jump to last post 1-50 of 77 discussions (460 posts)

Glenn Beck Restoring Honor On 8/28

1. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 6 years ago

So is anyone here going?
    http://www.glennbeck.com/828/

1. Evan G Rogers profile image84
      Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i'm still trying to figure out why a president of a democratic/republic needs a statue that big.

lady_love158posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do you think he picked it out? I wonder how big the Obama memorial is going to be?

2. ledefensetech profile image82
        ledefensetechposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That would be because it was built between 1914 and 1917, they heyday of Progressive ideology in this country.  Dictators need massive monuments, don't you know. 

Unfortunately I can't go to 8/28, but my dad is going.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
          Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Dictators? Are you crazy? Lincoln was the greatest president.

1. Sylvie Strong profile image60
            Sylvie Strongposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lincoln was a great president.  But those directly affected by his decisions to suspend the write of habeas corpus may have believed that the term "dictator" did not miss the mark by much.

1. Tim_511 profile image78
              Tim_511posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hey, something we finally agree on!  Probably won't happen too often, though. 

Lincoln had many great qualities and his desire to preserve the union was admirable, but the Constitution stands even in tough times.

1. 60
                stoneyyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, it doesn't.  The latest demonstration of the fact was amply illustrated during 'W's' Presidency.  He utilized the Constitution as executive toilet paper.

I'm not a huge fan of President Bush, since he governed as a somewhat conservative moderate instead of a conservative and frankly, made some major mistakes.  However, I do respect him.

Show me where he utilized the Constitution as "executive toilet paper".

1. Jeff Berndt profile image92
                    Jeff Berndtposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Warrantless wiretaps, for a start.

2. Jeff Berndt profile image92

"But those directly affected by [Lincoln's] decisions to suspend the write of habeas corpus may have believed that the term "dictator" did not miss the mark by much."

The Constitution specifically mentions two incidences when the federal government may suspend the Writ of Habeas Corpus: during cases of invasion or rebellion. Article 1, section 9, if you want to look it up for yourself.

The Southern states were certainly in rebellion, and even if you concede that the several states have the right to secede, Lee's army definitely invaded the remaining United States. Seems like a suspension was pretty Constitutional, even if it wasn't desirable.

1. bohica profile image61
                bohicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

At Last! Someone that knows his history!! A pleasure to meet you!

He might know history, but I'm a bit worried about his understanding of the Constitution.

How could the writ of Habeas Corpus be suspended by Lincoln? that's a Legislative power, hence, it is in Article 1 and not article 2. Lincoln usurped legislative power from the Congress in order to take away the rights of his citizens . This act is an act of a tyrant -- isn't this exactly the same sort of thing that led us to secede from Great Britain? the executive acting on his own without regard to the parliament?

Also, here's a little conundrum for ye: How could Lincoln have invaded the south? were they a foreign country, as per the South's declarations? or were they 'rebel states' that were using their constitutional right to secession?  --- if they were foreign, then Lincoln invaded them without a Declaration of War. If they were still part of the Union, as is commonly the zeitgeist of the time, then he launched an all-out campaign of total war against fellow US citizens without taking into account the senate or the house.

Well, then. Were the Confederate states invading the Union? No! The South never once sent an army into northern land until 1862! Lincoln had suspended Habeas Corpus by April 19th, 1861. Lincoln (tyrannically) usurped legislative power from Congress, and then (tyrannically) suspended Habeas Corpus during a time and situation that would not have made it Constitutional even if it were done by Congress.

Lincoln was a tyrant. He was either an Uber-George W. Bush, or he was a mild-King George III. either way, just about everyone MUST agree that it was tyranny.

(oh, and before you ask. No, i'm not a racist - i think my icon shows that I'm rather open to the other races. And No, i'm not a southerner - I was bern'n'raised in Ohio)

"hat's a Legislative power, hence, it is in Article 1 and not article 2."
                    Mea maxima culpa. I stand corrected. The power to suspend habeas corpus is indeed reserved for the legislature, and my defense of Lincoln doing it was sloppy reasoning on my part.

The government, through act of congress, could have done it constitutionally. The executive branch acting alone was in violation of the Constitution. Thanks, Evan, for calling me on my mistake.

I still disagree with you about whether the Southern states were engaged in rebellion or not. Attacking federal troops at a federal fort sure looks like an act of rebellion to me.

"Also, here's a little conundrum for ye: How could Lincoln have invaded the south?"
                    You're going to have to refresh my memory on that: did someone say Lincoln "invaded" the Confederacy? I would say that he sent troops to suppress a rebellion, much as Governor Bowdoin did when Captain Shays rebelled in Massachusetts (1786).

"were they 'rebel states' that were using their constitutional right to secession?"
                    Eh, I'm not entirely certain that secession is accepted as a state's right. But it's not entirely clear that it isn't, either.

"The South never once sent an army into northern land until 1862!"
                    I still call that an invasion, and alas for the Confederacy, it legitimized any and all belligerent responses from the North.

"during a time and situation that would not have made it Constitutional even if it were done by Congress."

Except the South was in a state of rebellion (attacking a federal fort=rebellion in the same way as if the Kentucky National Guard were to attack Ft. Knox today).

Though I must agree that Lincoln was usurping Congressional power when he suspended Habeas Corpus. There's just no logical way to conclude otherwise.

2. Sylvie Strong profile image60

Your constitutional analysis is correct, but that is not really responsive to my point.  I said that someone that directly experienced suspension of the writ of habeas corpus might believe that Lincoln was a dictator.  I disagree that it was appropriate at that time.  But I can tell the difference from policies I disagree with and acts that are unconstitutional.  I respectfully submit that are there are several on this forum that would benefit from following my example.

No, the constitutional analysis is inaccurate. How can Lincoln, the executive leader who's powers are outlined clearly and concisely in Article 2, have suspended habeas corpus?

The ability to suspend this right is listed in Article 1, and is thus a Legislative power. Congress is the only entity that is allowed to suspend Habeas corpus, and even then it is only to be done during a time of rebellion.

But, even if we ignore Lincoln's usurpation of power - an act with shocking similarities to the very same reasons quoted in the Declaration of Independence as to why the colonies broke with England - we need to ask "how can a state be in open rebellion against the federal government, when the state itself has the right to secede?".

It's nonsense on stilts, and for some reason the entire community of historians and constitutional scholars can't seem to figure this out.

(and, no, i'm not only NOT a racist but I'm also not a southerner)

This is the second post in a row where you deny that you are either a racist or a Southerner.  Take it easy.  I was not going to suggest either.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image84

the southern states weren't in an act of rebellion - they were exercising their right of secession.

Amendment 10 clearly states, as does just about every other document discussing the rights of states at the time of the ratification of the Constitution, as does the Articles of Confederation (the document in power before the constitution), that secession is indeed a right of a state.

"Any power" not given to the federal government nor restricted to the states, is a state issue. Secession was not only understood to be a valid check on government usurpation of power, but it was understood to be a power of the states.

The Constitution, the Articles of Confederacy, the Declaration of Independence, the Address of the General Assembly to the People of the commonwealth of Virginia (Jan 23, 1799), the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798, the Virginia Resolutions of 1798, the Federalist Papers and many many many many more documents ALL agree with the right of a state to secede.

Were the 13 colonies initiating an "act of rebellion" against the king of Great Britain, or were they simply exerting their rights as citizens to hold their government in power?

The recent, delicious, book by Thomas E. Woods jr., "Nullification" thoroughly dismantles ANY argument against secession. Basically the question you need to ask yourself is "is it really that important to preserve the union?".

(and, no, i'm not a racist, nor am I a southerner)

3. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

YOu not ferrin ta 'ol honest Abe, are ya? You one a them thar Rebels? WELL? ARE YOU A REBEL? The statue wasn't made normal size cause lincoln was a BIG DUDE!

Honest Abe - the 17 foot tall giant who ate freedom for breakfast, Legislative power for Lunch, and wiped his bum with the Constitution.

2. bgamall profile image86
      bgamallposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, these people are demagogues. Look it up. Neocon's are the most dangerous people on the face of the Earth. They are interested in nothing more than world domination.

Sarah Palin specifically  is a dominionist. Dominionism is the belief that you make physical war for Christ. Of course Christ said his kingdom was not of this world and ordered Peter to put away his sword.

That of course, has been lost on Sarah Palin who is without a doubt one of the most corrupted and dishonest politicians on the face of the earth. Palin could very well end up being the first female Hitler.

1. ledefensetech profile image82

Let's see some proof.  If you know so much, surely you have proof.  You wouldn't stoop to character assassination....oh wait, that seems to be a hallmark of lefty politics.  Yeah you would stoop to character assassination.

"...character assassination....oh wait, that seems to be a hallmark of lefty politics."

Why would you make such a ridiculous claim?
          Ldt, you don't appear to have a firm grip on reality. Beck has been trying to assassinate President Obama's character since he was elected. As you well know, he's the one who accused him of hating white people.

1. weholdthesetruths profile image61
            weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Obama has revealed his own lack of character.   Nobody could defame him, notm atter what they said.   Reality is worse.

2. Tim_511 profile image78

Do you even know what a neocon is?  Leftists never can tell the difference between a neoconservative, which is a liberal that has come to see a small amount of reality in the area of foreign policy (although I disagree with them on part of it), and a conservative, who has an understanding of history and human nature that a leftist will never have.

On the other hand, if you really believe that Sarah Palin is a dominionist, I already know that you know almost nothing about political issues.

