Should you have to pay for parking when you visit the hospital?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

Is it fair?

1. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can see both sides of the argument, but yes, when someone may be dying, or in need of emergency care one, does not check that one has change before going to the hospital ~ so one risks getting a fine at a time when one is potentially seriously ill or seriously worried. And parking fees are high.

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

Not even close! People do not go to the hospital for the fun of it.  If they are there, it is because of somebody's hardship, whether it be your own, or someone you care for.  One should not be banned or ticketed for lack of change.  Most people I know are usually so flustered at having to go there in the first place that they are lucky if they even remembered to bring their license let alone parking money.

3. TinaMarieTad profile image66
    TinaMarieTadposted 13 years ago

I don't think that it is fair.
    I have not come across any parking fees at the hospitals around me. I live in a rural area but know we have parking issues at some of the larger hospitals we have to attend from time to time. I guess it is up to the specific hospital and their financial needs..what will be next? Parking fees at the post office?

4. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

I agree, there are those that would argue though, that it is one of the very few ways hospitals can generate income. However I don't get how its free in Scotland and not in England...

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is it free in Scotland?
      I remember when the parking fees first came in, there was a huge public outcry. I don't remember the outcome and I've been in Spain nearly 8 years now. That was maybe just another thing gone wrong with the country that made me want to move.
      Parking fees for hospital visitors or staff is just plain ridiculous.

LaMamaLoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Apparently it is, apart from two hospitals - one in Edinburgh and one in Glasgow I think charge for parking. But the rest don't. That was what was causing some of the hooha when people were debating it!

1. IzzyM profile image86

Hmmm...would be interesting to know why the rest dropped the parking charges...and also why those who still have it, have it. Lemme guess, one might be the Glasgow Royal Infirmary? Because being in a central location parking there is premium for city office workers. Absolute nightmare to find a parking space there - you'd happily pay if you had to, because otherwise you have to park miles away and walk.

Lol! I think you are right. I'm not sure but I think the same applies in Wales. Maybe I should move...!

5. leeberttea profile image58
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Do you have to drive to the hospital? Why can't you take the bus, or walk or ride a bike? Better still, why are you going to the hospital? Couldn't you go to the doctor's office? Hospital's should be reserved for the extremely ill and for emergencies. Paying for the convenience of parking there seems a small price to pay.

No, you don't always have to drive to the hospital- presumably when you do, or are taken by car its because it is an emergency, or not practical. I can't see a pregnant woman in labour getting on a bike, bus or walk unless she had no choice. Many people don't WANT to go to the hospital, but are receiving treatment or have appointments with consultants so HAVE to go. Obviously if you can go to the doctor you should. I agree with you that hospitals should be reserved for the extremely ill or emergencies, but in reality, hospitals provide lots of necessary services which doctors just don't. For most people who hardly ever go to a hospital yes, its a small price to pay. But to those who are receiving long term daily treatments, its a high price. I guess its different for every person.

1. leeberttea profile image58
        leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most hospitals I know that charge for parking will validate your ticket and waive the fee if you are there for a scheduled appointment.

I haven't had that experience - but luckily my experience isn't vast! I just put the question out there because it was on the news and made me stop and think about it. I have always had to pay to park at all of my local hospitals, and because I was usually there because my children needed it, I didn't mind paying at all. But the debates on the radio had lots of people phoning in who did need to drive/be driven to hospital - for various reasons - but couldn't really afford to park there, and it just made me think, tis all.

I was just at the doctor recently. I got the bill from my insurance company. The doctor charged over 500 dollars for the visit, my insurance paid all but 120 dollars, which I must now pay. If I had to pay for parking, maybe it would have cost me another 4 dollars. If you can't afford the parking, you certainly can't afford the doctor, and if you must go to the doctor, another couple of dollars isn't going to break you!

Okay, probably not. Maybe thats the problem, in England we don't pay to go to the doctor, or the hospital. Well, not directly anyway.

Ah, so see it's not enough to get your medical care free, now you want your parking free too! LOL!

Everything costs somebody something and someone has to pay.

1. Polly C profile image90
                  Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It sounds very expensive to visit the doctors where you are- is having to pay $120 outright a typical cost where you are? That must surely put many people off visiting at all.

