jump to last post 1-17 of 17 discussions (32 posts)

What do you think about classes?

1. elayne001 profile image46
    elayne001posted 6 years ago

I was born in farm country (raising sheep, chickens and crops) and raised in lower middle class (father was a mechanic and then an uncertified accountant). Now that I am married, we are middle class citizens - upper middle class (my husband is professor in a university. I guess education made the big difference. What class do you fit in, and do you like being classified like this?

1.  Poor - Homeless
    2.  Working Poor
    3.  Lower Middle Class
    4.  Middle Class
    5.  Upper Middle Class
    6.  Rich

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would have to be a 5 I guess though I too was country born and raised.  Don't care much for classes.  Never cared for them when I was in school and don't now.  Good question.

2. mythbuster profile image86
      mythbusterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

All social constructions which need to be re-evaluated and seen for what they are - imbalances of power.

3. Onusonus profile image86
      Onusonusposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I used to go to class but then I ditched.

4. MayG profile image86
      MayGposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I would prefer not to think about it!  I don't think you should be defined by the amount of income you have, and I feel rankled even seeing these classes listed out like that.    Education is everything, although sadly often getting a good education is more difficult if you come from a low-income family to begin with.  I take my hat off to those parents from low-income families who strive to get their kids a good education.  I do think though that even though my circumstances have changed a lot since I was a kid, I still identify more with people who are in similar circumstances to the way I grew up, rather than those who are in the same situation as me now.  Is that weird?

2. timorous profile image90
    timorousposted 6 years ago

Classes are just an excuse to keep people in their place.  There's no reason in the world (well maybe in certain countries still) that anyone can't rise above their current situation, if they really want to.  Just learn as much as you can, and put the effort in and be persistent, and you can make your life whatever you want it to be.  Your path is not pre-determined.  Go for it!

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

At the risk of sounding rather religious......Amen!

3. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I used to be a 5, am probably now a 4 and am heading for a 3 as I slide into graceful retirement.

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

man can I relate to this statement Pcunix

4. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 6 years ago

In the third where i live in classes are made on money and wealth. Considering my fathers income we are lower middle class. [total family income 500 dollar per month].But if its about status we are upper middle class as my father is an Assistant General Manager of a Government Bank, I am an University student, journalist and writer[in my language], my mother is a x officer of CARE and my sister is also an university income.

5. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

Personally, I hate the whole class thing.  I grew up on a family farm, never lacking anything.  Yet I was told continually, by my grandmother, that we were inferior to the business people of the town.  I hated her inferior complex, and the superiority complex of my best friend's mother.  They were not any better off than we were.  They may have fallen into a higher income bracket, but doesn't that just mean more taxes?

Now to answer the question:  I am a proud member of the working class.  I have been a small business owner before and probably will again, in the future.  I believe careful money management and a lack of wants makes for a happy life.

1. timorous profile image90
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hello Ivorwen;  I totally agree with all of what you said. smile

6. calpol25 profile image76
    calpol25posted 6 years ago

The class system is the worst thing ever, although times have moved on from the victorian era when it really was unfair, it still goes on.
    To be honest with you I would fall in to 3 and am proud to be working class, my whole family were and still are.

7. Cagsil profile image61
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I by myself would be in 2 and my mother would be in 3. However, as a writer for HubPages and continuing to increase my earnings...I'm moving up. wink

8. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 6 years ago

If the Queen of England were forced into a council house in the East Midlands of England (Sue Townsend 'The Queen and I') and had only a meagre old age pension to live on, she would still be upper class.
    If a working class person in the UK makes so much money, they might be richer than the Queen (I don't think I mean J.K. Rowling), that person would not be Upper Class but Nouveau Riche. So, can class be measured by money?
    In the US, it can; or so I gather.
    Whichever way, I hate it.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image66
    prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago

Income wise, professionally wise and social status of family, I think I belong to middle class here in the US. This varies, when I was still in the Philippines I belong to the upper class because I was a professor, but here in the US, I am in the middle class, income here is very important. (here income is a big determinants of social class)

10. waynet profile image46
    waynetposted 6 years ago

I never liked school.... big_smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
      prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi waynet, why?

1. waynet profile image46
        waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

12-15 subjects...all I was interested in was art and english, the rest was a complete waste of my time!!!

School just held me back, college was much better, more focused!

....I was joking slightly by the way lol...as it wasn't really school classes that this thread was about.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image66
          prettydarkhorseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

smile, its ok, I know it was a joke!

1. waynet profile image46
            waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

big_smile

2. Ivorwen profile image83
      Ivorwenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol

3. timorous profile image90
      timorousposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Haha! I was wondering when someone would get around to the school issue.  I hated school too, waynet.  I learned way more outside of school, you know...learn by doing, it's way more enlightening and fun that way.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

11. mythbuster profile image86
    mythbusterposted 6 years ago

According to your little chart, my family is primarily in 4, and 5 but I have been primarily in 1, 2.

12. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 6 years ago

Like politics I don't discuss classes.  I choose to get to know someone based on who they are. 

Diversity is the name of the game in the times we live in, the more diverse your interpersonal skills are the better you will do in life.

Interesting question, Peace smile

1. Ipeoney profile image84
      Ipeoneyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So if lack of money is low class, Then I belong to low class Lol! All I understand is we are all human beings and it really doesn't matter for me what class I belong to, the important thing is we learn how to respect each human being and treat everyone the same.

1. Ipeoney profile image84
        Ipeoneyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Let's make Tuba -Coconut wine and cheers!

13. 0
    china manposted 6 years ago

We can hate class as much as we like - it is just quantifying categories of society or how society is divided.  You can find other categories with different values and call it what you like.

Without going to look it up so this is a rough idea - Class is to do with your place in the strata of society, Marx divided it into rich - poor - middle class first, then he looked at issues within those categories such as 'status' in society.  As Camlo says, it is not just about the money - but this is a temporary state of affairs because - if the Queen of England did end up with no money in a council house in Blackburn her family would be working class within a couple of generations.  This just proves that Marx was right about class being related to privelage.  Class is only an issue for you if you aspire to it big_smile

14. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Class is an issue if you are arrested for a crime you did not commit. Lower class, or lower middle class, you will be financially ruined in the attempt to prove your innocence. You won't get out on bail if you don't have any money. But if you can afford a good lawyer and can show that you have property and connections, you'll fare much better.

15. liljen23 profile image80
    liljen23posted 6 years ago

I feel class is just a state of mind and that it all relies on the mentality of that person. I feel I fall in the Rich category because I have a brilliant mind but based on my income right now I will have to say I fall in the number 2-3 category.

16. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

I am definitely a #6 in all that counts.  Family, love, freedom, happiness.  My beautiful wife, wonderful grandchildren and children, my loving siblings and mother keep me there pretty firmly.

In earnings my 6 month layoff left me as a monetary #2, but that is temporary and a minor matter when compared to the rest.

17. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago

I think class 6 should have their taxes increased and 2 and 3's decreased.
    Also class 6 should help out 1 and 2 big_smile

working