jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)

"deeply sorry"

1. 0
    philip carey 61posted 6 years ago

"Deeply Sorry"

These are the pathetic and empty words of British Petroleum CEO Tony Hayward when questioned by lawmakers about the BP oil spill. Is he 'deeply sorry' enough to part with some of his personal wealth? I doubt it. No, he will go on to a golf course and a place far away to 'decompress' at some future date, along with the other vulgar rich who made their money through high retail prices. Meanwhile, working-class volunteers will line the devastated beaches with makeshift tools and methods, trying to salvage what is left of their coast.

2. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

Remarkable! You and he must be very close to know so well what's in his heart. Are you related?

3. 0
    philip carey 61posted 6 years ago

Related via the gas pump and family who are affected by his actions, or lack thereof.  Perhaps you are related to Rep. Barton?  ;-)

4. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

philip, I hear you. these hearings are unbelievable. he basically has said nothing the country doesn't know already. he seems quite disconnected from the daily operations of his company. he doesn't even know how many deep water wells they currently have. I think I would have come more prepared to answer legitimate questions.

5. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

No. No relation. However, when a man says he's sorry, I take him at his word, unless I know him to be less than honorable. While I believe what happened could have been prevented and was the result of carelessness and greed, I don't think it was purposeful and I don't think if, knowing what is now known, that things would have been done the same.

1. Daniel Carter profile image91
      Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorry for being caught and genuine sorrow for what has happened are two different things. I feel quite skeptical about Hayward being genuinely sorry. There's not a lot of evidence of that yet.

1. leeberttea profile image60
        leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Nor is there a lot of evidence to the contrary as far as I can tell.

2. PrettyPanther profile image84
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well, I believe if a corporation the size of BP is careless and greedy, then it is purposeful.  They have the resources to invest in research and development of technologies to prevent accidents and to clean up after them if they happen.  They chose to drill even though they knew the technology wasn't ready.  They intentionally took a risk knowing that lives could be lost and ecosystems destroyed.  I have absolutely no sympathy for any decision maker in that company.  Absolutely none.

He might be sorry now, but it really means nothing at all.  When he had the power to care, he didn't care enough.

It must be nice to go through life never making a mistake, never doing anything purposely wrong, never being motivated by the pressures of the moment, never being carried by the momentum of events that existed before you decided to set sail on a course. Funny how everyone is so willing to condemn BP, and yet more than willing to give Obama a pass.

1. PrettyPanther profile image84

I personally do not give Obama a pass on this one.  He caved to the "drill, baby, drill" crowd and look what happened.  I'm sure he's sorry too, but again, sorry doesn't mean much now, does it?

2. lrohner profile image86
          lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I make mistakes all the time. Mine just don't wreak havoc on the environment, kill wildlife and put people out of jobs. The people that are in a position to allow this kind of thing to happen need to be held to a higher level of accountability and responsibility.

I think BP has said that they are responsible and will pay all legitimate claims. If laws were broken then the responsible people should be brought to justice. Is it not possible that the man is as he said, deeply sorry? Is it not possible to feel remorse and regret for one's digressions, just because someone is in a position of wealth and power? I'm not trying to defend any wrong doing by BP or it's officers or workers or by those in government that had oversight over this operation, but humans are fallible, we make mistakes and sometimes as a result of our actions others are hurt, but this does not mean that we can't feel badly about it or feel sorrow for those injured.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image90
              Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lee's got the right of it. The guy apologized. That's a step in the right direction.

Will he (and BP) make good on the promises  to clean up the mess they made and to compensate people whose businesses were destroyed?

That's how we can see if his apology is sincere. And that remains to be seen.

The apology may be cold comfort to the families of the dead workers, or to the shrimper who will lose his livelihood, but it seems prejudicial to assume it was insincere.

2. Bacall profile image61
              Bacallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"I think BP has said that they are responsible and will pay all legitimate claims."

That's the problem! The scope of this disaster is so great; you would never be able to sort out what claims are legitimate for years and years. That's why they jumped on Obama's plan and, was happy to do it.  They are not all bad. But pretty bad.
              As an oil company they had to take the chance and drill wherever their oiley noses lead them. The problem is they did not take the steps needed to insure the drilling would be done safely. Considering the lives lost and the damage done to the gulf coast; 20 Billion was not a shakedown, it was a gift to BP.

3. Bacall profile image61
      Bacallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You said it all! Let's keep a man to his word.

"However, when a man says he's sorry, I take him at his word, unless I know him to be less than honorable."

Do you take Sen Joe Barton at his word when he says he's sorry to BP? He did take his sorry back a little later.  So in some cases the word sorry is just a word with no sincerity behind it.
      Unless of course you think Joe Barton really does want to bow down to BP.

6. barryrutherford profile image32
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

What more could he have said.  Oil companies have oil leaks all over the World check out the leaks by Shell in the Niger Delta

There isn't anything more he can say.  Words don't mean anything at all right now.  That's my whole point.  What matters is what happens next.

1. barryrutherford profile image32
        barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago in reply to this

my comment was not necessarily directed at your comment but the whole post

Noted.  smile

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
            Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm thinking of this as my new avatar instead of the Colt's helmet.

Watcha' think?

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
              Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I like it. I may switch to this myself.

Makes me feel safe somehow........... wink

LOL!  I don't think Brenda would like my having a crush on her, even if it is just a representation of you. You know, that women-loving-other-women thing really bothers her.  big_smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
                rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

why did you switch it back? it gave me some giggles.

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/0 … ngress/?hp

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
                  Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I fear the wrath of "the hand".

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
                    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

2. pinkboxer profile image59
        pinkboxerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for bringing this perspective to the discussion. Those on the Gulf Coast demanded greater worldwide media attention. I am finding out a great deal about the oil industry that I never realized since the spill on our Louisiana coast.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

well now, Barton has apologized for his apology to BP! he must have felt the wrath of Boehners 'hand' during a break!

3. blue dog profile image78
      blue dogposted 6 years ago

joe barton has rec'd over $300,000 in campaign contributions from the oil and gas industry since 2007, more than $1 million since 1990. 

it should be clear who's running the show.

working