1. A.Villarasa profile image79
    A.Villarasaposted 6 years ago

"Leadership is a quest of men seeking to find themselves and in so seeking, they shape the lives of other people."

The above definition of leadership can be construed to mean that the effects one person has on other people are simply the unintended results of that person's search for his identity and destiny. I disagree with this particular formulation of leadership because of its passive tone and its egocentric direction. To me true leadership should be directed centrifugally, so to speak, in that a would-be leader should actively assume the reins of duty and responsibility not for his own self-fulfillment but for the well-being of others. Indeed, people who "do their own thing", and in so doing unintentionally  manage to change the lives of other people, are not leaders in the truest sense of the word. They are like the comets that blazed ever so brightly in the evening sky but soon are decimated by their self-consuming brilliance.

Great leaders throughout the ages have shared a common wisdom that transcended time and space--- the wisdom of perseverance,  which aimed at the renewal of  the sense of unity not only in the leaders immediate environment, but more generally in the area of humanity's shared beliefs and verities. I like to think that wisdom and authority should go together. The reality is, they do mix but only occasionally. On those rare occasions, I can say with certainty that the potential for unfetterd human interaction and development is achieved for no other reason than both ruler and ruled are acting in complete unison of purpose.