Oh, come now.   He KNOWS lots and lots of history and stuff about politics and government and all that wonderful stuff.   Except it's just a lot of stuff that ain't so.    Sad.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image84

neo cons suck. They think it's ok to launch wars and torture people.

Liberals suck. they think it's ok to take away your money and choose how to spend it for you.

... and that just about sums up the reason why Neither the president nor congress, nor the democrats, nor the republicans have higher than a 50% approval rating.

3. Druid Dude profile image60

They're all interested in world DOM. WTO, NAFTA, weak illegal IMM laws (Actually, the laws would be alright, if enforcement wasn't so non-existant. They all want a peice of that NEW WORLD ORDER. DEMS GOPS everyone of 'em!

3. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am not sure, but it feels like Beck and The Tea Party Leaders have gotten togeather to try to Unite the Party Under a Christian banner. To make the claim Gods party.

A Party to restore Honor back to the U.S.. The timming feels like it to me.
      Not sure what this is all about yet, need to be still and watch, it will all come out I believe.

Reeguardless of the spin and crap talk- The Repubs are in Trouble, The Dems are proving they dont know what to do, and Obamas hidden agenda is exposed, so in truth we are drifting. Repeating 1933 all over again.

I think a lot of folks at that rally are saying we need a real leader to step up, and are asking God to help.

This country could be in more trouble than we realise.

As long as you use your emotions to measure ideas, you can be certain that you will remain clueless about those ideas.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Glenn is a bright but religious mormon nut.

1. Druid Dude profile image60

Richard Nixon was a bright but religious Quaker nut. GOP likes nuts, don't they?

1. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...all politicians are nuts...the religious ones are just more dangerous and "nuttier."

2. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

I've been laughing since 3:37!!!

Does that mean I won't be seeing you there?

That would be an uncommonly sensible thing for chris to do; so no I'd not expect to see her there.

2. KFlippin profile image61
      KFlippinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Cool........

3. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Abrahommaobama Lincoln.

4. Mighty Mom profile image90
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I think it's great what the SOWF is doing. Really sad that the GOVERNMENT doesn't do more for our veterans and their families.
    As to this particular event, Beck et al missed the grand poobah of opportunities! 9/11 is a SATURDAY. IDK, maybe there's another big rally that day -- in front of the proposed mosque site in NYC.

Meanwhile, I looked up Martin Luther King's niece Alveda. Here's an interesting link:

http://skepticalbrotha.wordpress.com/ca … veda-king/

1. lovemychris profile image81
      lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

look at the fine print: FIRST, any money raised goes to pay for the extravaganza.
      With a 32 million dollar pay-check, you'd think if he REALLY cared about vets, he'd foot that bill.

Or become a Democrat, as they do FAR more for vets than Republicans.

ps: still laughing. bwahahahahaha

5. ledefensetech profile image82
    ledefensetechposted 6 years ago

So you're reduced to quoting a wordpress blog by some left wing nutjob.  All I hear from him is black, black, black.  Nothing about us coming together and being one people, which was Dr. King's dream. 

This guy seems to believe that anyone who is African American can do no wrong.  His writings on the Jena 6 are especially repugnant.  It this what you're reduced to?  The racist bleating of a forever disgruntled should-be member of the New Black Panther Party?  Sad.

"So you're reduced to quoting a wordpress blog by some left wing nutjob.  All I hear from him is black, black, black."

I'll take a left-wing nutjob any day over a right-wing nutjob!

6. ledefensetech profile image82

Funny.  My dad is a vet and he doesn't see how the Democrats have done anything but ruin the country he spent so much of his adult life protecting.  You might listen to vets instead of that crazy little voice in your head.

And at least the 8/28 people are paying their bills instead of expecting the taxpayer to pick up the tab.

The current state of disrepair started with Reagan, allowed to fester by Bush I and brought to a new nadir by Bush II. Obama is repairing it despite efforts by the Party of NO! to sabotage his remedies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opini … ef=opinion

The ignorant Teatards are being used by the billionaires for their own selfish ends.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/opini … ef=opinion

7. 0
    roberta39posted 6 years ago

I wish I could go to see Glenn Beck in person.  People should take what he offers and it is to look back at history.  It doesn't matter if you are to the right, left or in the middle.  We need to look at the history of the world and of the thinking of the founding fathers to see where we are now and where we are going. Glenn Beck teaches this.

Agreed, but don't expect people like chris to share this view.  They're so tied into the indoctrination they got in school, that they can't even comprehend anything other than a Marxist ideological victory.

1. 0
        roberta39posted 6 years ago in reply to this

True.  This is what is taught in the public schools, if they are taught anything of substance at all.

8. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago

The only way Glen Beck could restore his honor is by seppuku - and if that's what the shindig is for, I might attend.

Good thing for you, he doesn't feel the same way.  That, in the end, is the difference between you and him.  He recognizes your right to spew hate like "he should commit seppuku" and doesn't hold your hate against you.  You just hate him because he's a good man, and you're just full of hate.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
        Doug Hughesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you are going to quote me - quote me exactly for what I said - which was NOT "he should commit seppuku".  I was responding to the "Restoring Honor" theme - given the sorry state of his 'honor', it seemed the only way for him.   But he won't - he's not through cashing in.

I did quote you and you said I quote:

You weren't responding to the Restoring Honor theme, you were commenting that you'd like to see him commit seppuku.  Wanting someone to commit suicide because you don't agree with them, that's hate speech no matter how much you try to claim otherwise.

Looks like there's less difference between you and the so-called haters in the Tea Party, isn't there?

2. Ralph Deeds profile image69

Glenn Beck is a pathetic loser.

9. lovemychris profile image81

Wrong!
    We hate for the content of their character. Beck hates for the color of their skin.
    Don't think so? Don't kid yourself. Everything he's doing is a cynical attempt to take-over the role of "oppressed and overcoming the struggle". What struggle? What super-hero underwear to put on today?
    What size esspresso? How many vials of tears he'll need for the "snow job of the century"?

sing this to the tune of Felix the Cat:

Beckles the Clown
    The mongering, cloddering Clown
    He takes a job and twists the truth
    He acts and stumbles and hides the truth!
    Beckles the Clown
    The stuttering, uttering Clown
    The day he dreads
    His face turns red
    America turns around.

Veterans Today once had a list of all the votes that Congress took on veterans issues...it was shocking the difference between the pro-veterans, which were the Democrats, and the Republicans. They really don't put their money where their mouth is! They like to yahoo war, but when it's over, it's sayonara sister.

8:36 and still laughing. ahahahahahahahahahaha

10. ledefensetech profile image82

Wow, you really are delusional aren't you.  Believe what you want, but if you can't provide video showing Beck saying he hates people for the color of their skin, you're nuts.  I suppose you didn't see the show where he invited a number of conservative blacks to the show or the show where he walked the streets of Harlem.  Oh wait, you don't watch the show, you just say stuff out of ignorance, sorry I forgot.

11. dakota ray profile image61
    dakota rayposted 6 years ago

what?

12. Godwin Nwando profile image60
    Godwin Nwandoposted 6 years ago

I like glen Beck, even though some of his conspiracy theories are whack and are always one sided. But I know he isnt racist and cares about people of color.

But I knew this was a charade when Sarah Palin went,

13. PrettyPanther profile image85
    PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago

http://other98.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/flow-chart-blog.jpg

This is the kind of hate speech that would make MLK turn over in his grave.

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
        SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am replying to the large advertizement of comparison of King and Beck that the previous post was responding to

it is truly sad when someone will go to such length to malign someone...twisting events for a story of negative impact

here's another way of looking at Beck's history...he even talked about on a show once

he talked about how awful he had been and the trials he went through in being a bad character example...but he also, as I do, learned to look at himself and changed what needed to be changed, as a good thing

he is imperfect as we all are, but that doesn't mean you keep doing the bad, you rise up, wake up and change, and keep working on getting better

no one can objectively view the rally today and honestly say it was a bad thing with no redeeming value and character upliftment...except those that don't know God, I guess

2. PrettyPanther profile image85
        PrettyPantherposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Really?  How so?

Because MLK promoted an idea.   MLK was not a righteous man.  He wasn't perfect, he had personal faults.   But we remember him for his courage to speak out for an idea that wasn't faulty.   That men would cease to judge others by their skin (or any other such distinction), but by the content of thier character.   

The attacks on Beck are not particularly motivated by judgements of his character, but are all about the fact that the critics hate his politics, and thus, seek to destroy him publicly.   It is the very opposite of what MLK pled for, the very opposite of what he spoke for, what he dreamed of.   

MLK wasn't perfect, as I said, but he knew that millions of people were judged less than worthy merely for how they looked.   And millions are now judged not worthy, and publicly maligned, merely for NOT being of the same politics.    MLK made it about principle, not himself.   And for that, he would be turning in his grave.  Because race and poltiics have become the prototype and the new prejudice, where old racists have now come to express new prejudices about a person, merely on the politics of their ballot.

1. PrettyPanther profile image85

Well, I personally believe that it is incredibly presumptuous of you to believe that you know what Martin Luther King would believe about anything.  I don't know what he would think; I just know what I think, and this poster illustrates it perfectly.

It is just as Chris says.  It is a satirical way of showing the cheapness of Glenn Beck's character, the triviality of his "successes," and the irony that a man who is profiting by stirring up fear and anger has the gall to elevate himself as the leader of a movement to "Restore Honor."

What a load of horse manure.

What's presumptuous?   MLK clearly expressed PRINCIPLED BELIEFS.   To assume he held them is neither presumptuous nor illogical.   Those beliefs are shared by a vast majority of Americans - less among liberals than anyone else, though.   

