Good Bye Freedom

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Just more of the same... using Terrosim to REMOVE the remaining freedoms of Americans. Liberman is a pathetic excuse for a Senator.

There is NO reason to shut down the internet for anything other than Martial Law so the United States Government can steam roll it's own people.

The Internet is a vital source of information decemination in a time of crisis.

This is very scary!

-----------------------------------------------------

Internet 'Kill Switch' Proposed For President

Updated: Friday, 18 Jun 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
    Published : Friday, 18 Jun 2010, 12:03 PM EDT

(CANVAS STAFF REPORTS) - A new bill introduced in the Senate would give the president the equivalent of an Internet "kill switch" if passed. The concept has some communications companies hoping that legislators would rather kill the bill.

The bill is known as the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act. See the proposed legislation [PDF format] .

CNET , a publication that covers computers and the Internet, reported that the bill would give the president emergency powers to seize control of or shut down portions of the Internet.

Broadband providers, search engines, software firms and other similar companies would be required to "immediately comply with any emergency measure or action developed" by the Department of Homeland Security. Failing to comply would lead to a fine.

CNET stated that primary sponsor Sen. Joe Lieberman, chairman of the Homeland Security committee, introduced the bill on Thursday.

According to the Huffington Post , it would create a new agency within the Department of Homeland Security named the National Center for Cybersecurity and Communications. Any private company reliant on "the Internet, the telephone system or any other component of the U.S. information infrastructure" would be "subject to command" by the agency.

Some would have to share information with the NCCC.

The Escapist Magazine quoted Lieberman as saying the act would let the government "preserve those networks and assets and our country and protect our people."

"For all of its 'user-friendly' allure, the Internet can also be a dangerous place with electronic pipelines that run directly into everything from our personal bank accounts to key infrastructure to government and industrial secrets," the senator said. "Our economic security, national security and public safety are now all at risk from new kinds of enemies - cyber-warriors, cyber-spies, cyber-terrorists and cyber-criminals."

The Huffington Post said that TechAmerica, a technology lobbying group, and other groups are warning of the "potential for absolute power" and "unintended consequences that would result from the legislation's regulatory approach."

ZD Net reported that there is a paragraph in the bill that states the NCCC could not order broadband providers or other companies to "conduct surveillance" of Americans unless there's another way to legally authorize it.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

We already discussed this on another thread.

I agree, Lieberman is pathetic. Does not mean this will pass...

3. Flightkeeper profile image68
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Well if he does sign the bill, it'll prove to a lot of people that he's a fascist.  Controlling a country's information medium should be obvious to everyone.  But then, Democrats can be really thick.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79

This is what I posted in the other thread

"the Obama administration pointedly stopped short of endorsing Lieberman's bill, called the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act (PCNAA)"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20007851-38.html

And Lieberman is not a democrat...

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I seem to remember he was McCain's wing man in the campaign.

1. MikeNV profile image68
        MikeNVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

McCain is a flip/flopping fraud.  He is in fact Lieberman's buddy. He's a follower, not a leader.  He will take any position that makes him seem like he is doing something.

Just go back to Savings and Loan Scandal.

http://www.realchange.org/mccain.htm

How does McCain keep getting re-elected?

5. Me, Steve Walters profile image78
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

Bye Freedom! What will they try next to screw up this country...and/or the planet...or whatever else they can get their hands on. Stay tuned next week...and watch Washington D.C. find the next diabolical thing they can implement...'cause God knows everything is running so smooth...that you have to search real hard to find new things that need fixing! mad

6. KFlippin profile image61
    KFlippinposted 13 years ago

Was not there something from the past few days, while we are all distracted by the oil spill, about a move from the FCC to make the internet a 'telecommunications' method like the phone, and thus subject to fed conrol?  Something along those lines, I'm quite sure, and can't say it was surprising.

7. TinaMarieTad profile image66
    TinaMarieTadposted 13 years ago

One more thing in Obama's radical agenda to check off of his list..

Next comes martial law!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you even read the previous postings?

1. TinaMarieTad profile image66
        TinaMarieTadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ummm..YES..

It is still one of the things on Obama's radical agenda regardless of whom brings it to the table..

Were you around during the campaign to see that this was something Obama wanted to do before he came into office and could make it a "homeland security"? Obama also has the  plans to change and control journalism..

Leiberman was democrat and turned independant when his own party would not support him...

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I repeat:

"the Obama administration pointedly stopped short of endorsing Lieberman's bill, called the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act (PCNAA)"

1. profile image0
            cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

so? why not just come out publicly against it and say "no, Joe, what country do you think this is, North Korea?" or something like that.

there were all kinds of people in Nazi Germany who "stopped short" of killing people. they just politely looked the other way when the footsoldiers did it.

ever since the President took office many of our freedoms are being quietly nibbled away but "it's not actually OBAMA who's doing it".

riiight....

8. Uninvited Writer profile image79

So now he is to blame for proposals made by independent senators?

And it's not just a Democratic or Republic idea, or an independent idea.

"The idea of an Internet "kill switch" that the president could flip is not new. A draft Senate proposal that CNET obtained in August allowed the White House to "declare a cybersecurity emergency," and another from Sens. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.V.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) would have explicitly given the government the power to "order the disconnection" of certain networks or Web sites. "

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

But it seems to me we the people should have some input on this matter ! Not just two Senators.

9. tony0724 profile image61
    tony0724posted 13 years ago

Guys if you think things could not get worse , just take a look at Bill HR 5175 that the wicked witch of the west Nancy Pelosi is trying to get through right now. It has censorship of Democrat criticism written all over it. George Orwell and Huxley were right in their vision of the future !

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/staphory/sky-is-falling.jpg

1. TinaMarieTad profile image66
      TinaMarieTadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad234/TinainMichigan/Bumper%20Stickers/head-sand.jpg

11. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Lieberman's loyalty is not to the USA, nor with anyone's freedom.

We've already given our country away.
    Happened long ago if you ask me.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Lieberman's loyalty is not to the USA, nor with anyone's freedom."

What a completely rational statement... roll

12. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Okay, well, I enjoy using the internet but don't really enjoy my information being out there without my consent...(banks, credit info, every time I use my debit/credit card or write a check, my address - you can't do any of these things without it going over the internet)

Who owns the rights to the Internet anyway?  Is it the US?  Does anyone own the internet?  If it isn't the US, then how can the US shut down a World Wide Web of information?  The US doesn't have the right to tell France 'the internet is not to be used at this time' - or does the US have that right? 

This is crazy!  Does anyone know the answers?  neutral

I wish I did. And you are righ this is crazy and reeks of martial law !

13. donotfear profile image85
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I haven't heard of this one. What's the deal with Leiberman?

What's the deal with the whole lot of them ?

14. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Ask yourself who owns the whole lot of them.

Not all of them though, I would bet. But then, you never know...

If they and WE cared about America, we would not be where we are now.

And all the stupid rah rah sh*t has got to go. How stupid is it to think you are perfect?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)