jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Prelude to War

1. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

Tensions in Korea heat up as Hillary Clinton visits China in an attempt to convince them that sanctions against North Korea for the sinking of a South Korean War ship.

My husband has been informed that he may be deployed to the area should the situation continue to escalate.

North Korea has stated war should any attempt be made to punish them for this.

Should the US become involved in another conflict between North Korea and the South?

What do you think? What is your country saying?

1. leeberttea profile image60
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We won't do anything without the approval of China.

luvpassionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We may have to make a hard choice as South Korea avows to resume propaganda broadcasting across the DMZ and the North vows to fire on any instalation that does.

Meanwhile the US Military begans considering anti-submarine excercises in the area drawing US Naval vessels and Aircraft based in stratigic points.

What they say and what they will actually do are often two very different things. SK and the USA will not do anything to start a fight. NK might attempt to draw them into action, but they will have to be careful they don't upset China or lose their support. NK has very few friends. Perhaps they are hoping to gain some financial aid or they are trying to rally their people to support the regime. I'm pretty sure they don't want war it would be the end of Il and his cronies.

2. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lee:
        You are 100% correct!
        The people of China are enjoying a quality of life never before experienced.
        The last thing china wants is N. Koreans flooding across its borders.
        If china were so inclined, she could invade and conquer N. Korea in a few hours.
        N.Korea is a pain in the ass, no doubt, but China is so successfully involved in world economics that she will never allow an idiot like Kim J. to jeopardize her economic future.
        The USA will, because of her debt crisis, involve China in any action toward Korea before she takes it.
        Ya have to know that with a population of 1.4 billion people (and growing), China depends upon other nations to feed her populace and to keep her economically strong.

In any event My husband is expected to be deployed to Japan with his squadron. by the end of the month..I hope you're right.

I salute him for his service and I thank you as well. I know it's not easy.
            The American appetite for war is pretty low right now. It would be politically impossible to engage unless we were attacked and even then, it would have to be swift action and not boots on the ground. Air assaults, drone attacks and cruise missiles would probably be the way to go and I think we would still need the support of China.

2. qwark profile image60
            qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Luv:
            I'm a 4 yr vet of the USAF.
            Your husband is one of many heroes.
            I also hope I'm right.
            Our gov't has made so many "dumb" moves that I, along with many, no longer have any faith in it.
            ...keepin' my fingers crossed that the US gov't doesn't blunder again!

3. 0
            Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My thoughts and prayers are with you and hubby, Teri.

2. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Kim Jong Il is like a three year old with power.  I think we should be very careful about engaging with them because the North Korean people will be the biggest losers.  They are subject to propaganda piped into their homes and every waking place.  Their patriotism/loyalty is inculcated (where it is not faked for the sake of survival), and you can't know which.  They are trapped by his lunacy.  They are practically starving as I understand it, and desperation can make for fierce fighting regardless of the odds. 

Dealing with that country is so complicated, and requires a delicacy that is an amazing challenge to anyone stuck having to do that kind of diplomacy.  There is so much at stake, and that man is simply not reasonable. War would be tragic. I hope we don't.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree. I heard somebody say that South Korean? troops near the border are vulnerable. We have troops in South Korea also, if memory serves. We have two too many wars going already. Most Koreans I run into in the U.S. believe that with patience North and South Korea will ultimately be reunited under a single government.

I've heard this also, however the current governments of both countries make reunification highly unlikely.

3. luvpassion profile image60
    luvpassionposted 6 years ago

The countries truce is perched on the edge.

"But now things are different. North Korea will pay a price corresponding to its provocative acts,"  President Lee Myung-bak has indicated.

Kim Jong has crossed the line. A Nuclear capable North is flexing its muscles and with their economy so impovorished perhaps they feel another war would be benificial especially if they feel China will back them.

working