One can certain criticise Beck.   It's a free country.   We ENCOURAGE criticsm and analysis of ideas.   But there is no criticism of Beck's ideas or what he says here.   Only the fostering of hate, by people desperate to divide us.

1. Randy Godwin profile image95
                Randy Godwinposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"But there is no criticism of Beck's ideas or what he says here."

Are you kidding me?  Where have you been?

No, there isn't.   Beck talked in large themes and developed concepts and principles.   Not ONE of the critics here have addressed a single one of them.   Nope, just "Beck promotes racism" and "Beck promotes hate" and "Beck conspires to hurt people".   

Address the principles he and other speakers addressed, and then critique them.   Or, just keep on hating.   Frankly, you couldn't address what he said even if you tried, you haven't the intellectual muscle to understand such things.

"Frankly, you couldn't address what he said even if you tried, you haven't the intellectual muscle to understand such things."

Yes, you are the ideal which many hope to emulate!  What a joke!  LOLOLOL!

2. Godwin Nwando profile image60
                  Godwin Nwandoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

MLK  had plagerized his work as Dr and has had extramarital affairs.
                  It easy to look at a flaws of a wman, especially when you are not scrutinized yourself, but as a Black man I still follow MLK and still like Glenn Beck,( who has never be accused by either of the two things that MLK has.

All that poster says is that MLK was a saint and Beck as a prankster, but the poster says none oth e the other side of the the story for either person.

To be fair, if we concede that MLK had personal flaws, there were still objective accomplishments.  Beck is not of the same stature.  He does not even approach that stature.  I agree that Beck should be judged for his ideas. But when he wants to take on the mantle of MLK for publicity purposes, it is fair to point out that they are not exactly of the same stature.

"The attacks on Beck are not particularly motivated by judgements of his character, but are all about the fact that the critics hate his politics, and thus, seek to destroy him publicly."

The attacks on Beck are based on the lunacy of what he has said on his program, nothing more. Even to mention him in the same context as King is sacrilege.

Yes, your religios faith in liberalism is being polluted by infidels speaking sacrilege on your holy grounds.     Do you advocate stoning or beheading?

3. Sylvie Strong profile image60

I completely agree.  Discussing Glenn Beck's history as a radio broadcaster and his possible lack of stature as compared to MLK is a form of hate speech.  If hate speech has ever existed, it finds its worst form in this poster.  Not only is MLK turning in his grave, but Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Jesus and Buddha are equally unhappy.

14. ledefensetech profile image82

What are you going to do Tim.  These nutjobs got their hopes up when their Glorious Leader was elected, but now that mainstream America sees what they really stand for, they'll never get another shot at ultimate power.  No wonder they're frantically pushing the same old tired buttons of racism, imperialism, the west is evil, etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Personally I consider this a good thing.  Let them spout off their ignorance and stupidity, it's funny in a way that they can't see past their own prejudices to see reality.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Once again, nice straw man...kudos to the master.

15. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

http://www.newscorpse.com/Pix/Humor/beck-restoring-honor.jpg

16. ledefensetech profile image82

Awww, did you get that from Obama's propaganda minister?  Oops, I meant the National Council of the Arts.

17. Ron Montgomery profile image60

If glennbeck was really interested in building bridges he would move his hatefest to another, less hallowed location....

Wait, that reasoning can only be used to belittle Muslim Imams, (especially the darker ones).

White Christians can shit wherever they want to I guess..

Last time I checked, Christians didn't slam planes into skyscrapers and then use their religion to justify it.

It's awesome that when you have nothing else you resort to name calling.  And you wonder why people have gotten tired of the same old liberal mantra.

You think you have the right to sling outrageous BS at will and not have anyone call you out for it.

Sorry, you are wrong.

2. Stump Parrish profile image61
        Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your right, they prefer to blow up abortion clinics and kill fellow christian doctors and use their bible to justify it. A terrorist is still a terrorist ib this case the only thing that's different is the god giving the orders to kill another human being.

1. Godwin Nwando profile image60

True and although I think Becks rally was just, so do I think that the Mosque should be built

18. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

I want to see a new show with Beck and Olbermann together! I dislike both equally.

Ever watch Beck?

I have. He's pathetic and possibly mentally ill.

19. mikelong profile image83
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

Glenn Beck has no honor......so I find it to be hilarious that he will be out to "restore our nation's" image...

Beck is beyond a shock jock....

That guy is both a hypocrite and a charlatan.... He's the last person I would want to identify with...in any way.

Martin Luther King will be rolling in his grave..

Ever watch the show?

Have you?...

...sober?

20. thisisoli profile image66
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I like how Glenn Beck keeps aligning himself with the founding Fathers who were for seperation of church and state, as well as known atheists, then constantly talks about how religion (Christianity) is so important to the American way of life.

And while Christians as a whole dont slam planes in to buildings, unless they get sick of the IRS, they do bomb and intimidate countries until they feel the need to fly planes in to said agressors buildings.

And yes you might claim that not all christians support Americas overseas agendas, however very few muslims support flying planes in to buildings.

Glenn Beck and people like him are the reason America has such a bad world image.

Try reading a book sometime.  None of the founders were atheists, at least not in the way it's understood today.  Why else would they have opened the Convention with a prayer?  Why does Congress have moments of prayer?

I could care less about how the world feels about America.  If anything the world is lucky to have us.  Who else would you like running things?  Europe?  Already tried that, they're the original imperialists, by the way.  Russia?  As the former Soviet Republics how that went.  China?  Ask the Chinese Nationalists, oh wait you can't find any because they were massacred by Mao. 

Personally I'm all for military withdrawal from the rest of the world.  Let the world burn.  It'll serve them right.

1. thisisoli profile image66
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Read a book and start looking at around the 1950's to find out about 'in God we trust' and prayer in teh political institution.

ledefensetech never mentioned our national motto, so the fact that it became official in the 1950s is irrelevant, especially when it has been around and on money for well over 100 years.  You ought to get out to some parts of Texas that aren't full of leftist nuts and you'll learn some American history.

As well, NONE of the Founding Fathers were atheists, not even one.  A few were Deists, but there is no solid evidence that any were atheists.  The most commonly used examples, Jefferson and Franklin, both believed in God.  Even Tom Paine believed in a God who would judge the dead, and you won't find anyone who could be considered a founder who was more of a skeptic than he.  Try reading some more books yourself, sir.

There are liberals in Texas?  Get outta here!  LOL!

There have been attempts to rewrite history and change the character of the founding fathers.  But they were mostly deists.  This is not inconsistent with believing in God but they were not Christians.  Deism was a common belief system among intellectual elites during colonial times.  This is why I find it funny when the anti-intellectual and anti-elite crowd invokes the founding fathers.  Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck would literally have hated the founding fathers.

No, they would not.   Palin and Beck are not shallow like you, who hates for mere disagreement on someting personal.

I have never, ever seen anything remotely resembling hate in Sylvie's posts.  If it exists, would you mind showing me?  I find her debating  style to be quite admirable, so I am interested to know what, exactly, you would consider to be hateful.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59

Sylvie scared the poo-poo out of the wingnut by challenging what is an axiom to them - and a false one. Sylvie proposed (correctly) that the founding fathers were Deists who deliberately designed and erected a wall of separation between church and state.

The Palin faction of the teabaggers operated in denial of the FACT that this is a SECULAR democracy that has NO religious favorites - that the religious opinions of evangelicals has a place - in evangelical churches and in the private lives of the believers, whether those believers are citizens or elected officials.  The tenets of ANY religion - evangelical or Islamic have no place in secular law.

You misrepresent the founders AND "separation of church and state".   First, some of the founders WERE Diests.   True.   But only some.  An array of religions were represented.   By far the majority believed in God in some fashion.   

Second, there is no constitutional "separation of church and state", as in, an injunction from public officials being religious.   Quite the opposite, the only restriction on Congress, was that it may NOT establish a state church or state religion.   

The Church of England was (is) a state church, with backing by the government.   It's influence over the state is wrong, as well as the temptation for the political class to attempt to interfere in matters of religion.   THIS is what the founders sought to ensure never happens, and thus, wrote it into the Constitution. 

We're quite comfortable with the state not interfereing with religions, and also with the churches having no influence over the state.   But at the same time,  tax breaks, the accomodation of faith, and the expression of faith in public or even governmental proceedings is neither prohibited nor desired.   The freedom of worship and expression still applies to presidents and Congressmen and even gatherings at the Lincoln Memorial.    So stop the propaganda and falsehoods.

You are so right.  I am much more shallow than Sara Palin.  Your criticism strikes me to the core.  And I want to thank you for avoiding ad hominem attacks against others and focusing on responding to their ideas.

How would you know whether palin was shallow or deep?   How would any of us know whether your criticsm and declaration of "shallow" is anything other than a reflex action to all those who disagree with you?

Yeah!  She's smart enough to invent new words and everything!

Well, your response only makes sense if you take the language you quoted and divorce it from the post you wrote that I am responding to. I made the point that the Founding Fathers were intellectual elites and given that Sarah Palin is anti-elite and anti-intellectual, she would literally have hated them.  Here is how you responded:

"No, they would not.   Palin and Beck are not shallow like you, who hates for mere disagreement on someting personal."   

Do you see the irony in your response?  In fact, you viciously attack anyone that disagrees with you.  You do not respond to their arguments or viewpoints but attack their person.  And then, ironically, accuse others of doing what you are so guilty of.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image69

"How would you know whether palin was shallow or deep?"

