jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (29 posts)

Women should wear trousers or be Jailed

1. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 7 years ago

In a bid to implement Islamic Sharia law to the letter, Indonesia's West Aceh district has started giving away long, loose skirts to cover up Acehnese women caught wearing tight jeans.

The westernmost province of Aceh on Sumatra is the sole upholder of sharia law in the predominantly Muslim, but secular Indonesia. The previous local parliament passed a controversial law in September allowing adulterers to be stoned to death.

Wilayatul Hisbah, the Aceh sharia police force, has been conducting raids on unmarried couples caught together as well as gamblers and drinkers. Today, it set up road blocks to search cars and buses for women wearing tight trousers.

Offenders were taken away to a security post and their details recorded. They were briefed on sharia law and instructed to put on one of the 20,000 long skirts the local government ordered from tailors in Jakarta. Offenders were also asked to sign an agreement not to repeat the offence.

West Aceh Regent Ramli Mansyur said the regulation was introduced because he was "embarrassed that the fashion in Aceh has become too open".

The sharia police will spend several months educating locals about the new law. After August, offenders could face a week in jail, Mr Mansyur said.

Although most women were obliging to the clothing swap, some were not too happy.

One 40-year-old housewife said she was enraged when the sharia police stopped her while she was riding a motorbike and asked her to change into a skirt.

"I know I am wearing jeans, but I have a long top, and I don't look like a man, and my jeans are loose," she told the officers, while trying to put on a skirt she had prepared in her bag on top of her jeans.

"Are jeans forbidden by religion?" she said. "I think we can't judge someone's heart from the clothes she wears, because even if she is wearing covered clothes, is it a guarantee that she is a devout Muslim? Look at the mosques, they are empty," she said.

Aceh, on the far western tip of the Indonesian archipelago, is sometimes referred to as the "verandah of Mecca" because the staunchly Muslim province was one of the first parts of the country to turn to Islam.

1. Don W profile image83
      Don Wposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Since when has it become okay to lift an entire article and reproduce it here? A paragraph is okay maybe under fair use, but a cut and paste of the whole thing seems a bit unfair to the original source.

Isn't it more appropriate to link to the original article, so they at least get the traffic from their content.

Of course if you are the author, or you have express permission to reproduce it, ignore the above.

2. Alota profile image59
    Alotaposted 7 years ago

outragous

1. donotfear profile image90
      donotfearposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Outrageous, but true.  there are certain Christian denominations that impose this "standard" on their members, forbidding women to wear 'clothing of a man', or slacks. It even forbids the cutting of woman's hair! So you see, it is happening in all religions.

3. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 7 years ago

I'd like to see women impose a law on men that they have to wear short skirts, and then see how they like it!

4. theirishobserver. profile image61

CMHypno - men in short skirts - Jesuz No smile

1. Jeff Berndt profile image91
      Jeff Berndtposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You mean kilts? smile

5. theirishobserver. profile image61

At least the kilt if below the knee - I suppose it depends on where you are smile

6. leeberttea profile image61
    leebertteaposted 7 years ago

Women must do what men tell them to because we're the stronger of the sexes!

7. theirishobserver. profile image61

WOW - that shoudl go down well smile

1. leeberttea profile image61
      leebertteaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Might makes right, no? big_smile

8. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 7 years ago

The French are banning burkas, Indonesia is banning pants...

The ONLY way for us ALL to get along is for everyone to become desensitized to the sight of the female body.. especially the yummy parts.

Therefore, each and every world government must ban women from wearing any type of clothing at all.. then and only then will these controversies subside.

1. LeanMan profile image81
      LeanManposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The desensitization works, I was in the US a few years back and my friends insisted on going to a "tittie" bar every night for a whole month... after the third night the boobs were getting in the way of the sports channel.... lol

2. Abbasangel profile image81
      Abbasangelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I see your point however I would feel incredibly uncomfortable following your "new law" Greek Philosopher... Particularly if the guys were wearing clothes...

9. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 7 years ago

I swear sometimes it feels like Christians and Muslims are going out of their way to make sure that, no matter what happens, no matter how the majority of people just want to live lives in peace, left alone and leaving others alone,  they're going to force their religions on people who don't want it and create anger and fury in people and, ultimately, make sure we get to that apocalypse prophesy religionists all seem hell bent on self-fulfilling.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 7 years ago in reply to this

There is more than a little truth in that post, Shades.

10. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 7 years ago

I'd probably consider a new 'ride'.

http://www.gunslot.com/files/gunslot/images/53222.jpg

11. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 7 years ago

or i'd have to ride around like this...

http://www.yourfunnypic.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/pink-ktm-motorcycle.jpg

1. leeberttea profile image61
      leebertteaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Awww you're cute!

12. theirishobserver. profile image61

Brother - whats going on smile

1. Lisa HW profile image83
      Lisa HWposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What that picture doesn't show is that that's a male religious leader.  lol

13. Megavitamin profile image88
    Megavitaminposted 7 years ago

Let's change all the rules and ban clothing completely!

1. Greek One profile image79
      Greek Oneposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Megavitamin I already suggested this idea above, but your comments have to be clarified to read....

"Let's change all the rules and ban FEMALES FROM WEARING clothing completely"

There have been no problems with men's clothing

smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 7 years ago in reply to this

i don't know about that..........i have a problem with some.......

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/movies/images/borat-preview-1.jpg

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 7 years ago in reply to this

OMG!!  Eyebleach, please!

14. Megavitamin profile image88
    Megavitaminposted 7 years ago

I believe in equality for all, so if women are banned from wearing clothes, then men should be too.  It's the right thing to do.

15. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

At least they don't have to cover head to foot in an abaya as the women here in Saudi Arabia have to, even the men here have to uphold decency, no bare chests and no shorts showing the knees and above...

Personally I think it is wrong to enforce this on people who do not want to...

16. profile image59
    Baieposted 6 years ago

Wao You are looking so cute i love it..big_smile

17. profile image59
    Baieposted 6 years ago

working