"Moving Forward" On Immigration

1. leeberttea profile image60
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

I really hate, HATE this term used by Obama, but probably by all politicians! What does that mean? Societies don't move, governments don't move, certainly not in any sense of a direction. Who is to say granting illegals immigrants is a "move forward"? What's forward about it? Is securing the border first a "move backward"? Maybe moving backward then isn't bad? Maybe we should move backward? If there's a fire in front of you, would you "move forward" into the fire? NO!

Hell if we move backward far enough we could roll back government to when it first began and people were free to move back and forth across the borders and there were no such thing as illegal immigrants! Of course, there weren't any entitlements then or any income tax. Now that's something I could support!

1. Sab Oh profile image59
      Sab Ohposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You know what he means by that. He means AMNESTY.

2. Strophios profile image60
      Strophiosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, but that's the way language works. You could just as well complain that there is no reason that bigger numbers should be "higher." It would make just as much sense for larger numbers to be "deeper" instead. But language is constructed by mixing metaphors, by doing things like conflating the concepts of distance on a physical journey and progress in a political one.

Additionally, it's worth pointing out that "Maybe we should move backward? If there's a fire in front of you, would you 'move forward' into the fire? NO!" doesn't really help your argument either. You can just as easily put the fire behind you, if you'd like. For every hypothetical you can up with to make "move backward" make sense, I can give you one for "move forward," or even "move sideways."