By watching a couple of times her ignorant and vacuous comments on television?

There were some Deists, true - Jefferson and Franklin being the best known - but many were Christians.  In fact, the majority considered themselves to be Christian.  At least, I'm glad that you aren't one of those history deniars who claims that they were mostly atheists.

Anti-intellectual - now that is a laugh!  I suppose I got my MS in geology because I hate thought, study, and knowledge (there is no intent to brag, everyone else here may have theirs as well)?  I've never know a more intelligent group than the people I am around, and we are almost all conservative Christians.  Anti-elite?  Absolutely.  I'm an American and as good as anyone else.  We don't have elites here.

1. TamCor profile image81
                TamCorposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you--it drives me crazy when others come on here, being condescending and patronizing to the people they don't agree with...

I am so happy that the people you surround yourself with are the smartest people you know.  That must give you comfort. 

The notion that Joe the Plumber and his brethren rolled up their sleeves and founded our nation is erroneous.  The brightest minds of their time did, and there was disagreement and contention but there was some uniformity on how paternalistic the whole process was.  The undemocratic checks on majority rule found in our Constitution reflects a deep concern of the dangers of the mob. 

The tea party movement is certainly anti-intellectual and anti-elite.  If you disagree with their tenets, that's fine.

Thank you for the sarcastic comment wink,   I did go overboard a bit there.  You must understand my point, though.

If by "intellectualism", you mean that the founders were among the most brilliant men of their time, then we are in agreement, and so is the tea party.  I still reject the idea of "elites" in a country where we believe that "all men are created equal".  If by "anti-intellectual", you mean that we reject modern stupidity as being modern stupidity, then I'll freely admit to fitting your definition of "anti-intellectual".  The concepts of independence, freedom, natural rights, consent of the governed, personal responsibility and limited government are as valid and important now as they were 234 years ago.

I'd like to hear your responses to the above, but in addition, I'd like you to give examples of anti-intellectualism and "anti-elitism" in conservatism and in the tea party.  Leftists everywhere accuse conservatives of such and then give no evidence to back up the accusation except that we disagree with them.

What do you think this "accusation" means?  Palin would likely agree that she is anti-elitist and anti-intellectual.    I hope you know what "anti-intellectual" means.  Someone that is anti-intellectual is not admitting that they are stupid, nor are they necessarily so.  It has to do with the way they view the relevance of intelligence, rationalism, education, , etc., in how to resolve political disputes and how to run the country.  Indeed, you reflect anti-intellectualism when you made comments about how you reject "modern stupidity" in an earlier post.  Palin would likely say that people get caught up in arguments, facts and sophistry when the moral common man knows what is right and wrong from common sense and should be entitled to govern on the basis of this common sense. 

BTW, I don't ever believe I used the word conservatives.  I personally know a great many conservatives that find Palin, Beck and the tea party movement repugnant.  Conservatism had a rich intellectual tradition.  The anti-elitism and anti-intellectualism started with the evangelical wing of the Republican party, but it sees its most recent expression with the tea party movement. 

You may respond that I haven't shown you any youtube videos or anything where Palin expresses anti-intellectual or anti-elitist sentiment.  I haven't and I don't need to win this argument.  Just ignore it if you don't agree.

3. weholdthesetruths profile image61

Yes, by all means, explain how the TEA Party people are "anti-intellectual", when all the attacks on it are the very definition of "anti-intellectual".   

Intellectual criticism of the TEA Party would not  be false proclamations about what other people think.   It would  be what they think, analyzed in context.   That's the exact opposite of what every critic and opponsent of the TP movement does.   

Just so you know, I"m a TP type.   So, get your act together, ask me what I believe (it will be the first time you find out what TP people think) and then, without prejudice and without preconcieved notions, attempt to discredit it.   You won't be able to, and in fact, if you debate honestly, you'll become A TP type yourself.

1. Pcunix profile image92
                    Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You mean we can't discredit it in your mind.

Your rock soild arguments are only so to someone who thinks as you do.  The rest of us have different opinions.

Honestly, your post literally makes no sense.  There was a really incoherent hubber that had the same avatar picture as you that disappeared and was presumably banned some time ago.  I assume you are the same person.  Perhaps your post makes no sense because I am uneducated and stupid?  Do you think that's the reason?  I'm looking for help to figure this out.

What do you think I'm saying about the tea party and its anti-intellectualism exactly?  What do you think anti-intellectualism means?

3. Jeff Berndt profile image92

Franklin's writings are really ambiguous about whether he was a Deist or a more traditional Christian. I've read his autobiography and many of his other papers, and I can't figure the guy out. But the point is this: it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter what particular faith the founders had. What matters is the Constitution that they wrote for us. It is a secular document that created an officially secular republic in which the free exercise of all religions is protected.

It is a rather fundamental doctrine in the law that the plain and unambiguous text of the Constitution (or frankly any contract) governs how any disputes over its meaning should be resolved.  It is where the language is ambiguous that problems arise and one must look at extrinsic evidence to interpret the language.  With respect to the Constitutional language regarding freedom of religion, I rather agree that it is unambiguous.  But some of the comments on this forum should show that this is open to debate.

What, exactly, do you think people are disagreeing about?    I, too, find no ambiguity in the 1st Amendment, nor in the 2nd.  Hint that some people disagree about the 1st...   In what way?

3. Jeff Berndt profile image92

No, led never mentioned the National motto, but he got a bunch of other stuff wrong. For one thing, the nationalist Chinese (who were not exactly champions of human rights themselves) fled to the island of Formosa, better known as Taiwan.

He also spread the falsehood that the Constitutional Convention opened with a prayer, when in fact it didn't. I do not say he lied, because he may actually believe what he said is true. But it's as false as false can be. No official prayer ever took place at the Constitutional Convention.

2. thisisoli profile image66

And since teh US dollars real strenght comes from an agreeement with these foreign countries that tehy will only sell oil in dollars, I think it is important that you remember that the only thing stopping your country from falling apart is their support/fear of invasion.

Actually the dollars strength only comes from people believing it has value.  Look up fiat currency.  You might also consider reading books published before 1950.  You might learn something.  Then again you might not.

As it turns out I read quite a lot of books, and the dollar strength comes from oil ever since its direct link with gold was removed after the attempted japanese gold buyout in the 1970's.  Since then a treaty was agreed between the majority of oil producing states and america, in that America would 'protect' these countries on the understanding that they would only sell oil in dollars, hence creating an ongoing demand for the American dollar, which is still required today to buy one of the worlds most valuable commodities.

You may read books, but you don't read the right ones.  Try reading, I don't know, books on economics instead of conspiracy theories.  There is something to be said for oil backing the dollar, but it has had less of an effect than you would think.  If we really did peg the dollar to oil, the economy would function as if it were on the gold standard, but with oil being the commodity not gold.  The economy does not, in fact, operate like a commodities backed one, but like a fiat backed economy.

You've almost got it, you just need to understand the function of money a bit more.  http://www.mises.org

I'd suggest Murray Rothbard's [u]History of Money and Banking in the United States[/i] for starters.

As much as it pains me to say it, Led is correct: the dollar has value only because people agree that it does. It is backed by "the full faith and credit of the US government" only. Most people agree that that means something. Some (like former president Bush) think it doesn't. (He once derisively referred to US savings bonds as nothing more than a bunch of IOUs.)

Belief in the dollar is important. But its strength is based on the productivity and vitality of our economy, the educational level of our population, our climate and natural resources and on our democratic system of government which is far from perfect but superior to those of other major countries.

3. Stump Parrish profile image61
        Stump Parrishposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Try reading a book that doesn't come from the wallbuilders organization or some other religious organization. A clue that you might be on the right track is when you find a site that isn't trying to sell you a copy of their proof. The references they use contain more than links to other authors on the company payroll.

I'm not sure who you are replying to, but have you ever read any history that wasn't put out by Howard Zinn?  The modern left in the last hundred years or so are the only people who have seriously tried to claim that the founders were all atheists or deists.  Have you ever read an old history book from before modern historical revisionism?

I haven't read much by Wallbuilders, but if you have evidence that they are wrong - prove them wrong.  Ignoring them because they are religious is abject close-mindedness.

You have a MS in geology so I would like to hear your take on how old the earth is!  From a religious as well as scientific viewpoint!

Thanks, I'll try to do so at some point.  This thread isn't really the place for it, though.

Great!  I am very interested as to your take on the age of geologic formations, as well as, your views on evolution!

4. Jeff Berndt profile image92

"Why else would they have opened the Convention with a prayer? "

That would be a powerful argument in favor of a Christian Nation, except that the founders never opened the Constitutional Convention with a prayer. It was suggested, discussed, and tabled. And the mythical "opening prayer" never. Happened.

"prayers were not offered during the Constitutional Convention," This is from the University of Missouri, Kansas City Law School.

At one acrimonious juncture, Franklin moved for starting off each day with a prayer. Roger Sherman seconded. There was a bunch of discussion, and "After several unsuccessful attempts for silently postponing the matter by adjourng. the adjournment was at length carried, without any vote on the motion."

No prayer took place, according to the notes of Franklin, Madison, or any other delegate to the Constitutional Convention.

Don't make stuff up to bolster your case for putting God into the US government. I imagine God would have a problem with the false witness.

http://www.framery.com/PrayerAtValleyForge.jpg

I believe they did so under this historically accurate painting.

