jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Who is your favourite American president of all time?

1. 0
    ryankettposted 6 years ago

Well actually, to narrow it down, your lifetime.

I am not American but my favourite American president in my short lifetime has to be Bill Clinton.

He did a great job with your economy without resorting to a great deal of underhand tactics on the global stage.

In other words, he saw that the problems lie internally rather than externally. There were no wars, and he built some fantastic relationships within the developed world - particularly with Europe.For me, he is certainly the most respected globally. Everybody has to laugh at his cigar fetish of course, except perhaps Hilary.

For my least favourite I am tempted to go for Reagan, although that would be unfair as his reign would have been entirely unconsequential for Britain had it not been for Maggie Thatcher mirroring his economic ideals. So least favourite has to be George Bush for his 'bully boy' foreign policy.

I am split with Obama. I don't dislike him, I just pity America right now really - I can't see any big plan to encourage economic activity or cut your spending. He has the potential to improve the perception of America internationally, although as of yet nothing has really changed.

I would be interested in seeing the opinions of both American citizens and non-American citizens.

2. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

In my lifetime, I would choose Clinton also.

Before that, probably Lincoln or FDR.

4. PrettyPanther profile image84
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

In my lifetime, Clinton.  Still withholding judgment on Obama, since he has only just started.

5. Polly C profile image88
    Polly Cposted 6 years ago

Yes, I also vote for Clinton, though I am impartial about Obama right now as I have not really been following his activities since he was elected.

Bill Clinton was going to sign up for the Kyoto agreement, agreeing to cut emissions along with all the other members, yet in came Bush who put a stop to that. Thinking only of the American economy and not of the interests of the wider world put him at the bottom as my least favourite. 

Clinton was going forwards, then Bush arrived and went backwards - that's how I see it, though I am not American but English.

6. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago

My favourite American President was, is and will be George Washington... Because he initiated a direction to the American democracy.

Second favourite President is Gen. Eisenhover. Because, he participated in a war, the war ended, he was retired and then only he became President. He may have rightly marched into White House after returning from the war. But he retired, won the elections and became President... Perfect democracy !