jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

The Pennsylvania primary

1. College politico profile image60
    College politicoposted 8 years ago

So Hillary won (see the results).

What does it mean?

Will the drawn out race kill democratic hopes in november?

2. William F. Torpey profile image84
    William F. Torpeyposted 8 years ago

When are we going to get past the "horse race" and talk about the issues? It's not like there aren't plenty of them!

1. 0
      pgrundyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yes, the worst thing about Hillary running is that we have to listen to more Hillary vs Obama now instead of focusing on what the rest of us really care about.

2. College politico profile image60
      College politicoposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Well they dont exactly have any major disagreements on the issues.

3. William F. Torpey profile image84
    William F. Torpeyposted 8 years ago

Instead of talking about who is going to win the next primary, and by how much, Clinton and Obama should be talking about Iraq, Afghanistan, the economy, Social Security and Medicare, etc. -- and a guy named McCain. The primaries will take care of themselves.

4. Shaur online profile image60
    Shaur onlineposted 8 years ago

Personally, I grew up during the time when no one knew who the candidate was going to be until the end of the convention.  That is after all, what the convention is for.  So, I look at the horse race as just part of the process.

What gets me is watching Hillary and Barack walk around on egg shells trying not to alienate the other nominee's voter base.  The only way to beat the Republicans is to maintain a unified party and this close of a race is almost certainly going to create some division by the time the candidate is announced. 

But then, Democrats have suffered from a divided party for at least 5 decades . . . which is why the Republicans keep winning.

My feeling is that Obama probably has the candidacy sewn up, since logically, there are a lot of blacks, that come election day, will show up to vote for him but will stay home if it means voting for Hillary.  In the end of it all, from the party's point of view, the best candidate to back for the Presidency is the one who will pull the best numbers on election day, regardless what the issues are.  It's really all about the money.

5. 58
    RottingNationposted 8 years ago

I voted for Ron Paul...  the rest of  'em weren't worth my time.

6. 0
    ColdWarBabyposted 8 years ago

Let me start by saying that I believe there is still a very strong possibility that there will not be a presidential election in 2008.  Why is dubya always grinning that same smug grin he grinned when he told everyone in 2000 that Florida was a sure thing?  Given NATIONAL SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/NSPD 51 and HOMELAND SECURITY PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE/HSPD-20 it would take only the tiniest disturbance to give Bush/Cheney an excuse to declare martial law.  Another, much less drastic false flag terrorist attack would be more than enough.
    In any case, it seems unlikely that any of the candidates being forced upon American citizens by the media and the rest of the corporatocracy will have any positive affect on the future. 
    It is inconceivable to me that anyone with a shred of awareness could believe that all the bread and circuses of the campaign for president are anything other than meaningless shadow play.  These actors will dance and strut and babble and America will accept the act.  When and if the election takes place the corporate machine will choose the next president just as they chose the last.  The American people no longer have ANY say in their “government”.  I will, in fact, be quite surprised if the ’08 election even happens.

7. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 8 years ago

RottingNation. ColdWarBaby. Got to love it. Have to agree. With Bush signing statements, the US gov is a sort of faith-based enterprise, allowed to go on in its present form, merely at the pleasure of Bush or the aristocracy behind him. It would seem to be pretty much touch and go.