2. 60
          C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well supported, however you are connecting the dot's all to easily. There were several letters having differing accounts of Franklins speach that day. Hamilton was the loudest in his disagreement. Washington was in favor. Most letters agree on that.  The orthodox nature of religous belief during this time in history would have required an official member of the clergy. During the discussion it was even mentioned. It was decided that they didn't budget for a chaplain. Also that they could afford one. The idea that the motion for or against prayer defined the founding fathers religous beliefs is a falacy.
          Perhaps there were no "official" prayers during the Convention, but denying that the delegates wanted God's direction is simply ignoring the context of history.
          Finally, your not telling the whole story. After the Convention, and nine days after the first Constitutional Congress convened with a quorum they implemented Franklin's recommendation. This is a practice that continues still today.

http://www.senate.gov/reference/office/chaplain.htm

"Well supported, however you are connecting the dot's all to easily."
            When you know the history (not the zealot version, but the real version) it's fairly easy to connect the dots.

"The idea that the motion for or against prayer defined the founding fathers religous beliefs is a falacy."
            I never claimed that the failed motion for an official prayer defined anyone's religious beliefs*. I debunked the falsehood that the Constitutional Convention opened with (or even hosted at any time) an official prayer. The only reason I pointed out that the Constitutional Convention did not open with a prayer is that someone was trying to claim that it did, and insidiously using that falsehood as support for state-sanctioned religion.

*The religious beliefs of the founders is completely irrelevant. What is relevant is the secular nature of the Constitution, which derives its authority from The People, not from some supernatural source.

"Finally, your not telling the whole story. After the Convention, and nine days after the first Constitutional Congress convened with a quorum they implemented Franklin's recommendation. This is a practice that continues still today."
            Actually, I am telling the whole, true story. Someone claimed that the Constitutional Convention opened with a prayer. I showed that this was false. End of story.

No claims were ever made about the first US congress under the Constitution or any subsequent one. I do not dispute that the US congress traditionally opens with a prayer.

1. 60

Ok, sure. No attempt was made to paint the founding fathers as simple "diest". They weren't, any reasonable person, diest or athiest can see that. The separation of church and state is one of the most misunderstood and abused phrases regarding the founding of our Nation. The separation of church and state was simply ment to keep Church politics separate from the State politics. It was NEVER meant to separate the "Diest" as you like to put it, from his/her God. Does the word CHRISTIAN cause you physical pain?

I see your confused by Franklin. Is it his faith mixed with pot smoking? The orgies in France? You see Christ himself never required that perfection was a prereq for Christianity. Thats something that a few theist and athiest have required. Your obvious anger or distaste for Christianity can't change history sir. I don't care how many proffessors you get to paraphrase, abridge or re-write history.

1. Pcunix profile image92
                Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The PRACTICE has caused many physical pain, mental anguish and even death.

1. 60

There were and are some ruthless individuals who are supposedly Christians. Can't argue with you on that one. My question is why do other religions get a pass, "its not the religion its the person"

"Ok, sure. No attempt was made to paint the founding fathers as simple "diest". "

Not by me. And it honestly doesn't matter if the founders were Theists, Atheists, Deists, Catholics, Reformed Buddhists, or Orthodox Jews. The founders' personal faith doesn't matter. Heck, for the purposes of this discussion I'll stipulate that they were all faithful members of any sect you care to name. It. Doesn't. Matter. What matters is the secular nature of the Constitution, and the secular republic that it created.

"The separation of church and state was simply ment to keep Church politics separate from the State politics." And to keep the state from being an instrument of religious persecution. Remember that. That's the most important thing to take away from the establishment clause.

"Does the word CHRISTIAN cause you physical pain?" Speaking as a Christian, I'd have to say no. smile I'll even prove it. Watch this:
                CHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANC
                HRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCH
                RISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRI
                STIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRIST
                IANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANALLWORKANDNOPLAYMAKEJAC
                KADULLBOYCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIANCHRISTIAN

"I see your confused by Franklin." No, he doesn't confuse me, I just find it hard to guess, based on his writings, what faith he actually followed. But what faith Franklin (or any of his fellow founders) followed is completely irrelevant. That's the whole stinking point!

"You see Christ himself never required that perfection was a prereq for Christianity." I know that. That's the whole reason Christ was sent: people aren't perfect.

"Thats something that a few theist and athiest have required." Um...What?

"Your obvious anger or distaste for Christianity can't change history sir."
                lol Okay, sure. Good thing I'm not trying to change history (like some zealots would do) but rather teach what actually happened.

"I don't care how many proffessors you get to paraphrase, abridge or re-write history."
                Nobody's re-writing history but the zealots on both sides of the issue. The religious right is trying to pretend that the US was founded as a Christian nation (even making up stuff--that is, lying--like the mythical opening prayer at the Constitutional Convention to support their arguments). The radical atheists are trying to paint the founders as fellow atheists in order to suppress public displays of faith. The problem with both sides of that argument is that they're both built on foundations of sand: the arguments rest on premises that just. Aren't. True.

I'm not angry about anything except perhaps that people are spreading untruths in order to get their idea of God pushed on the rest of America. I'd bet that God would be disappointed in that kind of behavior. But maybe you worship a different god? One who tells his followers that the ends justify the means? Just a guess.

1. 60

My point is that sincere religous belief isn't simply a rule book that a person carries around with them. It becomes a part of their very being.

The Taliban sincerely believe in stoning women who commit adultery. The Israeli Shas rabbi sincerely wished that a plague kill all Palestinians. Evangelicals and fervent Catholics sincerely believe early term abortions are murder, that homosexuality is a criminal choice, and masturbation is a sin.

"sincere religous belief isn't simply a rule book that a person carries around with them. It becomes a part of their very being."

And given that point, and given that the founders chose to give us a Constitution that does not make Christianity our de-facto state religion (or even mention it), tells us that their religious belief guided them to found an officially secular republic.

I love it when the Rah Rah Religion crowd try to argue about how religious the founders were. I just plain love it. Because while their personal religious beliefs are pretty irrelevant, suppose they were all religious, suppose they were all really zealous, and even suppose they were all members of your particular church.

In spite of all this religious zeal, they still didn't even mention* Christ in the Constitution! Not to ask His guidance and protection, not to acknowledge His authority, not even to claim that He's on their side (as so many modern zealots do).

Given the religious faith of the founders, and given the total lack of Jesus in the Constitution, one of two conclusions presents itself:
                    One, the founders wanted to make Christianity the state religion of the US, but totally bungled it by forgetting to mention the fact in the most important document they ever wrote, or,
                    Two, they deliberately chose to create an officially secular government.

So which is it? Were the founders a bunch of zealous bunglers or a bunch of people of principle who in spite of whatever religious fervor they may have had, chose to protect people of other faiths by doing their best to ensure that no faith would be able to use the government hammer to pound another?

Actually, I said that Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck, given their anti-elite and anti-intellectual philosophies, would have literally hated the founding fathers.

I expect you're probably right, Sylvie.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image61

Your argument presumes both know nothing about them.   In your haste to make rhetorical blather, I think you've made serious error.   

It seems to me that you're engaging in ad hominem, not even for the sake of personal debate, but just for the sake of political convenience.   Allowing yourself to dismiss whole classes or large groups of people, their opinions, and even their beliefs and lives,  for politically expedient purposes. 

I find it amazing that you can't defend your attack on Palin with any kind of actual argument... You just throw the lable and hope it sticks.

21. mikelong profile image83

Yes....I have...which is why I make these claims...

I have also written an article in response to some of his recent recklessness and stupidity....

Like what, exactly?  Noting I've seen now or in the past has shown that he has a penchant for violence.  In fact, for a time, he would close his show like this:  "Use truth as your anvil, nonviolence as your hammer and anything that does not stand the test when it is brought to the anvil of truth and hammered with nonviolence, reject it. "

Not exactly the world of someone who holds a violent worldivew like oh say Bobby Seales or Bill Ayers.  Those guys actually did participate in violent acts, don't you know.

Stop! Don't you know truth and logic aren't recognized by the left?

Hey I can always hope.  People from the left grow a brain and leave that childish ideology far behind, from time to time.  You never know until you try.

22. mikelong profile image83

Read the hub I wrote recently about Mr. Beck....and his perpetuation of the "secret Islamic agenda" in our nation....which he also points in the direction of the government...

While he may not outright call Obama a Muslim....Beck works through innuendo...

This man is dangerous...

Having family members who watch his show and support him, I have seen the type of rhetoric he inspires....

Beck likes to close the minds of his listeners.....  He will use the arguments of people like me....(rational and factual information) and then make his viewers believe that people like me, and the info we hold and pass, are outright liars...or worse, part of his loony conspiracies....

To read your post, your comments presuppose there is some reason to believe it would be horrifying if he was Muslim.   

So, just to clarify, what is it you're defending him from?   

Frankly, I have no idea of Obama's faith.   Or lack of it.  Such things are not for us humans to judge.   

The issue at stake, though, is not about Obama's faith.   It matters little to the secular issues of governance if Obama secretly looks heavenward when faced with a dilemma and under his breath whispers "God" or "Allah".   What matters is whether Obama buys into or accepts the rest of Islam - much of which governs the very secular aspects of our society, things from civil rights to business to economics to banking to lending to whom to blame for things going wrong.   Islam is not a religion, as westerners see it.   It is an all encompassing ideology, one that is strictly authoritarian and self referential - giving no deference to the people who live under its rule.   It is, to those who accept it, not just a religion, but an entire philosphy and method of thinking.   One governed by a set of rules and dogmatic adherence to a specific authority and comes with its own version of history, logic, and morality.   

That being true, it would be both relevant and even important to know if Obama were an adherent to that aspect of Islam, because it DOES affect governance and thereby is relevant to presidency.

