Mexico is asking to enter the suit againt Arizona, with the US Gov

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. dutchman1951 profile image59
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

Should the Courts allow this? Why would a Foreign government be allowed to sue any US State?

Have we already lost State rights?

What the H... are we doing, even entertaining a idea like this for?

1. rachellrobinson profile image82
      rachellrobinsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The courts should not allow it. Will they? Only time will tell. I believe if they do then the other states will step up behind Arizona and support them. But we will just have to wait and see. The whole idea of the Federal govt. suing Arizona is nuts anyway.

2. manlypoetryman profile image77
      manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't we have a few issues about how they handle illegal things in their country...as well...like murder, kidnapping, drug trafficing, and discharging firearms in unsafe manner as to strike a government building in El Paso...? Me thinks they protest too much!

3. KFlippin profile image60
      KFlippinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We are bastardizing the American Dream, we are bastardizing the accepted and general and long term American Way, and this has been happening for several years now, and coming to fruition in the past few years in a very Michael Moorish Sicko way.  God Bless America..... smile

2. Jeremey profile image59
    Jeremeyposted 13 years ago

Interesting question.I doubt the courts would allow it. I don't think we've lost states rights, but I live in AZ and and from what I hear, see and live I do believe there is a need for the federal gov't to get involved, the issue doesn't just affect the border of AZ. No way should a foriegn gov't be able to any U.S. state unless that state in some way violates international agreements with said country.

dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totaly agree with you here, no way should they allow this.

3. weholdthesetruths profile image60
    weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years ago

So, the US Justice department has decided to give standing to a foreign country in a lawsuit to stop that state from enforcing the laws of the US, because the government doesn't like the laws and refuses to enforce them on its own? 

I think this is the first time, the federal government has betrayed a state to a foreign country.

dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and they are considering it!  thats whats amazing. The news last week cnbc, said the Obama administration has taken the request under consideration????

WTF...are we thinking here.

now, this past few days,  they have posted a statement that they are no longer considering it. (US Attorney Gen.'s office released the statement. like a correction to the story!)

guess they figured they better not try that one!

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"WTF...are we thinking here."

Most of us are thinking and we think the Justice department is now an arm of the U.N..

Some liberal Court may allow Mexico to get involved, they have allowed a lot of strange things.

But when it gets to a court with a majority of competent Judges it will be slapped around as it should.

This Justice department will soon have its hands full with internal investigations and resignations of its, er, leader.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image59
          uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank God the Supreme Court is more conservative now than it has been in a very long time.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep.

4. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

This is all just talk,  we have already lost the border wars , why?  Because we pledge allegience to corporate America. Cheap labor  dictates states rights , especially in the labor market.  In Vermont where I live it's the poor Dairy farmers . Subsidized by what? legalized illegals. Why , a difference in about 5 dollars an hour of labor costs. Migrant crop pickers , commercial fishermen, every landscaping company in America , and all the house maids in Washington DC....Do you really think either party will change  anything? Not as long as corporations have constitutional rights . I think Az. has already done something the rest of the country should have strength enough to do.

5. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 13 years ago

I'd have thought that Mexico ought to be more bothered about the push factors causing all these Mexicans to want to migrate in the first place.

1. Staci-Barbo7 profile image70
      Staci-Barbo7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Mexican government sees the United States as a bona fide official subsidy of their population.  A majority of the Mexicans who come to the U.S. illegally send money back home to family, so the money they pull out of the U.S. economy is plowed back into the Mexican economy.  The Mexican government now relies on that infusion and dares to PROTEST and SUE for it when a state does everything in its power to regain control over illegal immigration within its own borders.  Such outrageous audacity and shocking, dishonorable sense of entitlement. 

Further, the federal government has NO constitutional right to allow a foreign government standing to sue a state of this union.

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have yet to see anybody source an authority for this story - though conservatives are piling on. I know all this rage is fun, but maybe a few facts??? Or would that spoil the fun - sorry.

1. Staci-Barbo7 profile image70

Doug,

I am happy to provide the authority you requested:

The New American.com 
          "Mexico Joins Suit Against Arizona; Illegals Sue Rancher for Civil Rights Violations"
          Written by Joe Wolverton, II   
          Monday, 28 June 2010 09:00

Also, the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Thus, it is NOT unconstitutional for a state to enforce federal law.  The immigration laws currently in place are sufficient, IF they are enforced, either by the federal government and / or the state governments and / or the people.

"On Tuesday, June 22, Mexico filed a "friend of the court" brief in support of one of five lawsuits currently pending in federal court challenging the constitutionality of SB 1070."

So the OP is deceptive false and misleading. Mexico has NOT joined the suit as a plaintiff, only rendered their opinion in writing, protesting what they view as potential violations of the rights of Mexican citizens legally in the US.

I wish I had a dollar for every false, misleading & deceptive wingnut post on HP.

It says what I said - foreign countries have joined Mexico who filed 'friend of the court' brief. That's an opinion which they want the court to consider and it is NOT a request to be added to the suit as a plaintiff. If these terms are confusing, look them up.  But you wingnuts are full of prune juice claiming that a foreign country is suing Arizona.

1. profile image57
                  C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doug,

Your splitting hairs. When a brief is accepted by the court, it will be used in the court's ruling. This is a tactic often used by activist organizations. No doubt this is originating not by the countries mentioned, but rather some organization such as the ACLU. Since Mexico and other Latin American countries are NOT a party to the litigation they are submitting a brief. The reasoning and legal standing is that the decision can affect them. Affect them how?
                  In summary, their standing is based that they, a foriegn entity, benefit from illegal immigration. Great argument.

