jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Private Company Taking Over Public Libraries

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

.http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/busi … ef=general
    a private company is taking over public libraries in a number of states in order to save money,I presume.
    It's not going over well with many residents but the town governments are cash strapped.
    There is a fear that personal service and attention will decrease with a private company running it.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image75
      schoolgirlforrealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yeah, and it prob won't be free anymore! sad

2. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not only privatised, but possibly automated...I draw the line at checking in or out books at Wal-Mart or Mac-Donalds, like movies....heaven help us.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago

...that's too bad...in Canada, the libraries are a huge burden on municipalities...no other gov't level funds them.

...so there'd be the 'walmart' of libraries...that's what i call some of the large private child care companies that are moving into Canada....walmart childcare....they keep squeezing in boasting about efficiency...well they have a different bottom line of course and it's not necessarily around early childhood development/learning...so i'm sure libraries would take on the same kind of look...

3. JayDeck profile image75
    JayDeckposted 6 years ago

We have a public library where i live, and it's the least expensive service in the town budget.
    Usually, privatization, of small government concerns, ends up costing money down the road. In Jersey, our first effort to privatize motor vehicle inspection services failed miserably and cost us big. Luckily, the company was contracted to do the job and we let the contract expire. We have since privatized the DMV entirely and, admittedly, they are doing a great job, but it's still a renewable contract.
    If the services are essentially the same, and the local government has the right to take back the library, if it doesn't work out, then it may not be terrible. However, never let them automate your library! Reducing the public's access to educational materials is a bad step to take in a democracy.

4. gracenotes profile image93
    gracenotesposted 6 years ago

It didn't go over well with the residents of my town several years ago.  If not for the mayor's deciding vote of "NO", we would have had our library services privatized.

A library is a unique enterprise.  In business, competition is everything, but try competing with a library.

I am proud to say that the citizens of my city are extremely supportive of our library, and have built up good relationships with library staff over the years.  Within our library we've got a certain culture and level of professional expertise that people revere.  It's no time to be messing with something this good.

There are other admittedly painful ways to cut expenses, and the city council found them.  Necessary measures, but at least not of the draconian variety.