jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)

China is becoming .....

1. wildorangeflower profile image55
    wildorangeflowerposted 6 years ago

the worlds biggest power in terms of its economy -- sooner!
    plus its military is increasing!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_ … an_economy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100816/ap_ … a_military

1. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 6 years ago in reply to this

More then their rise in their economy is the fact that their military is starting to do some sabre rattling against us !

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 … s-buildup/

1. alternate poet profile image79
        alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hmmmm   yes - you could say that, but then they are doing at round their own coast - about US and S Korean military 'excercises' almost within sight of the Chinese coastline and right along the edge of their Territorial waters.  Now when they get around to joint excercises with Cuba along the US coast I would expect to hear the same 'sabre rattling', only louder big_smile

2. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image62
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 6 years ago in reply to this

China has the largest population  and has an area equal to that of USA.  Then what is wrong in expanding their military?  Look at the ratio of the arsenals of USA and China?  It is too low and they have the right to build a large arsenal.  But I suspect whether they can use them effectively in times of war.  Having weapons are no use..  they should be used when required. 

During the Arab-Israeli war of 1967 and 1973,  the Arab arsenals were very large and everyone would have thought that Israel was no match for them. But within a day or two, all the arms including aircrafts were destroyed on the ground and in a week, Israelis were at the doors of Arab capitals.  So, no one need to worry about Chinese weapons.

1. alternate poet profile image79

I would agree with this - and the overwhelming majority of Chinese talk about thier defense, I have never heard anybody mention attacking anything outside China.

2. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 6 years ago

Money is power right? I wonder shoud we really worry because of their rise or should we worry because of our decline?

wildorangeflowerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We should't worry unless it affects us in a way which we can't do anything, still we have choices, this is just a discussion on the shifting economic order and let us see what comes from there.....

1. lady_love158 profile image59
        lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes but why is the US and Japan losing their dominance? What is the cause? China has a huge population of consumers with  rising incomes anxious to buy needed good, why won't they buy US and Japanese goods? If they did would the US and Japan be able to hold onto their economic dominance? Who is to blame? Is it industry or government?

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
          Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What US and Japanese goods? Most of the plastic crap is made in China now. wink

1. lady_love158 profile image59
            lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't we make cars and airplanes? We produce a lot of food that we export. Our GDP is 14 trillion dollars we must make something that people want to buy!

2. alternate poet profile image79

You are right - and every other country buys it flat out big_smile

2. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

We should worry because they are still a communist country ... may be.

1. bileygur profile image59
        bileygurposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well the communist part is not really that would worry me, but the treatment of people.   Lets hope they will be kept locally if they are "coming".

3. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 6 years ago

We will all be joining the "party" soon...

Or maybe they will all come here, get drunk at a T1tt13 bar and stay...

wildorangeflowerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

or they will just stay in China, there are lots of opportunities there now as they silently beating Japan in terms of economy~

4. Greek One profile image79
    Greek Oneposted 6 years ago

i think we should invade now before they get too big

5. ftclick profile image61
    ftclickposted 6 years ago

They are young and very disciplined. Looks like the dynasty is back in full force. Most intelligent large corporate businessmen know China holds all the cards now.  Until the avg Americans start thinking more with patriotism and what we can do for "our country"  it will be the US catering to their demands, unfortunately. But for now, there's still too much greed and independence to do anything you wish. For example, would China even consider gay marriage... those proponents would be deep sixed in no time.

6. alternate poet profile image79
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

In my own opinion - China is more likely to bring stability and progress to the table than anything else.  They are pragmatic, Communism is blending into Capitalism which is more the best of both worlds than the worse - so far.

The thousand or so Chinese that I have taught or worked with (so far) have no thoughts of any kind of world domination or territorial adventures.  They do want Taiewan 'back' but are preapred to wait for them to come of their own accord, they are all in favour of North Korea 'coming out' and taking a more reasonable stance (and the government is applying gentle but firm pressure to this end)  we get North Korean kids doing student exchanges with Chinese and life in N Korea seems to be poor but pretty normal compared to the rabid rantings of some media.

I can't see any obvious threat from China taking the top economy spot at some time fairly soon, they do worry that some failing economy will try to attack them to try and stop their dominance of world markets, and after all every war has been about economics at base.

7. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Big country is big, news at 11.

working