jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

Criteria: how to ascertain who is aggressor and who is defender?

1. profile image68
    paarsurreyposted 6 years ago

Hi friends

Are there any principles to know for sure if party A made aggression on party B; or B party made aggression on A in a war?

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. Arthur Fontes profile image88
      Arthur Fontesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are no principles, war by definition is aggression.  If both sides acquiesce that they are in a war.

If one side is simply the defender then it is simply an attack, not a war.

2. rhamson profile image75
      rhamsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Usually the guy who finishes it.

3. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When you get to the point when you don't remember who started the fight or why, it's probably time to stop.

2. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

I always find that to be difficult to ascertain. If someone hits you first are they the aggressor? A witness that only saw the punch would certainly say so, but perhaps it was the challenge you issued before the punch that was the first instance of aggression and the punch then only an escalation. Like any truth it's often a matter of perspective. I'm sure their are guidelines in law but again it all depends on interpretation.

1. profile image68
      paarsurreyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi friend leeberttea

I agree with you; but I am sure there are wise men who must have found out some fool proof system; I am sure.

Thanks

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

If your nose is bleeding your the defender.
    If your knuckles are bruised your the aggressor.

1. profile image68

Hi friend tobey100

I meant countries; peoples not individuals.

Thanks

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Me too.  Funny thing is that in history, the one with the nose bleed usually if not always comes out the winner and the aggressor with the bruised knuckes is the loser.  War is a funny thing (pardon the expression) in that the attacked, at least for the last 300 years, triumphs over the attacker eventually.  This should provide a historical lesson to all aggressors but.....I'm not holding my breath.

4. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

North Korea is clearly the aggressor. South Korea should launch an attack on them right away, otherwise they will feel like they can continue to do this and get away with it.

1. profile image68

OK; but under what principle? Please

Thanks

1. leeberttea profile image60
        leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Let's see, the fired a torpedo and killed 46 South Korean sailors without a warning. I'd say that's agression under any principle wouldn't you?

5. MikeNV profile image72
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

North Koreans are the aggressor tongue  Happy Now?

6. bgamall profile image86
    bgamallposted 6 years ago

Stealing oil is never a defensive position. It is always an aggressive war crime.

1. profile image68

Who stole the oil?

Thanks

1. profile image61
        dagnytaggertposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The birds and fish didnt steal it.. it was poured on them! They will be glad to give it back!  Oil is a stupid arguement for war and agression.. just like religion.. but greed and religion are the two major cuases of war through out time. No way to stop war as long as those two remain.. and they will!

working