It's not always so expensive. Frankly, I don't know why it was so high for just a routine visit. That however is a whole other thread involving the health care system in the states, insurance companies etc.

2. LaMamaLoli profile image60

Are you ready? I want my health care free, education free, library service free, police, fire and ambulance free, er what else? oh yes, and I want very low taxes. And now I guess I should transport myself to another planet as that ain't gonna happen! Lol

2. IzzyM profile image86

If you were ill in hospital, would you want to know people could visit you without being charged an arm and a leg? Nearly all acute hospitals are in cities. Your visitors may come from out of town and not all public services run all hours. Also what if you have to attend an outpatient clinic? Not all public services are reliable even if there is service to your area. What if you actually work in a hospital? Is it right that you, already on a lower pay than the private sector, have to pay upwards of £200 a month from your meagre wages just to get to work - many hospital workers start before the public service start in the morning.

Here in the states workers don't pay to park at the hospitals they work at. They have separate parking facilities. Visitors do have to pay however. Remember, their are costs associated with a parking lot, there are the property taxes, the construction and maintenance costs, and the security, lighting costs etc ,that hospitals have to recover one way or another. They could do it in higher fees for care as an option, which in the case of those of you in England would result in higher taxes for someone.

3. Polly C profile image90
      Polly Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In England we cannot choose to go to the hospital or the doctors. You visit the doctor, then you are referred to the hospital by the doctor if it is deemed necessary - unless you are visiting  the emergency department.

My hospital used to be located in the city centre but now it is quite far out. Walking is out of the question, a bus would be fairly inconvenient and a taxi expensive, as I would have to come back in it as well.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Life is not fair. And there is a taxi...

Lol, can I send you the bill?!!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure you can - yet there is no guarantee I will pay it wink

7. aware profile image69
    awareposted 13 years ago

depends on if the hospital owns the lot.

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

The American doctor parked his brand new Lexus right in front of the hospital, ready to show it off to his colleagues. As he got out, an ambulance came along too close to the curb and completely tore off the driver's door.

Fortunately, a cop in a police car was close enough to see the accident and pulled up behind the Lexus, his lights flashing. But, before the cop had a chance to ask any questions, the doctor started screaming hysterically about how his Lexus, which he had just picked up the day before, was now completely ruined and would never be the same, no matter how the body shop tried to make it new again.

After the doctor finally wound down from his rant, the cop shook his head in disgust and disbelief. "I can't believe how materialistic you doctors are, " he said. "You are so focused on your possessions that you neglect the most important things in life."

"How can you say such a thing?" asked the doctor.

The cop replied, "Don't you even realize that your left arm is missing? It got ripped off when that ambulance hit you!!!"

"OH, MY GOD!" screamed the doctor....... "MY ROLEX IS GONE!"

Lol, that will have me chuckling all evening now!

9. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Here is Spain a medical/hospital visit is free so long as you have a health card, and you can only get one of those if you are working and paying into the system, OR if you are a pensioner. Otherwise they want €120 or thereabouts just to LOOK at you. When I broke my back I got sent a bill of nearly €11,000 which luckily I got sorted out because at the time I WAS paying into the system. Other people have not been so lucky and a similar serious accident has seen them having to sell up and go home.
    Oh and parking is free.

10. westdrug profile image61
    westdrugposted 13 years ago

In my opinion, you should. Contrary to most of the posts above mine, I support the fact that one shoulkd pay for parking in Hospitals. Why? Because otherwise you have hordes of people jamming in just for the sake of the free parking! I have seen families who would rather take 5 cars to a hospital to visit their granny, when they could have come in 1 SUV itself!

And as for the final justification, I would say it would help our ecology a bit too! smile

11. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

It wouldn't occur to me to resent paying for hospital parking.  I guess if I had a giant crisis going on, someone to see really quickly, and no change; I'd get the ticket and think "whatever".  I mean, in the scheme of having someone that sick, who cares...

I think hospitals should think a really long time before ever considering having anyone towed, though.

12. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I don't resent it.  Frankly it's just the luck of the draw and beliee me I have paid lots in parking fees.  Some people don't have to use it and some of us do. If there is a crisis and you don't have the money at that moment,  - you tell reception and they will tell the parking attendants and you should be okay.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)