jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Oil spill hasn't reached Great Salt Lake

1. manlypoetryman profile image73
    manlypoetrymanposted 6 years ago

When I read this news title...All I could think was "How could the Gulf Oil Spill effect the Great Salt Lake...Huh?" (I've delibertly not read or listened to much news over the weekend) Turns out...there was another Oil Spill...! Words escape me.

You can't make this kind of idiotic stuff up...What's next? (I better not say that...)

1. Brichmeister profile image62
      Brichmeisterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

we seriously need another form of alternative energy..this cant keep happening

2. Rafini profile image81
      Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

do you have a link?  I'd like to read about it....

3. kerryg profile image88
      kerrygposted 6 years ago in reply to this

An average of more than 6000 barrels a year are spilled around the world. (1 barrel=42 gallons) The rate has been steadily increasing over the last 20 years, even when measured against total barrels produced.

And that's not even getting into deliberate contamination:

We desperately need to end our addiction to fossil fuels.

2. MikeNV profile image75
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

A pipe broke.  Conveniently it broke right next to a creek/river that feeds into the Jordan River which dumps eventually into the Great Salt Lake. I believe I read it was about 21,000 gallons. It took about 9 hours before Chevron knew it had broken... you would think they would monitor their pipelines closely?  Killed a bunch of fish and birds.

Not exactly a spill in the Gulf Sense, more of a break.  Chevron is the company behind this oops.  Many people may not know this but there are Oil Refineries just outside of Salt Lake City.  They have had a couple of explosions in the past few years at one of them.