jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Can Meg Whitman buy her way into the California Governor's mansion?

1. MyMastiffPuppies profile image74
    MyMastiffPuppiesposted 6 years ago

Whitman has spent $100 million(a good deal of it her own money) on the governor's race in California,yet Jerry Brown still leads in most polls. What does this say about the attitude of California voters?

1. Freeway Flyer profile image85
      Freeway Flyerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know if she can buy the job. She might not have to. Given the general anger about government in our state and the country in general, she might not have to do or say much of anything to win. Democrats control the state legislature in California, the national congress, and the presidency, so they are going to take most of the heat for the current crisis.

Of course, California remains a liberal state, so Brown still has a shot. What's crazy to me is that he will be the guy running. Talk about a career politician! Don't they have anyone new to offer? If Brown wins, it will either prove that California is filled with die hard Democrats, or that voters here will generally go for the career politician over the businessperson.

2. ledefensetech profile image82
      ledefensetechposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't know what it says about the voters, but it makes a pretty good argument that you can't just spend money on an election and get a win.  Which is kind of comforting if you think about it.

2. Shadesbreath profile image91
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

We're doomed either way.

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Why anyone would want the job is beyond me.