2. uncorrectedvision profile image59

I said nothing to imply or support the idea that Mexico had status to sue in any American court.  I sited the sources I did precisely because they lay out Mexico's position regarding the Arizona Law not, as you infer, that Mexico has any status beyond amicus curiae. 

By the way an amicus brief does imply that the party has a strong interest in the legal matter before a court and that the court recognizes that interest.  Though not a party to the case at hand amicus is a status conferred by the court and not open to just any party.  The party acting as amicus must have some interest in the case and that interest must be accepted by the court as germain.

The government of Mexico has made its opposition to the Arizona law well known.  Its amicus position is in support of the Justice Department's case so Mexico is involved in the case, not as paintiff, but as amicus in support of the plaintiff.  Isn't that joining the suit against Arizona? 

As to wingnut, since you are an avowed liberal I know that you can't fully understand what my position or opinion is.  So contradict, castigate, spew as much as you wish it doesn't matter at all to me.

2. Staci-Barbo7 profile image70

Doug,

The good members of Hubpages who protest this suit against Arizona represent the vast majority of Americans who believe that they are entitled to a government that enforces, not neglects, its laws.  And they also represent the sentiment of Americans who are outraged that the federal government has deemed it the place of the federal government to sue a state that is doing everything in its power to enforce the law of the land, in order to protect its citizens.

As to the distinction of party to the suit v. friend of the court, it really does not signify.  NO court should allow the Mexican government standing in either capacity to attack the state of Arizona.   

This issue before the court : 1) is at its root an unprecedented challenge by the federal challenge of the constitutional right of a state to enforce the law of the land; and 2) which concerns an internal security matter that Arizona has sought to address within its own borders

It is NOT a treaty matter, nor does it affect any valid direct LEGAL interests of Mexico, only those that are ILLEGAL, which Mexico is unabashedly promoting in this case in the the most thinly veiled fashion.  Therefore, based on every tenet of law and order, the Mexican government has no right to a place at the table.   And the table should rightly be dismantled by the first court that hears this case.

3. LondonGirl profile image81
              LondonGirlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is that as an amicus curaie?

1. profile image57

yes, it is.

2. shynsly profile image61
      shynslyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You'd think, but the problem, and what most people don't realize, is a lot of illegal aliens come here to work, sure... but not necessarily to live. They make the money here but don't spend much of it. At some point they're either caught and deported or voluntarily return to Mexico where they live like kings until the money is gone and it's time to head north again. All the while pumping mega bucks into the Mexican economy.

Not trying to sound like a racist, living 10 miles from the border as the crow flies, I actually have a few really good LEGAL Mexican friends, but it annoys the crap out me. They come here for a "better" life and to support their family, which I can understand, but the gratitude they show the U.S. for that better life is to trash the land as they cross it, refuse make the slightest effort to assimilate or learn the language, and then take all that money back to dump into the Mexican economy.

But I'M the a$$hole because I don't care for feeling like I now have to learn a new language at 31 just to survive in my own country?

6. uncorrectedvision profile image59
    uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years ago
  7. uncorrectedvision profile image59
    uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years ago
  8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

This more than anything show the weakness of the Obama administration.  That they would allow foreign governments to attack a state in the courts is just disgusting.  The Obama government opened the door on this by picking on Arizona while ignoring their own obligation of protecting our borders. Sickening.

9. perrya profile image85
    perryaposted 13 years ago

How could Mexico even have legal standing?

U.S. Constitution Article III Section 2 - the Federal Judiciary has jurisdiction over legal matters between a state and a foreign government.  Therefore the court decides if Mexico can have legal standing.

1. OpinionDuck profile image59
        OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jurisdiction is not standing to sue.

1. profile image57

Good point. Besides, what would be their argument? That the US is preventing Mexico from using the US as it's welfare system?

2. uncorrectedvision profile image59

WOW emphatic font much?  As I mentioned in an earlier post - amicus curiae is legal status in a court.  Foreign governments have standing it the courts determine that they have standing.  That is part of jurisdiction.

10. OpinionDuck profile image59
    OpinionDuckposted 13 years ago

It was back in June that Mexico made their desire to join the yet unfiled lawsuit at that time.

In November 2010

An interesting note by the Judge
    -----------------------------------

Court watchers are saying that the response by 9th circuit Federal Judge John T. Noonan to the DoJ brief on the suit against the AZ immigration law might have doomed it before the case has been heard:

Judge John T. Noonan Jr. grilled administration lawyers at a hearing before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit. He took aim at the core of the Justice Department's argument: that the Arizona statute is "preempted" by federal law and is especially troublesome because it requires mandatory immigration status checks in certain circumstances.
    "I've read your brief, I've read the District Court opinion, I've heard your interchange with my two colleagues, and I don't understand your argument," Noonan told deputy solicitor general Edwin S. Kneedler. "We are dependent as a court on counsel being responsive. . . . You keep saying the problem is that a state officer is told to do something. That's not a matter of preemption. . . . I would think the proper thing to do is to concede that this is a point where you don't have an argument."

"With respect, I do believe we have an argument," said Kneedler, who asserts that the Arizona law is unconstitutional and threatens civil liberties by subjecting lawful immigrants to "interrogation and police surveillance

11. jokeapptv profile image59
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

what a mess. i thank congress for this. we gotta start fixing up america.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)