"Frankly, I have no idea of Obama's faith.   Or lack of it.  Such things are not for us humans to judge." 

So are you saying those who accuse Obama of being a Muslim are less than human?  And are you going to tell them they are wrong to do so?

"It is an all encompassing ideology, one that is strictly authoritarian and self referential - giving no deference to the people who live under its rule.   It is, to those who accept it, not just a religion, but an entire philosphy and method of thinking.   One governed by a set of rules and dogmatic adherence to a specific authority and comes with its own version of history, logic, and morality."

Huh. That's a pretty apt description of some versions of Christianity, too. Especially the 'comes with its own version of history' part, as we're discovering more and more through discussions on the forums here.

"That being true," You mean, you accept it as true, and expect everyone else to also accept it as true without scrutiny?

23. thisisoli profile image66
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

I never said the dollar was pegged to oil, and while the dollar is supported on the strength of it's own economy somewhat, it seems foolish to discount not only one of the most valuable commodities, but also one of the most heavily taxed commodities.

Sigh.  You should try reading up on money and the theory of money.  I think there's a sharp mind in there, you just have to stretch it a bit.  I'll admit that it's hard, even for me, sometimes to envision a commodities backed currency; but it can be done.  You do realize that since we have a paper money backed currency, that the money you make will always lose its value, right?

Yep, but to show how oil is in some way a large factor concerning the value of the dollar, it might interest you to trace the dollar value in relation to episodes in recent history when oil has been restricted for one reason or another.

I find it hard to imagine a currency which does not lose it's value over time, since in most cases the content of a coin is adjusted in line with inflation. See for instance when buyers where searching for pre 1990's copper English coins for their metallic content value when compared to more recent British coinage.

The value of the dollar is of course affected by the amount of currency in circulation, however this is in someways reduced by foreign holdings and taxation.

This is however only my opinion, I have not been trained in economic to any degree other than my own research, which for the most part I did for shares and currency trading.  I did this fairly succesfully with limited capital until I had to cash it all in to fund my emigration.

I need to yeild in this conversation, since right now I am suffering from the basic economic principal that time is money, especially when you are self employed!

That's where most of your confusion comes from, I think.  While I have not studied the current monetary "basket of currencies" system, I'd be interested in hearing more about it.  I've known you can make money at it, at least for a time.  I'd also be interested in hearing about your experiences with the system as well.  It'll provide a valuable counterpoint to what I know of stable monetary systems. 

The current confusion over oil being used as a backing for the dollar is part truth and part smoke and mirrors.  It's an attempt to create a fiat currency without the drawbacks of a fiat currency, namely the destruction of the currency's value. 

Another reason you might find it hard to understand monetary policy is that monetary policy is intimately tied to banking.  That why Rothbard's book talks about currency and banking.  Give it a read, I'd be interested in hearing you thoughts on it.

24. mikelong profile image83

Soli, I agree with you...we trade our military and diplomatic resources for dollar support....

We become mercenaries....

It isn't for dollar support, but rather to ensure an uninterrupted flow of oil.

25. lovemychris profile image81

Restoring Honor: (among thieves)

"BECK: (imitating Malia) Daddy? Daddy? Daddy, did you plug the hole yet? Daddy?

PAT GRAY (co-host): (imitating Obama) No I didn't, honey.

BECK: (imitating Malia) Daddy, I know you're better than [unintelligible]

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Mm-hmm, big country.

BECK: (imitating Malia) And I was wondering if you've plugged that hole yet.

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Honey, not yet.

BECK: (imitating Malia) Why not, daddy? But daddy--

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Not time yet, honey. Hasn't done enough damage.

BECK: (imitating Malia) Daddy?

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Not enough damage yet, honey.

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Yeah?

BECK: (imitating Malia) Why do you hate black people so much?

GRAY: (imitating Obama) I'm part white, honey.

BECK: (imitating Malia) What?

GRAY: (imitating Obama) What?

BECK: (imitating Malia) What'd you say?

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Excuse me?

BECK: (laughing) This is such a ridiculous -- this is such a ridiculous thing that his daughter-- (imitating Malia) Daddy?

GRAY: It's so stupid.

BECK: How old is his daughter? Like, thirteen?

GRAY: Well, one of them's, I think, thirteen, one's eleven, or something.

BECK: "Did you plug the hole yet, daddy?" Is that's their -- that's the level of their education, that they're coming to -- they're coming to daddy and saying 'Daddy, did you plug the hole yet?' " Plug the hole!

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Yes, I was doing some deep-sea diving yesterday, and--

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Yeah, mm-hmm, mm-hmm, I was doing--

BECK: (imitating Malia) Why--

GRAY: (imitating Obama) Yeah, honey, I'm--

BECK (imitating Malia) Why, why, why, why, do you still let the polar bears die? Daddy, why do you still let Sarah Palin destroy the environment? Why are -- Daddy, why don't you just put her in some sort of a camp?"

26. lovemychris profile image81

"Why isn't this man being sued for slander or libel? He's accusing people of teaching things like "Jews are destroying the world" to kids for instance. It's not like its even hard to find the evidence of Beck saying that, because he's already recorded himself and broadcast what he's said!!! Seriously, when is somebody going to nut up and slap hobo Glen with a lawsuit to make him actually obey the laws on things like slander, libel, hate speech, etc."

"Thank you, I agree completely. I would quickly join a class action lawsuit to sue this man for slander, terrorism, emotional distress, etc. This man makes me feel that he is inciting war and encouraging domestic terriorism through the brainwashing of his listeners on his radio and television show."

"There are people who teach their children these things,not the one Glen Beck accuses.The ones who do,have learned to operate under the cover of deception.Much of the material Glen Beck uses comes from "storm front".The deception is to accuse others while getting their material out.This is why the things Glen Beck says are soothing to the ears of people with nazi posters on their walls.In looking at this and the rest of fox news I can only ask one question.Is Rodger Ailes a lifetime high ranking member?"

27. lovemychris profile image81

I have heard he is a Knight of Malta.....maybe someone who "reads all the right things"
    knows about them?

28. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Apparently glennbeck is really upset with ABC news for including quotes of his in their reporting.  Once again he refers to people who report accurately on his hate speech as Nazis.

Nazi bastards!

You think that may be because what ABC reported isn't what Beck actually said?  Context, man, context (and accurate recording).  I could take posts you have made and make you sound like a racist jerk by twisting your words if I wanted to do so.  You wouldn't like it, so why is it acceptable for ABC to do so to Glenn Beck?

29. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 6 years ago

I really enjoy watching Glenn Beck......in John Stewart's mirror.

1. earnestshub profile image89
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The only way to watch Beck! lol

30. lovemychris profile image81

What a GOOB!

He's trying to come off as some nice guy now?.........Too Late Dweeb! We already saw you for what you are.

Beckles the Flim-Flam Man.

And mean as ALL GET OUT too. N-A-S-T-Y.

31. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago

I attended the gathering online on facebook...the number under the screen read approximately 130000 online at that time

you can see picture at this link

http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articl … 198/44821/

it wasn't a political rally. Instead, it was billed as, and was a celebration of the military, patriotism and American heritage.

I found it to be a very uplifting event and not at all what some people on the left were claiming

32. lovemychris profile image81

Funny--I listened to a radio host, who I was expecting to be gushing about the rally, and she wasn't. She said, although the speakers were focused on a positive message, the crowd was not! THEY were all about Obama the muslim, not born here, get him out....etc.

And I also think they are going just according to game plan.
    Remember, Gingrich said "Say no to everything, then come November, we will provide the solutions."
    Well, nows a good time to start looking like people who want to provide solutions!
    After all, the damage has already been done....and then some.

Because, if you think about it:  if they REALLY believed the things they have propulgated about Obama.....why would they even "be positive"?  You mean they are going to forget what they've said: that he is a muslim socialist terrorist racist who wasn't born here and wants to destroy America?

Isn't that irresponsible?

(i posted this same thing on my local blog...let's see if the one guy says something....the one who i think is sab-oh here!!!!!).....Oh Sabby! Sabby!......you here? Or over there?

This is nonsense.    The crowd was NOT.   I don't get my information from radio hosts who want to propagandize.   I just get it first hand.   From people THERE.

33. lovemychris profile image81

Hmmm, he said the Jews killed his God....what do you think about that?

34. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago

chris...like any other short quote, there is greater context from which it came...

I have heard Beck say a lot of things, and others said he said a lot of different things, but I have lived long enough and read widely enough and studied and practiced religions and belief systems extensively enough to know that nothing can honestly be conjectured from a simple quote

35. lovemychris profile image81

Oh, I think it can. When he said, "This president has a deep-seated hatred of white people", that was enough for me.

When he was MAKING FUN.....MAKING FUN of Obama's 11 year old daughter, he said, "Daddy, why do you hate black people so?"

He is not a good guy....no matter how he acts his way around it.
    And his now-act about "niceness" and "forgiveness"...is all a ruse too, IMO.

I'm telling you, it fits into their game plan. Phase one: Destroy Obama's reputation. Do whatever you can to stymie him in office. No-Holds barred.

Phase two: Turn sweet, and act like you really want to help the country...even all the people you so rudely treated for your political gain.
    It's not new Jewel,,,they have pulled this before.

And Bachmann has said if they gain control they will go after the Democrats "with a vengeance".

Just like with Clinton's presidency....billions upon billions of dollars spent on revenge.

Oh---THEN cry "deficit"!!!

