosophical concerns aside).

1. profile image0

It is very clear from your lack of any understanding, and the ridiculous ideas you post, that this is not true.

I know it doesn't match the wallpaper inside your bubble, but I assure you it is true.

2. candice5 profile image58
        candice5posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know of a Teacher, well actually a Uni Lecturer. turned School teacher, supposedly to make his life easier. He took a Group, of I suppose what might be termed loosely as challenged. He decided to stimulate what brain they had, by putting paints into bottles, and giving them the Hugest piece of Board to go loose on.
        He was pushed over sat on and the paint ended up on them.
        Personally, I would have kicked them one, despite the fact you are not allowed to do so.
        Probably why I never took up teaching.

1. profile image0
          Several Ninjasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. candice5 profile image58
            candice5posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it tipped paint on me sorry but yes.

3. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years ago

Call the SRO to come get him immediately. The SROs know how to diffuse situations like that.

Hello Habee - SRO - can you translate that for me please?  LOL

1. habee profile image92
            habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

School resource officer. Our high school had two cops on duty at all times.

OK.  Thanks for that.  Yes, I agree with that.

4. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

Hi, travelespresso, nice to see you again. I think it would depend on which country you are in, I am not sure if you are still travelling> but if it was in England or America etc then i would suggest calling the police to ask their opinion. Obviously go straight to the Head first, and complain, but there must be some sort of legal way to sort this out. In my mother's day, the teachers would have been able to clip them around the ear! But in this day and age, that wouldn't work, because the kids are too dangerous.

Still travelling Nell Rose.  I'm in Malaysia.

The teacher made a complaint to the boss.  The boss called in her superior and the teacher was blamed.

Other teachers are very very nervous as the guy (he's in his 20's) was talked to for 5 minutes and sent back to the same class!

1. Nell Rose profile image90
            Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, that's a bit old to be in class, but I take it, it must be a college or something? different rules in different countries, but he is a man, if he is in his twenties, therefore he should be arrested. But I think that maybe your friend should move to another class or maybe leave. it could be to dangerous.

Yes, I agree, it is very serious.  Management are taking it VERY lightly.  To make matters worse its his second "offence".

It's an English as a Second Language class.  Actually many of us think we should leave.

I know I am!

1. Nell Rose profile image90
                Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck, and I hope your friend is okay. nice to see you back.

5. jamesbrownbete profile image61
        jamesbrownbeteposted 13 years ago

Threatening people are some kind of demonic act. A person may just pray and leave the situation to God. That's the best thing a person can do if he is being threatened.

Whoa!!!  Really???

1. jamesbrownbete profile image61
            jamesbrownbeteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's how I will handle the situation if I have.

2. Elpaso profile image60
          Elpasoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true. Pray! And learn to throw a combination uppercut and right cross. Can I get a AMEN?

You probably can't have it both ways!

6. Ohma profile image61
        Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Travelespresso
        My vote is with the press charges crowd. There is no way your friend or anyone else should ever have to put up with that.

Thanks Ohma.  It seems rather clear cut to me but not here???

7. Beth100 profile image69
        Beth100posted 13 years ago

Follow the chain of command. 

1.  Go to the principal.
        2.  If nothing happens, go to the dean, Head of College and Board of Directors.
        3.  If nothing happens, report to security.
        4.  If there is still no response, approach the police.  If there are others in the class who will bear witness to the threat and/or have been threatened, come forward together.  There's strength in numbers, especially when there is no physical contact.
        5.  During the waiting time, withdraw from the class.  Write a letter to the Head of the College, the Board of Directors as well as the Dean explaining why, what, where and when the threat occured.  If you know the full name of the person, then include that in your statement.

The key is to grab the attention of the Dean and as many people within the college as possible.  Again, if there is more than one person being threatened or feels threatened, have them step forward with you when you present your concerns.

Be aware that throughout this process, the aggressor can become more aggressive especially if he knows that it is you who is filing the complaint.  I suggest that you take  measures to protect yourself, including temporarily withdrawing from the class until it is settled.

Thank you so much Beth for your very detailed response.  That's a really good decision making command.
          Thank you very much.

1. Beth100 profile image69
            Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome.  Good luck, and be safe.  smile

Thanks so much.  I will be safe as I leave today.  However, I am concerned for the teachers I'm leaving behind.  These are BIG lads.

1. Beth100 profile image69
                Beth100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are leaving and you are concerned for the remaining teachers, you can still write the letter to the Dean, Head and Board of Directors.  Like all organizations and companies, when the Board of Directors are notified of transgressions that will cause a negative image, they will do something to prevent or advert it.  The best that you can do is to bring awareness to the higher ups.  What happens will be in their hands.

I do not know Malaysian law, but in Canada, if the working conditions are deemed dangerous, we have the right to withdraw our services.  Perhaps there is such law there?  If so, the teachers can ban together and cancel the class in protest until the student is dealt with.  Might be drastic, but if their well beings are in danger, then it would be better to be drastic than not.

I'm glad that you'll be safe, but be safe on your travels too.

Thanks for your very considered opinion Beth.  You have given me a lot of "food for thought".

8. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Hi there Kiwi.

