jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Ted Kopple and Free Press

1. leeberttea profile image61
    leebertteaposted 6 years ago

OMG! Kopple is making the case for controling free speech on the internet. Esentially saying journalists should be licensed and that the 18 century concept of the free press doesn't fit in with today's internet technology. This guy is a joke, an Obama mouthpiece for shutting us up and controlling the media!

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image72
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't normally agree with the gist of a lot of what you write, but I am completely in agreement that the Internet must be kept away from the grubby hands of ANY group that might seek it control it. I make no distinctions between government and private interests, however -- NO ONE should get to control this platform for free speech. I do not, however, think Ted Koppel has all that much power. I am also not convinced that Obama is any more of a control freak than was Bush-Cheney.

leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We'll see. Trust me, the media is the next target of this President. Mark my words, you're going to see net neutrality passed and other fair speech type legislation.

I don't trust the media anyway. I stopped watching any news outlets ages ago, and I rarely read the newspaper. For me, the media is already a dead duck - I certainly don't trust FOX, but I don't trust ANY news agency... the BBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN -- why should I sit passively while someone else decides what I see and hear?

But the Internet is different. On the Internet it is ME who gets to decide what I see, read and hear. The reason I don't trust the Democrats on this is that they have not repealed any of the laws brought in Bush-Cheney. In other words, Bush-Cheney STANK to high heaven... but if the present gov't leaves in place the old administration's laws for snooping and stifling free speech, logic forces us to say that they are basically the SAME as the previous administration (on this issue).

Your problem (down there in States, where I am not situated), is that you've got no one to replace Obama's Democrats WITH.

Going to replace them with a Republican? Don't make me laugh. Show me fifty Republicans fighting for the rights of common, decent, ordinary people in the face of BP, and maybe I'll sit up and take notice.

leebertteaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hence the Tea Party. Republicians aren't going to get away with what they did in the past. People are going to hold them accountable for bringing about the smaller government they are always espousing even as they continue to grow it!

I do not share your optimism

2. MikeNV profile image72
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

Is that guy still alive tongue

One will always speak on behalf of their own self interests.

Sadly Obama now has the power to shut down the Internet at any time.

3. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 6 years ago

Ted Kopple?  Isn't he the one that looks like Howdy Doody?  People still pay attention to him?  The ones we need to worry about are Obama and his Czars.

working