jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Portland Maine considers extending voting rights to non-citizens

1. profile image60
    C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago
    1. psycheskinner profile image80
      psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Scotland also allows all residents with a perminant address to vote.  If they tax your income and tax your spendign and tax your savings--why not let you vote?

1. profile image60
        C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well the US 8 times as many immigrants than the entire UK. Then we have somewhere between 11 and 18 million illegals that our government is considering granting amnesty. One can see how this could significantly change our culture. Something our current immigration policy prohibits. While your comment doesn't sound unreasonable and may work find in Scottland I don't see it working here.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
          Druid Dudeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My  thought is this. Too much fresh  air destroys braincells.

1. profile image60

so the folks in LA would never come up with this idea then?

2. ledefensetech profile image78
    ledefensetechposted 6 years ago

That's stupid.  It brings to mind the wholesale minting of Roman Citizens towards the end of the Empire.  Citizenship only holds value if you work towards it.

1. profile image60

I agree. Just recently in Puttman County TN a legal resident was identified by DHS as being registered to vote. He voted in the 2004 National election. No charges(statute of limitations expired). The legal resident said he didn't know he couldn't vote with out being a citizen even though he signed an afidavit stating he was a US citizen when he registered to vote. So with this being the case. It would appear that Maine's resolution would only muddy the waters further.

1. ledefensetech profile image78
        ledefensetechposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The right to vote means less and less today.  The reason you're seen this fraudulent franchise movement is so that the power of your vote is diluted.  Because Congress can tax us whatever they wish, they can also dispense tax money in return for votes.  It amazes me how many people buy into the "we're free because we vote" nonsense.

3. habee profile image90
    habeeposted 6 years ago

They can vote only on local issues, right?

1. profile image60

That's what they are considering.....one might say it's a foot in the door so to speak.

2. profile image60

I kind of wonder if the Justice department will step in? I mean after all they did when a small town in South Carolina decided they wanted to remove political affiliation from the ballot.

working