jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

What would you cut to reduce the budget deficit in the UK?

1. 0
    Precious Williamsposted 6 years ago

The Prime Minister says that he wants to involve the public in deciding what should be cut to start reducing national debt.  Personally I want to scream when they say they will ring fence the NHS and education.  Why? I've worked in both and there's clearly lots of waster.

1. leeberttea profile image59
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Anytime government does anything there is waste. What is their incentive to eliminate it? The government isn't concerned with controlling costs or maximizing profits, they measure success by how much they grow their budgets!

Britain, like Greece, the rest of Europe and the USA need to cut everything, particularly entitlement programs.

2. Greek One profile image81
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

sell Scotland

3. LaMamaLoli profile image73
    LaMamaLoliposted 6 years ago

I think the first thing to cut would be the civil service. I have friends who work for the department of work and pensions (is that the name? can't remember!) anyway, their response to the current situation is yes, its bad, we are freezing what we offer jobseekers to save money, oh and our contractors will have to stop work at the end of their contract. Er yes, but what about permanent staff? Any cuts there? No. We'll just keep the same staff and find them other things to do. Ok thats probably a bit harsh, but it wouldn't be a bad place to start looking. I work for a council and we are already down to bare minimum - literally, so any cuts mean jobs-therefore services go. I don't know what the answer is, but I do know given half a chance I would remove the power of government to run/interfere/set targets for nhs or education. They should fund them, but they should be run independantly by people who know the business and can plan long term and without political agenda.

Sorry! What a rant! Didn't know I had it in me...lol

4. CMHypno profile image89
    CMHypnoposted 6 years ago

For some reason foreign aid has also been ring fenced.  While it is good for prosperous countries to aid poorer countries, I don't see why the UK should keep on pumping out billions in foreign aid when our own economic situation is so parlous. Surely we need to cut this down a bit and get our own house in order and pay off our own debts.  Then when we are economically heading in the right direction again, we can start upping the amount of foreign aid.