A 13 year old guy in Te Puke stabbed his teacher in the neck with a knife last week. yikes

Aggression seems to be the norm everywhere today!  Maybe Drugs or Diets, but it isn't good enough and I don't think we should have to change OUR Lives to accommodate that BS.

However the exposure to it... it comes down to a personal choice whether or not You Accept it.  If you choose not to... Don't change and do whatever is necessary to ensure that the offending party does not influence anyone with threatened or actual violence.  You Know sometimes you have to help people become strong enough to stand up to unacceptible behaviour... yeah? hmm

Good Luck and Take Care mate.  smile

Hey PD....thanks for stopping by and thanks so much for your comments.  As always they make great sense!

Yes....we are supporting the local teacher in this.  Many of us got "rather stroppy" about the lack of strong decisive action and voiced our concerns.

Cheers Kiwi.  How are things in the land of the long white cloud?

9. profile image0
        kclovesgodposted 13 years ago

Well travelespresso  i am glad these rescourse are working for u...my daughter of 11 begged me to keep her with me cause she was getting tired of getting smacked n yelled at etc.   
        So we went to court and the first three made excuses to help, n we finally got a good judge will we thot...
        The judge listen to her, gave her the protection order, n we survive two weeks, she even had to see a forensic lady to make sure she wasnt lying.
        Make this quick, she had to go back to her dads, n the judge dismissed it cause she didn't give out enough to be consider child abuse...
        N like that guy told u here:"well seeing as how that counts as a verbal threat and a form of harrassment.  my advice to your friend is to call 911 and/or the local authorities to press full charges against this person.  I'm assuming your friend knows the culprit's full name and remembers exactly what he/she looks like.  therefore, I don't see any problems with your friend filing a police report."(stevennix2001)
        but in this case it didn't work... so i hope n pray for this teacher cause they are going to go through some tough decisions n will b praying....God bless kc

10. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years ago

You have made the right decision travelespresso.

I have worked in Malaysia. The only thing you can do in my view is leave.
        You're friend should leave too. You will get nowhere dealing with the school establishment, and the danger will remain.

I do not know of any procedure that works in the Malaysian legal system. (Other than bribes.)

Thanks for your comments Earnesthub.  That's just what's happened.  Three of us left including the teacher who was threatened. 

All sorts of nice words were said to get the teachers back in the classroom but the reality is that the man who threatened the teacher is still in class. 

It's difficult to understand the way this situation was handled compared to our part of the world.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well done. Yes Malaysia is an odd mix of politics and religion politically.
            I saw appalling human rights abuses when I was there.
            I worked for a very rich Indian who treated his employees like chattels.

I also saw politicians take bribes first hand. smile
            The life of the rich is as debauched as it can be, the native people are poor as dirt. Same old. smile

11. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years ago

I am sure you have made the right decision to leave. I guess the situation would be much the same as here in China, the student is paying and the school is a business, and the richer kids go to these schools meaning their parents have some authority that the school must respect.

The difference here in China is that violence, aggression and threats are almost unheard of in any kind of school or University.  Come up here and teach for a while !!  smile

Hey thanks China man.  I definitely made the right decision - I just feel for those I've left behind.  There are some really good people there.

Your offer sounds good.  What's the pay like?  Haha - I'm just another western capitalist!

1. profile image0

the least is around 3500 Yuan, more normal 4500 Yuan with apaprtment power water internet etc.  this is enough money to live upper middle class and go travel all of the 3 months per year holiday !!  and they are hiring now for September.

1. profile image0

Friends who come up from Vietnam tell me they do not pay quite so well but the people are lovely.

The pay varies a lot here depending upon where you're teaching.

The people are fantastic and the learners are willing - and they are gentle.  The Vietnamese I've met are not aggressive at all!

12. profile image0
        Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Hi travelespresso

I read your post with interest and some of the varied replies. I have many years experience teaching including English as a second language at all levels. I have also dealt with many young men and women  who have at times showed agression and even violence. Here's my adivice for what it's worth.

1.When being verbally threatened - do not exacerbate situation by respondingin an agressive manner. It does not matter if it is not  dealt with immediately.

2. If threats continue - go for security  if it exists.

3. Sit down with the student, later and talk about what happened.Don't assume they cannot understand what they are saying- they will often use this ploy straight after making a threat. However, if their English is that poor find a student with higher level skills to interpret. Find out why they made the remark.Answers can be suprising. Only then in a calm voice can it be explained that it is unacceptable. With this  conversation being held sitting down the height difference should not be an issue.

4. I know it's not right that your friends did not get adequate support but this is not uncommon. I personally people should always complain but one also has to be prepared for the consequences for doing so. I believe however, that you should only complain about what you have witnessed - ie you could talk about your friends distress -you have seen that. You cannot talk about the incident you were not there and third party views are rarely acceptedby  management (and I was a senior manager).

Thanks for your considered comments.  Yes, I agree with 1 and 2 and 4.

I understand your comment in point 3 but in this instance, I don't agree with it.  This guy had previous displays of aggression with someone else.  For a teacher unused to handling anger issues sitting down and talking it through one on one could place them in an invidious and potentially dangerous position.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)