jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Robert Byrd

1. 0
    SirDentposted 6 years ago

West Virginia senator Robert Byrd died at approximately 3 AM this morning. He was the longest serving senator in the United States. He was first elected in 1952 and held his seat up to his death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37959947/ns … ?GT1=43001

2. AnnCee profile image77
    AnnCeeposted 6 years ago

RIP, Sheets Byrd.  Term limits now.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am also not a fan of birdsheet.

2. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There's a unique method of term limits incorporated by the founding fathers into the Constitution - and in every state constitution - they're called ELECTIONS. Byrd - like him or not - was the selection of the people of W. Virginia over and over. Who better to decide than voters?

3. Ms Chievous profile image82
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

He did A LOT for the State of West Virginia.  I wonder how many roads, buildings, ect are named after him?  I will have to Google..

1. leeberttea profile image60
      leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He did a lot? How so by returning citizens tax money to them in  infrastructure projects which he then had named after himself? I thought politicians were supposed to be public servants!

Not only their money but a great deal of tax money from other states as well.  West Virginia takes in much more federal money than it's citizens pay in taxes.

1. leeberttea profile image60
          leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh well that makes him even more endearing! roll

Hey man, sheets and hoods ain't cheap!

2. Ms Chievous profile image82
        Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

17 infa structure projects (as of 2002) smile  Regardless of of the name the projects still brought in jobs...
        I know he is not popular and should have retired loooonnnng ago

3. Cagsil profile image61
        Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

And one would think that one would actually think before speaking.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago

RIP. He did good by his constituents, isn't that what a good Senator is supposed to do?

I didn't like Strom Thurmond and his beliefs, but I did not slag him off after he died.

5. Ms Chievous profile image82
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

After more checking there were at least 50 buildings bridges streets, ect named after him.  He went from being involved in the KKK to being one of the first to endorse President Obama.  Love him or hate him he still has done a lot for our state.  Probably more than any other senator..

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

BYRD repented his early racism long ago. He played a key role in establishing the MLK holiday.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

From what I've been hearing on the radio, Byrd was beloved in West Virginia.

working