jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (17 posts)

What are your views on economic equality?

1. liber profile image60
    liberposted 6 years ago

Is economic equality positive or negative in your view?

Suppose there were an egalitarian world, and to simplify things suppose the government had nothing to do with it -- all the richest people in the world voluntarily decide to redistribute their own wealth to the poor -- is this desirable?

I ask this because I can never sort out the right wings view on economic equality. Sometimes it seems like they endorse the view that economic equality is good, but the government shouldn't have anything to do with it; then five seconds latter they return to calling anyone in need a parasite.

This is a good example of what I mean:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ik4f1dRbP8

Which is it?  Do you want the government to get out of the way so you can give to the needy personally?  Or do you want the government out of the way so you don't have to give to the needy?  I can never sort it out.

Please comment.

2. thranax profile image51
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

I always thought charities where businesses with benefits that give to the needy?

~thranax~

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Life is not fair smile

1. liber profile image60
      liberposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Elaborate.

2. Dobson profile image80
      Dobsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Without trying to put words in Misha's mouth I think it is known some will have and some will not, no matter how well we try to level the playing field. Some people can maek a fortune starting with pennies while others could squander a million dollars.

1. liber profile image60

I think this is a cop out.  Obviously we can't have a perfectly equal world, even Jesus said "the poor will always be with you" -- it didn't mean he didn't think we should work to help the poor.

Again which is it?  Should we help the poor?  Or should they "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" and so on?  I know my views on this matter, I want to know if other people do.

1. Cagsil profile image60
          Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Even Jesus was conscious enough to realize that human will be human and some are subjected to their own identity crisis(greedy, corruption, abuse) which will create the poor or needy.
          The problem is a lack of knowledge. You educate those people and teach them to respect the power of money, and you will maintain a relative equal society.
          Other people cannot know your view, until you tell them. What you want to know is what is other people's views on the topic at hand. However, that isn't what you said above.

But, since you asked, you have mine. Also, I published a hub on a Solution for Poverty, if that helps.

1. profile image0
            kimberlyslyricsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

must add

great hub at that big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image60
              Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you kindly Kimberly. smile Nice to see you. wink tongue

2. liber profile image60

My view is that the solution is cultural.  If we have a culture that values things other than money and power than things will basically solve themselves.  Though valuing money and power have an instinctual component as well (not just cultural).

I think that might be what you were saying above.  If so then we are in agreement.

2. liber profile image60

Not making any assumptions about you Dobson, I don't know your political views etc.

3. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That too. smile

But mostly different people have different needs, both subjectively and objectively - and giving them a level field immediately makes it unfair for those with higher needs smile

There is no way to make it fair for everybody, and any attempt to make it fairer makes it less fair. Live with it smile

1. liber profile image60

Live with it?  I'm not bemoaning how unfair the world has been to me or anything like that.  I can live in this world perfectly fine.

It's not true that any attempt to make things fairer makes things less fair.  If someone voluntarily gives aid to another, then obviously the recipient is better off, and even more maybe the giver is better off (if the psychological reward of charity remunerates the gift) -- so it can almost be self interested on both sides.  Now in that case how can we say that everything has been made less fair?

1. Misha profile image75

What makes you thinking that when someone voluntarily helps the other s/he does it in the name of economic equality? Or increase in global fairness? I can't say for others, but I personally never think in those terms. smile

1. liber profile image60

Well whatever you call it then.  You're right, global fairness is an absurd concept, I used the example above of all the rich people in the world giving away their money voluntarily more as a thought experiment to get people thinking.

So in your view if the government can't force you to give to the poor, you should volunteer to do it anyways?  That's all I really want to know.

1. Misha profile image75

"Should" is the wrong word. I do as I please. smile

1. liber profile image60

"I do as I please" great, I couldn't be more sympathetic to that.

Okay, so I'll consider this as an "if the mood strikes me" or "if it's in my free will to do so."

working