jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is Government Slavery?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image84
    Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago

I came across an interesting article today. It posits the arguments AGAINST abolishing slavery (the arguments that came about 150 years ago) next to the arguments for AGAINST abolishing government.

Just wanted some comments.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You use the word "gov't" too loosely. Of course govt can be slavery.
      Depends soley upon the gov't. Gov'ts can be created by force of by the will of the people.
      Man needs to be governed.
      He is much to impetuous, curious, imaginative to be uncontrolled... controlled he must be.
      He is a social predator. One which is still driven by a need to kill.
      If he is to develop into an amenable, civil, social creature he must be given time for natural selection to sublimate his predatory propensity.
      Unfortunately, there is not enuf time left for contemoorary man to experience that metamorphosis.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image59
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

What a load of carp.  Column B is a list of strawman arguments, a false representation of the legitimate reasons for forming governments.  Most primitive societies have very little or absolutely no government; if you want to live in a dung / vine hut and wear a loin cloth you are welcome to, but it will never happen here.

Slaves did not elect their masters.

Governments are not "natural" they are the products of societal evolution.

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Awwww you said carp!
      The game warden's comin' after you Ron! wink

I agree with you for once.

To the original poster:
      The article's author is off on a tangent that's off-kilter.
      Slavery is wrong and unnecessary,
      while government is right and necessary.
      (Although government, taken too far and given too much power, becomes a form of slavery.  Case in point, America's leadership today is starting to head down that bad road, and needs immediate reform by the people.)

2. 0
      Home Girlposted 6 years ago in reply to this

To cancel slavery, society had to grow up to the understanding of  the horrible wrongness of it and the advantages of not having it. With government, well, not in 2010, may be in 3010 or smth.? I don't know. I can imagine people becoming so civilized, that they just follow written and unspoken rules, that are ingrained into their brain and psyche, without necessity of constantly reinforcing it. But we are not there yet. Far from it. It's a distant future, very distant...

3. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 6 years ago

This biblical god thing ok's the ownership and beating of slaves.