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

chris, you don't seem to be able to have objectivity...there are a lot more perspectives out there that prove that your view is clouded

all sides "sh** " on each other...I try to see those perspectives and center on what needs to be looked at...that opposition is never and answer to problems. just because sometimes people fall into the pit of negativity, as I was speaking about before, doesn't mean it's the right place to be...your attitude does not one any good and helps nothing

I listened to Sharpton speaking about the Beck rally on cspan and even he recognizes that some people just can't understand how other people think, and that people disagree because something in them doesn't want to make things better...

36. lovemychris profile image81

Let me put it like this:
    If Al Sharpton on his radio show had pretended to be Bush and his daugter, and had said "Daddy, why haven't you sent help to the Katrina Victims?"
    "There hasn't been enought damage yet honey. Not enough damage."

Or had Sharpton said "Bush has a deep-seated hatred of black people. He's a racist."----

what would your "objectivity" be?"

Remember when Jackson said "Hymie Town"?
    When Obama said "Retarded Olympics."---

Do you remember the reaction?????

YET.....Beck can say ANYTHING and get away with it, same as Rush.

You call that objective?

And no, I know an opportunistic phony charlatan when I see one. I will never trust a word he says.

1. lovemychris profile image81

You MUST oppose evil.

2. fetty profile image77
      fettyposted 6 years ago

Responding to Pretty Panther's writing . This is a poster and not a hate speech. I find it refreshing and based on the facts of two men that are being discussed in this forum. In order to debate others with opposing views one must be able to think on their own. Be able to separate the facts from opinions. I realize people get impassioned with their speech but get a grip folks. RonM. Pretty Panther, thisisoli , Chris and earnesthub are being as objective as they can be here. Chris is using extremely creative and thoughful similies and using comparisons that we could all learn from. Beck is a physical and emotional wreck and very simply tried to pull off a publicity stunt with no sensitivity for the date and place of this speech. And look we all fell to his level. I can't believe that Beck once again makes Al Sharpton look good. ( He was a wreck in the 80's and 90's - but has turned over a new leaf, I think...)

3. lovemychris profile image81

"Obamas hidden agenda is exposed"

What, exactly, is his hidden agenda?

4. earnestshub profile image89
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago

What I find worrying is that so many Americans listen to this ninth rate religious fanatic and home grown lunatic!

That is very scary for the rest of the world. We get mental pictures of Pailin talking to the UN in tongues and snake charmers in congress!

I now understand how Americans interviewed in the street believed the Eiffel Tower was in London or Sydney or even New York!

Ignorant intellectually lazy Americans ...... are they becoming the majority?

Well, your comment isn't too bad, I suppose, for a 10th rate knowledge of American history, politics, and Christianity. 

I now understand more than ever why Americans don't care about foreign opinions.

5. lovemychris profile image81

"The attacks on Beck are not particularly motivated by judgements of his character"

Oh yes they are.
      He said Obama--our very first black president-- is a racist who hates white people. He THEN takes the day of a revered black leader to pretend to be a fighter for equality!!
      He ridicules Obama and his daughter on his show.....and then says things like "daddy why do you hate black people"....

Glenn Beck is the racist. IMO. And he cynically uses a hallowed day for black people to promote the tea-party---------

Whose members have been known to carry signs, and say things of a racist nature!!!!

They were asked not to bring signs or guns.......why hide it? Don't you think we know it's still there?

Yeah, but your opinions aren't worth the bits it takes to store them, because nothing of your commentary reveals any thought or integrity.   

Beck's a racist, in your opinion, of course.    But, I assume you consider anyone who isn't exactly in agreement with yuou to be a racist, homophobe, classist, nazi, and probably about 30 or 40 other negatives not worth typing out.   Funny, I would bet you didn't get upset when Obama insulted a large swath of Americans with his rhetorical speeches in California.   Why?   

I'm quite sure you can't provide any evidence to back up your "racist" charge, other than your presumed motivations.   It's the "I know he's X because he wants x".   "how do you know he wants X" "because he's X".   Circular logic writ in large scale, you know. 

If all this handwringing is what's required to make you feel at ease with your prejudices against others, I understand.    It still makes you a dishonest creep, but I do understand it happens.

Chris gave several examples to back up her opinion that Beck is racist, yet you say she gave no evidence.  Then, you attribute beliefs to her that she never actually stated.  Then, you call her a creep, which probably qualifies as a personal attack, and you use the adjective "dishonest" to describe her, even though everything she said is the truth.

Again, you are projecting onto others attributes that you yourself are displaying.

"The Argument from Intimidation is a confession of intellectual impotence."  Even Ayn Rand said something rational once in awhile. smile

LOL, Chris gave NO examples of anything, other than to decontextualize some phrases and slap "racist" onto it.    I stand fully by my comments.  I've read lots of Christ's postings, and it's all the same mindless partisan drivel.   It's all juvenile "GOP Evil, Obama good" blather, without a single rational thought behind any of it.

At least you are responding to her ideas and not attacking her personally.  Where you come from, I am sure telling someone that there is not a single rational thought behind anything they say and that everything they say is mindless drivel and juvenile blather is high praise.  I am impressed by your ability to continue taking the high road.

Your sarcasm is misplaced.   Chris's postings are single minded partisanship.  I know what it looks like, I've been in online forums and online debates on my topics, since before the internet came around. 

Chris operates in the "repeat outlandsish nonsense endlessly, hoping some of it sticks" mode, and nothing else.   Anyone swayed by it is obviously not much of a thinker or very observant.

2. PrettyPanther profile image85

Then I ask you to provide the context that you say is missing in Chris' posts.  I'm not going to just take your word for it.

6. lovemychris profile image81

"Discussing Glenn Beck's history as a radio broadcaster and his possible lack of stature as compared to MLK is a form of hate speech."

NO! It is cluing you in to his real nature....you are believeing the act he is putting on.

His real personality is not a nice one....

We must not be fooled by people like him...there is way too much at stake.

And if you think MLK would have approved of Beck mocking Obama and his daughter ---saying Obama hates black people because he is half white.......

I say you don't know anything about MLK either.

You know nothing about Beck's "real personality".   you're just making stuff up as you go, imagining it and writing as if it were real.

No one can know anything about what is inside another person's head.  But we can judge people by what they say and do.  A number of people on this thread have posted direct quotations from Beck.  Those are his words and he says them before a massive audience.  Apologists have suggested that these statements are taken out of context.  That's easy to say about anything.  If you think we are being unfair, provide the context where it is missing.

"If you think we are being unfair, provide the context where it is missing."
            Indeed!

If Beck's quotes (or anybody's quotes) are being taken 'out of context,' it's not enough just to say, "Oh, that's being taken out of context" and call the other guy wrong. You need to provide the context so we can see that the quote is being taken out of context and is really innocuous.

It's like that advice to authors: show, don't tell. If you could show us that quotes are being taken out of context (by providing the context, for example), that would be really cool.

Nonsense.   it is YOU who must prove your assertions.  It is not for your audience to find the missing setting and context, in order to discover the truth.   If it is, you are a dishonest propagandist, with no regard for the truth. 

I understand your political POV leaves you without any defense, other than to attack the person of your opposition.   Modern liberalism, with it's statist and self referential elitism is not intellectually defensible in any way.   Thus, your ONLY means of defending it is to personally destroy any visible and possibly convincing opponent. 

Thus, the "Beck is a racist, has bad motives" blah, blah, blah.   If Beck's so wrong, it would be a simple matter of refuting him with logic and reason, but you apparently cannot.    The funny part of all of this, is that I pay scant attention to Beck, but your mode of operation is so clear and so desperate in nature, one has to wonder why YOU haven't recognized it yet.  I have no need of defending Beck, only defending truth.    That's my sole interest.   I'm quite certain that even the closest thing I have to a modern hero, Thomas Sowell, is not someone I agree with fully on everything.  I'm not threatened by disagreement even with him.   Nor by anyone.   Truth wins, period.  And that's all that needs to happen and that's all that matters.   

Oh, and there is no multiple versions of "truth", either.   It is what it is, period, unchanging and unaffected by "perspective".

Beck speaks the truth, straight from God. As I recall he said God wrote his speech at the shameful rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech in front of the Lincoln Memorial.

"it is YOU who must prove your assertions."

This is astonishing, coming from someone who has been participating in this discussion and also says "I have no need of defending Beck, only defending truth."

Several people have quoted Beck, and used those quotes to support their conclusions that the guy is a hatemongering racist. (I personally don't care if the guy is a racist or not, btw.)
              Wehold has said, those quotes are taken out of context.
              Sylvie challenged him to provide the proper context, so that we could see if the conclusions about Beck--based on Becks words, mind--are valid or not.

Wehold disavows his "out-of-context" argument by claiming that it's not his responsibility to give context when someone else takes a quote out of context. (All the while, remember, he claims to value logic and truth.)

Let me show you what logic looks like:

Given: A person who makes racist statements is a racist.
              Glenn Beck is a person.
              Glenn Beck makes racist statements.
              Therefore, we can conclude that Glenn Beck is a racist.

Or, more abstractly:
              If A and B are true, then C is true.
              A is true.
              B is true.
              Therefore, C is true.

If all of these premises are correct, the conclusion is valid.
              If one of these premises is incorrect, the conclusion is invalid.

Support for the truth of the premises has been provided, in the form of Glenn Beck quotes.

To make the premise invalid, all you have to do is either disprove the truth of the premises. Either show that a person who makes racist statements is not a racist (difficult...), or show that Glenn Beck is not in fact a "person" (for satirical purposes only, I'd entertain such an argument, but in a serious discussion it's absurd), or demonstrate that the quotes attributed to Beck were either a) not said by Beck but fabricated, or b) not actually racist in nature.

