jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Life Created By Man For The First Time?

1. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

J Craig Venter Institute (JCVI) has "created" a new bacteria that reproduces on it's own, essentially meeting the definition for life and has filed a patent for the process. If the patent is granted this company could get royalties on all new life created using their technique. Should a patent for life be issued?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie … oneer.html

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why not Lee?
      It's potential is enormous.
      Money is to be made.
      Man, will of course find ways to use it to kill his fellow man too....arghhhh.

2. watchya profile image61
    watchyaposted 6 years ago

If he 'created' life, he's entitled to the patent. Wouldn't you be ?

1. leeberttea profile image60
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That depends on how you define "created". Critics have called his process a "pretty little experiment". In actually he used an existing organism and stripped out it's DNA program and replaced it with another created on a computer that provided a different set of instructions.

3. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 6 years ago

Perhaps a stipulation should be that parental duties are bestowed on them along with birth certificates hmm

Wasn't Fergie trying to sell an interview with an amemba? hmm

4. 0
    zampanoposted 6 years ago

Well, I can say without any false modesty that my wife and meself, we have "created" two magnificent multicellular mammals and we've raised them for about 20 years.
    Now, they live by themselves, they have sudied and they got jobs, but we've kept strong affective links that make us see each other often, affective to the point they even call  me "papa".