Is President Obama Trying To Become A Dictator?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

This may be a bit over the top, but we must remain vigilant, especially when we see years of case law, and constitutional law circumvented with each new crisis an excuse to pass more laws restricting freedom or concentrating power in the executive branch of government, or the federal government assuming more power for itself over that of the states.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

yes, a lot over the top imo. what's more frightening are the people who no longer think on their own and listen to shows like glenn beck and consider his nonsense.

when people don't like someone, they will find every way possible to discredit them. it's how they see their world. that will never change.

leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's even more frightening is that people will ignore questions and facts when they dislike the source.

3. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

Mike Papantonio, the lawyer for many of the affected plaintiffs:

"I was glad to see Obama get a $20 billion down payment on that obligation because I've dealt with companies like this as you probably know, over the last 25 years and I've heard promises and I've seen them talk like they have compassion and sympathy for the victim. at the end of the process, it's always their corp rated defense lawyers that bill $2,000 an hour and try to make those victims go away with nothing. When all the smoke clears on this all that talk's going to be great but Obama was smart enough to say, look, that might be fine, but right now i want $20 billion. You might remember Dick Cheney and George Bush took BP behind closed doors on that 100-day meeting and ended up giving BP  millions of dollars. The reverse of this is you have Obama that will took BP behind closed doors and said give the consumers $20 billion. This is a very different picture from the last presidency, I can tell that you much".

First, let's be honest about what actually occurred here.  President Obama met with BP representatives and a result of that meeting is that BP agreed to put $20 billion into an escrow account to pay for Gulf oil spill losses.  No one forced BP to do anything.  They agreed to it.  (Aren't you the one who believes Tony Hayward truly is sorry?  Perhaps this is evidence of that.)

Second, should Congress choose to pass a law that forces BP to live up to their agreement and sets a standard for financial responsibility for future disasters, that's not dictatorship, that's Congress enacting a law by voting on it.  It happens all the time.

Third, Glenn Beck is a moron.  That's just my opinion so I'll just let his stupidity as presented in your OP speak for itself.  I know you won't agree so no need to rebut, unless you just feel like it.

Lastly, since you were so kind to present Beck's quotes from MSNBC, I'll provide one of my own that I think sums things up quite nicely:

"He [President Obama] drives his opponents mad, and in the end, their total incoherence and malice will hurt them. In the end, because he won't take the Modo bait, the destruction of the populist ideological right will be more effective and profound because it will be self-destruction. Yes, this means that you have to endure these loonies posturing and making shit loads of money from it for the foreseeable future. But that merely requires steel and patience.

[snip]

....And that's why Obama's incrementalism, his refusal to pose as a presidential magician, and his resistance to taking the bait of the fetid right (he's president - not a cable news host) seems to me to show not weakness, but a lethal and patient strength."

In case you haven't noticed, Beck is one of "these loonies posturing and making shit loads of money from it." 

Only an American right-winger who already despises Obama could possibly believe that getting BP to agree to pay for their own mess is a bad thing.  Glenn Beck is merely providing the tortured logic to support his listeners' desire to find something about it to dislike.  And raking in the money while he's at it.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

The forum needs a humor section just for your posts smile

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

5. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

Last I checked we were still a nation of laws, so you apparently believe it's okay for the government to do something and then pass a law later to cover it.

This isn't about an agreement by BP to set up a 20 billion dollar escrow account to be administered by some third party, it's about the government, not just Obama, (because as much as I am sure you would love Obama to be this country's permanent dictator that's not likely.... yet)there may one day be a right wing President who will exercise those same powers (no doubt to your howls of disgust).

1. profile image0

No, it IS about an agreement by BP to set up a 20 billion dollar escrow account to be administered by some third party. Period.  You're trying mightily to make it about something else.

No, I don't want Obama to be permanent dictator and for you to say something like that shows how lame your argument has become. 

Yes, Obama has exercised powers in this situation--the powers of persuasion and leadership.

Scares you, doesn't it?

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Persuasion?
        His behavior is more like bullying.

1. profile image0

Describe to me in detail exactly how BP executives were bullied.

1. profile image0
            Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Similarly to how he bullied Congress to get the "health care" bill going,  he passes judgement openly and publicly upon those he can use to further his own agendas of "alternative fuel", etc.

When I saw him on tv saying we will make BP pay,  he was bullying them there.
            Mr. Obama has his nose in everything that gives him room to pass the buck to anyone else, while his entire Administration has shown no accountability at all, for anything at all.   That's how a tyrant is,  and that's equated to bullying.

1. profile image0

Thank you. big_smile

I'm sure leeberttea is pleased to have your cogent argument to bolster his claim.

Obama is the biggest recipient of campaign money from BP. No doubt this "deal" benefits BP as well as Obama.

http://smartgirlpolitics.ning.com/profi … scrow-deal

What you view as Obama's leadership and power of persuasion is nothing more than a perception, a painting artfully sketched in water colors on a canvas of white lies.

In his oval office speech did he talk about what he would do to stop the leak and hasten the clean up? Did he talk about how government failed and take responsibility for his part in this disaster? No. Instead he talked about his energy bill agenda, the destruction of the American economy and the middle class.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

Well, leeber, which is it?  I thought you said Obama "dictated" to BP.  Your OP included these terms:

"strong-armed"
    "confiscated"
    "dictator"
    "fascism"
    "communism"

ad nauseum

Now you're saying this "deal" benefits BP.

Are you sure you know what you're talking about?  Or, more accurately, are you sure Glenn Beck knows what he's talking about?  You might want to think about that before you parrot his ideas.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This comes about due to the dedication that whatever Obama does, he is against it. Even if it totally contradicts what was said before.

2. leeberttea profile image56

Beck was quoting reporters from CNBC and MSNBC. They are the ones that brought up the terms "strong armed" and "dictator". Essentially you have the left questioning the motives of Obama.

By the way, I'm not parroting anything, I only asked the question. Glenn has made a comparison between Obama today and Roosevelt in the 40s when the press and the progressives on the left had pushed for him to take dictatorial powers. He's pointing to the press on the left who are referring to Obama's actions as strong arming and dictatorial, then coupling that with yet another school chanting the blessings of Obama. If you can't imagine a scenario where this escalates out of the people's control then maybe you are naive.

1. profile image0

So, you're going with Obama forced BP, as opposed to cut a deal with BP that benefits BP?

Just trying to keep your arguments straight, since they are contradictory.

They aren't contradictory at all! Obama used threats of over overreaching government authority to get BP to deal, and BP's influence with Obama got them a limited liability. The perception, to those like you who wish to believe they think for themselves and aren't influenced by the lies perpetrated by the progressive left, is that Obama is the one who made sure BP would pay. Everybody wins, except the American people.

7. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Those who lack vision for the future dabble in politics or religion. hmm

8. luvpassion profile image62
    luvpassionposted 13 years ago

I've been watching Glenn Beck speculating about this very subject...some of his conclusions he backs up with speeches given by politicians and members of the media.

Of course many prominent politicians have been accused of this through history...for example, Bush senior business dealings, which continued until his company's assets were seized in 1942 under the Trading with the Enemy Act, has led more than 60 years later to a civil action for damages being brought in Germany against the Bush family by two former slave labourers at Auschwitz and to a hum of pre-election controversy. The theory here is that his family aided a dictator.

The US has backed dictators in the past, a cunning crew of tyrants and corrupt puppet-presidents who have been rewarded handsomely for their loyalty to U.S. interests.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)