jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

Mixed Reactions

1. Sab Oh profile image58
    Sab Ohposted 7 years ago

A good friend of mine has gotten the "Is he adopted?" thing about his mixed-race child and it does indeed tick him off to no end.

http://www.parentdish.com/2010/07/22/mo … aughter%2F

1. nlowman profile image60
      nlowmanposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would imagine so. I have two cousins (from two different aunts) who are mixed race, and people are often confused as to how I have "black" cousins.

The mother's response to her niece at the close of the article is perfect, "All I could think of was 'It's the difference between fluffernutter, peanut butter and Nutella. All different flavors, but all tasty'." It would be great if the general public could accept that as well. Not really sure why society is so afraid of "different."

2. bsscorpio8 profile image61
      bsscorpio8posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Those "types" of people suck!!!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 7 years ago in reply to this

(couldn't help myself!)

1. bsscorpio8 profile image61

As much as I think they suck, I would not wish them to be riddled with bullet holes. Or would I? Hmmmmm....

...i don't even know what the posts said...j/k with you...

1. bsscorpio8 profile image61

Doh!!!

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was once walking here in Dallas area, and carrying my baby, I am brown skinned and my baby is whitish because of her dad -- he is white. They asked me if I adopted the baby or I was the nanny

I just smiled and said NO, shes a gift I said. I was hurt a bit, then I looked at my baby. I hope one day people become sensitive. Maybe she asked it to have just a simple conversation with me

that's too bad...i think some people just don't think...and i'm sure your baby is very beautiful...obviously your child caught that person's eye!

2. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 7 years ago

A simple, "No" would answer the question and shut the questionner up (hopefully).
    Depending on how aggressive and nosy the questioner is, your friend might consider these variations.

Is he adopted?
    No. Are you?
    Why would you ask such a stupid question?
    And that would be your business because.....?
    You're kidding, right? He's the spitting image of his mom.
    No. We bought him at a yard sale.
    No. He was genetically engineered.
    No. He's American.
    Yes. He was the pick of the litter!

3. BennyTheWriter profile image83
    BennyTheWriterposted 7 years ago

That's sad.  I don't like to think that so many people are closed-minded these days.  Of course, to give that person the benefit of the doubt, it might have just been a careless attempt to make or extend conversation.

4. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

It's sad that a family of various backgrounds is not acceptable to some people. Growing up in a non-native home brought difficulties for me, siblings and parents. tongue I would think they themselves are a minority tho, don't you? ones that find mixed families..unacceptable, that is tongue

1. Sab Oh profile image58
      Sab Ohposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I would imagine that in most cases it is not a matter of not finding someone "acceptable" but just old fashioned stupidity.

working