jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (14 posts)

The Administration threatens free speech.

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60
    weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/obamacar … ee-speech/

It seems that the administration is now threatening economic retaliation against those who don't parrot the administration on Obamacare.   

Not a single one of you who believes in the 2nd Amendment should any longer believe in Obama.  He's had many other threatening moves made in the past, but this time, it's broadly clear that disagreeing publicly, means the government can harm you.

1. Reality Bytes profile image94
      Reality Bytesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think you mean the First Amendment?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL, true, first amendment smile    That's hilarious!   

I wonder, should I invest in a "meant to say" checker?    HAHAHAHAH

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Corporate America can take away your free speech in a heartbeat. They just sue you and get a restraining order.

However, I do not agree with you as to our government trying to take away our free speech.

Read the link.   It's in black and white, factual and clear.   

BTW, "corporate America" cannot take your freedom of speech away.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image83
      Evan G Rogersposted 6 years ago in reply to this

indeed, in your example, it would have been the government taking away your civil liberties...

... but nice try!

3. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

"BTW, "corporate America" cannot take your freedom of speech away."

I suppose if you happen to have lots and lots and lots of money to fight back with in court, you could indeed get the restraining order removed; in other words, you are right.

Bye

You pretend that just having lawyers and spending money to file something automatically grants them power over you.   Why? 

Where's all the cases of corporations winning cases to silence people's political views?   Or anything else?    They don't exist.   

I know, you want to misrepresent the idea that you can slander a company in public and not be called to account for it as free speech, but it isn't, and neither is an entity defending itself in public stifling your rights.

1. paradigmsearch profile image88
        paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Who said anything about slander? Jeez, learn how to intelligently debate.

I did make one mistake however. I should have said “injunction”, not “restraining order”.

I’ll give you a couple weeks to straighten yourself out and then maybe I’ll check back.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
          Jim Hunterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Who said anything about slander? Jeez, learn how to intelligently debate."

He said something about slander.

That is the only way a private company can shut you up.

The only thing a company can do to prevent you from talking is asking the court for a gag order until the case is solved.

And then its the court shutting you up not a private company.

1 point for him 0 for you.

Jim,

I checked out some of his other posts. He does know how to intelligently debate. My previous post was wrong to say otherwise.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image60

I"m not quibbling about the terminology...  But the only case where an entity of any kind, be it human or corporate, can in any way interfere with what you want to say, is when you specifically speak about that entity in public, and in a way that is not true AND it harms them.

Being able to hurt or harm someone is not free speech.   It is merely license to harm, and no such thing exists.   

If you wished to be honest, and state straightforward what you wished to debate, and that is libel and slander laws as they pertain to non human entities, then debate it.   But your assertion about "corporations taking away your freedom of speech" is nonsense and we all know that.   Which is why my answer was curt and contemptuous.    Don't lie to me.   I'm not an "opportunist" who tries to distort things to what they are not.  I see no problem with the merits of slander and libel laws, as such, I find little interest in debating them . 

Have you some take that merits debate?

Well said.

Hmmm, stay tuned for a future hub.

2. profile image0
            Texasbetaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Your free speech is not being taken away or impinged upon by any measure. The healthcare companies, who provide millions for lobbying Washington on their behalf, were pressured to not flat out lie to the American people with regards to this individual notion. They can do it all they want, but with actions come reactions. What you are arguing about is that corporations be allowed to publicly lie as a marketing campaign to impede upon legislation for their individual gain. Basically, you are a shill for the right wing and nothing more.

working