Rather than do that, Wehold simply said, in effect, "You're wrong," and declared victory.

L. O. L.

7. ahorseback profile image51
      ahorsebackposted 6 years ago

Glen Beck makes a lot of sense on some points , and on others he's out there. At least he has great intentions, his damatic role playing is stupid, however, why do you people always kill the messenger ? Take some of what he says and leave he rest! Simple. He's not a god nor is he trying to be one , he's a media pundit.

8. lovemychris profile image81

You see, that's where we disagree. I think his intentions are rotten to the core.
      I think he wants to promote hatred and division, and most of all, he wants the big money republicans back in power....cause that's who he serves.

His agenda is politial, cynical, and hate-filled. IMO.

I will always speak out agains him, and the rest of that PNAC crew over at Fox. Fascists come waving the flag and carrying a cross.....BEWARE, is all I will say.

I'd say the two of you have a lot in common then, lol...

Another thing--if you'd ever watched Beck's show, you'd see that he maligns Bush on a fairly frequent basis, too--he's an equal opportunity party basher, haha.

"Take some of what he says and leave he rest! Simple. He's not a god nor is he trying to be one , he's a media pundit.

I agree with ahorseback completely on this point.

He's a fifth rate shock jock and a consummate liar without a conscious or regard for any form of decency which is obvious to the rest of the world.

Admit it, Earnest--You just don't like him 'cause he talks about God too much, lol...

Sure, he's a shock jock at times--but so are many others who show up on TV on a regular basis...both sides have their regular "consumate liar"as you put it--it just depends on which side you're on as to who is the actual liar, haha.

I'm not on either side--I watch Beck's show, and make my own decisions about the issues. Some I totally agree with Beck, but others I don't. Same goes with Olbermann, and any others who love to hear themselves talk, lol.

You may not like the man, but some of the issues he discusses on his shows make a lot of sense, if you just listen to the topic. 

Forget about "Right"...forget about "Left"...just try to listen to common sense, on EITHER side--it's there, believe me.

You don't have to like the messenger to agree with the issues they discuss...

9. lovemychris profile image81

Could you give me an example of him maligning Bush?

Well, I don't have time right now to search, but if there are transcripts of some sort of his show online, I'm sure you can find them... smile

I should add that I have heard him say things about Bush and his party, but I can't remember the specific things he said offhand.

10. CkhoffmanK profile image60
      CkhoffmanKposted 6 years ago

I think anyone with even the most elementary grasp on logic and reality can plainly see that Glenn Beck is at the very least unstable. The man's a nutjob.

11. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure there is honor in hypocrisy. there is a seemingly huge disconnect between his rally and MLK. he says, we become what we gaze on. well, yeah, and he sure seems to stir up a lot of hate. will his show change now after his pep rally?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- … -reaction/

Doubtful. He's acheived a following with his "Rabid Right-winger" persona. He'll ride it till he ends up bailing out the     same boat as Limbaugh. Bail! Bail! Bail, damn you, bail!

2. Godwin Nwando profile image60

I think MLK did stir up hate as well, but it was justified.
        Glenn Beck is justified as well.

As one who witnessed many of these matters, Dr. King was the closest thing we ever had to a Ghandhi, whose principles he tried to emulate. I remember Farrakhan and Young as being the real troublemakers and hate mongers. Malcolm X being one of them too. Sometimes drastic measures     are needed to acheive fairness, even here in the US

I disagree that stirring up hatred is justified (your post does not say why).  If you think MLK was doing this, why not condemn MLK rather than giving Beck a pass?

MLK stirred up hate, alright.   Such that he was killed over it.   But stirring up hate doesn't mean you're wrong.   Merely that you make people confront things they'd rather not.   Or, you challenge notions that people don't want to change.   

The hate of Beck is nothing different than the hate of MLK, just people hating because of having their pet views challenged.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

I seriously doubt the Fox watchers will appreciate the humor in this, Ralph!  Finding out a touted Muslim owns a share of their favorite news outlet may cause them some confusion!  But confusion never seems to prevent them from making uninformed observations!  LOL!

2. Druid Dude profile image60

That was George 43. A true comedian. Like an encore?

I'm convinced  that  they aren't from earth at Fox, except O'REALLY as I like to call him. He reminds me of my old Math teacher, put him together                with Joe Walsh and it would be a match

Fox chases ratings, therfore, 75-80% of it is hype for ratings. Trust me.

Nope, I don't "trust you".   Not one iota.   You offer nothing which gives you the slightest credibility.

Fox and Beck are so bad that even Rupert has said he's ashamed.

Your kidding me! I did not know that.

I didn't even know Rupert did shame. Hide like a rhino smile

Still, it is a scream to watch! In Australia Beck is considered comedy central by all the people I know! lol

We have a fairly calm bunch of god-botherers down here who get laughed at when needed, but Beck is the funniest act on TV..

13. mikelong profile image83

I don't see how anyone can argue that Beck is more personally accomplished than Martin Luther King Jr....

Anyone who believes this is seriously misguided....

If this is the case for "we hold these truths" here, then I am very wary and suspicious of whatever "truth" this person holds...

As for King "stirring up hate"....please cite a single example of this...

I wonder how many who post so profusely here in ways that I have responded to, if in person..live....would behave in the same way....

It is easy to throw out claims on the anonymous internet....but when eyes are locked on...that is another story...

PALEASE!!! Comparing Beck To a martyr is screwed on a couple of levels. The only time Beck has shed his own blood in the pursuit of a worthy cause, was when he cut himself shaving. MLK gave his life to further EVERYONE's civil rights. Glen Beck would never give his life like that. BE REAL! And I'm not even black

MLK didn't give his life.   It was taken.   There's a huge difference.    Beck's quite successful, in having financial success, has had a successful career, has been successful in overcoming alcoholism and dependency. 

Seems to me you're not only prejudiced... but blindly so.   

If tomorrow, someone shot Beck, you'd not call him a martyr, you'd say "good riddance", which was what the people who wanted MLK dead said.

What do you refer to as "personally accomplished"?   Beck's probably quite wealthy, has had a successful career, has won the battle with alcoholism and many other things.   

That, by ANY decent measure of a person, is "personally accomplished".   King wasn't a scholar, his writing and speeches were not always his own words, his personal life was a train wreck.    And he was killed for his stirring up controversy.   

Yet, we admire him, for his courage to stand and point to something bigger than what most had yet to accomplish, higher than most even aspired to, and said "THERE IS WHAT THE FUTURE SHOULD BE".   In other words, he inspired people.    Many hated him for it. 

Beck apparently inspires people to do good.    I have yet to find anyone who has been able to tell me where he tried to get people to go do bad things.    And, he stirs up hate among those who oppose his ideology or his dream or whatever it is he's promoting.   Seems to me that regard him as a devil and MLK as a saint is 100% deliberate hypocrisy.

" King wasn't a scholar,"
          Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. got his PhD from Boston University. I don't have a PhD. Do you?

"his writing and speeches were not always his own words"
          Presidents use speechwriters, too. But perhaps you can give some examples of King's writings and speeches that were not his own words?

"his personal life was a train wreck."
          No argument there. Lots of leaders have difficulties with one-on-one relationships.

"And he was killed for his stirring up controversy."
          That's one way to look at it. Another way might be that he was killed because he challenged the status quo.

"Beck apparently inspires people to do good."
          For example?

"And, he stirs up hate among those who oppose his ideology or his dream or whatever it is he's promoting."
          Um, n... Well, actually, yes, lots of his opponents say hateful things about him, that's true. I have to give you that.

"Seems to me that regard him as a devil and MLK as a saint is 100% deliberate hypocrisy."
          The difference is in the ideas the two different men promote.

They're equally controversial, true. But King was agitating for justice for an oppressed minority (which, by the way, still is an oppressed [though less so] minority). Beck is agitating for...I'm not even sure what he's in favor of. All I can get from his speeches is what he's opposed to, which seems to be anything that might challenge the status quo.

14. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 6 years ago

So...how did the Beck rally turn out? Anyone know?

Never mind. I found a report from ABC. "Hundreds of thousands of attendees." Scary when you consider that most of the crowd showed up to hear/see Palin. I'm not saying that the message was bad at the rally, but how can so many people be enamored of Palin?

I liked Palin when I first "met" her. After learning more about her, however, I found her frightening. If this is the best that the republican party has to offer, I might just stay home in 2012. That would be the first time I don't vote in a major election since I turned 18. Of course, if Hil somehow manages to run, I would support her over Palin!

Yeah, if sarcasm and lame one-liners is your bag. Palin's so lame, someone oughtta search for her skeleton.

LOL!!!

Beck restoring our honor? Why do I hear a distant, tiny Nixon voice, saying "Peace with Honor" Is that the honor you talkin' bout Willis?

2. Doug Hughes profile image59

Habee - NBC (I think) paid a professional company to take pics from the air and then estimate attendance. They put it at 87,000 (+/- 10%).  In any case, it's likely (bordering on certain) that the attendenc was under the goal of 100,000 to 200,000. The facts don't deter some news outlets (gues who) from claiming over a half-million. The last time the teabaggers did a DC shindig, they posted pictures of the huge crowd - butt he picture turned out to be fraudulent - of some other gathering from at least a year before.

Ninety-thousand nuts off their medication gathered in one place is still too many - but that's what it was.

CBS did that. Everyone else quoted (inflated?) guesses from Beck supporters.

working