Are Americans Unfuly Hysterical About Politics?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (72 posts)
  1. Charles James profile image68
    Charles Jamesposted 13 years ago

As a Brit, I enjoy the politics hubs and forums here on HubPages.

Some hubbers demonstrate a hysteria against Obama which seems far beyond the attacks on Clinton and Bush. I worry whether they are helping to create an atnosphere that would condone assassination.

Americans used to revere the office of President, whilst accepting that the current incumbent was not as wonderful as George Washington. Are Americands more hysterical than normal, or is this level of vitriol against a President normal?

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Some hubbers demonstrate a hysteria against Obama which seems far beyond the attacks on Clinton and Bush. I worry whether they are helping to create an atnosphere that would condone assassination."

And that statement isn't hysterical at all roll

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, how inciteful you are.

Notice I didn't say insightful.

Your post sounds like Nancy Pelosi's hysteria rhetoric.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thry are Brenda, you have it read well

3. Stump Parrish profile image59
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Every elected official out blaming another elected official for the problems this country faces, is doing nothing more than deflecting attention from the fact they they are there to serve themselves at our expense. All they need to do is keep someone else in the spotlight and they figure America won't pay attention to what is really going on in Washington with their bank accounts and carreers. This plan is working as intended.

We as a country base all of our political opinions/votes on the 15 second sound bite and can't even spell the word research let alone do any. We will go down in history as the smartest country ever to be destroyed by collective stupidity. Ignorance is unfortunately the right most Americans will fight hardest to retain. The pride of America will consistantly vote for those who will do them the most harm.

Good luck America, I don't give this country more than another 25 to 30 years and we will cease to exist as the Republic we were founded as.

Democracy/mob rule will be the downfall of this country and will be fought for proudly by the majority of citizens. They are fighting for and working towards a facist nation and refuse to consider the possibility that they might just be a damned idiot.

4. Stump Parrish profile image59

To answer your question, no. The same people who believed and still believe that Bush with the Repblican leadership didn't cause the problems we now face, are now swallowing the lies this party spreads about the Dems being responsible and that they want to kill your mother or grandfather. It's the same level of ignorance it's simply switched from defense mode to attack mode. Stupid is as stupid does and in this country stupid is the majority.

5. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry for the length. i'll get off the soap box here, just strong feelings nothing more  smile

its about basic freedoms being lost to changes to the fundamental way the Government operates, about being taxed to death to pay for every one else. and for that you bet we are up, awake and concerned. it is not hysterical, it is anger at some one lying and hiding there macabre agenda. The fight is for power to control the economy, power Bankers, vs. Power Capitalists. The winner to be the Big player in world economy and control.

Obama is in the Bankers pockets, if he succeeds, they will finance his all out effort to socialize the United states. Take it to a non-colonialization view, which he thinks we need.  People are saying NO we do not need that. Those Churchill days and attitude are over.

as far as assignation, though we have factions that are extreme, We Americans do not want that to happen at all.

However Obama is unfortunately slowly destroying himself with his social agenda, his ideas are not working. People are seeing through the fake, staged rallies, the organization of the SEIU as a stiff arm group, manipulation of the poor and minority groups to gain political vote.  The  deliberate over-run of the welfare system to break it, and to cause financial stress on the states, so he can call the system bankrupt, and thus change it  claiming there is real need!  As well as the spin speeches and such, so in time...he is sinking naturally

It is the reason for all the in-fighting and dis-agreement in the democratic Party. They did not have the mandate to change what was changed, took it upon themselves, above peoples wishes. It has seriously hurt them.

as far as US goes, we will always fight against fundamental changes to our government every time, and viciously to, because freedoms are valued here like an entitlement, and over time it has come to be expected. It is part of the US psyche, always has been.

that’s why all the Czar organizing, to undermining of the generations coming up psychologically. Mind Manipulation for what they wish to come in the future.

Many, many folks view it as dangerous. It remains to be seen if it is that communism change-over or just a basic equalization of earnings and an adjustment of human comfort levels.

It is interesting to watch, but very un-settling to all people who have worked for something and have truly earned what they have.  Not the rich, the folks who work hard to make it, they are loosing here. It’s those folks that there is no concern for at all.. Personally I think we are heading into class warfare, and bankruptcy as a nation. Both Moral and financial. We expect some one else to do everything for us, we are prime for a fall.

6. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely not normal. One of the funniest and most ironic things I have seen thus far is the "transparency" promise.  On the one had, sure I would like to see more but on the other hand.... there is so much transparency that...well... lol.  Now we know why there is so much mud slinging.

7. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The media here perpetuates that, and here in the forum I don't think that all the forum posts  are from Americans usually the one who are posting OPs are from other countries.

And those who frolick in the forums are the same people

8. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's gotten pretty hysterical, Some blame the cable "news" channels, others the Internet and others blame the rich "men behind the curtain" like the Koch brothers (oil billionaires), Rupert Murdoch, anonymous contributors to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Richard Scaife Mellon, et al who are funding the Tea Party and conservative GOP candidates. All the above are contributing to the hysteria. The current 10 percent unemployment rate and the depredations of the Wall Street banksters are also a major factor. Also, the tremendous increase in income disparity since the Reagan administration has reached the point that many people are losing faith in our democratic free enterprise system. The banking and health care industries have been grabbing a bigger and bigger share of GDP every year to an unsustainable point. Meanwhile the manufacturing industry and the good jobs it provided has been sacrificed on the altar of doctrinaire free trade,

You mention assassination, This is a real concern. I read not long ago that the Secret Service reports threats against the President are ten times higher than against George Bush. One of our Hubbers, Onusus, published a Hub which quoted a passage from the New Testament containing a veiled threat to assassinate the President. I believe it's been taken down, T-Shirts are with the same verse and a picture of President Obama were still for sale on EBay last time I checked.
      Another similar example is the Tea Tard candidate for the Senate from Nevada, Sharron Angle's remark that "Second Amendment" remedies might be necessary if the government doesn't shape up,

1. profile image0

Here you go...Chairman of the Republican Party in Wisconsin.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/

Priebus, talking about why Obama ought NOT to be executed... just watch.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Great clip. Nothing like a few facts and INFORMED commentary.

1. profile image0

I know but how many will actually watch it?

I'm sure Brenda will watch it!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

What is "unfuly"? (Sorry, not familiar with all Brit terms.)

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering that, too.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Certainly not getting involved in the discussion ( smile ) but as a Brit, I can assure you that we have no such word. I think that the poster perhaps meant, "Unduly."

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, that must be it. "Unduly Hysterical" instead of the normal American hysteria about politics.
          Thanks.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
            Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wouldn't know, Rochelle, not interested and don't want involved. Stumbled upon thread by accident and hoped only to clear up a typo issue - nothing more. smile

2. Aya Katz profile image83
            Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love the concept of normal hysteria.

1. profile image0
              DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you should see my inlaws at Thanksgiving....perfect description

2. Stump Parrish profile image59

Once you put the concept into action it kind of loses it's luster.

2. profile image0

ohhhhhh that makes sense. I thought maybe usally?

all I know is, the peopel I know are nuts about politics. It gets realy personal.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It's not solely upon the Office of President anymore.

The politicians in office fail to do their jobs as intended.

So, what you are actually getting is quite of few people just b**tching about more than just the President. However, the President isn't doing a better job and is only pushing forward with an agenda that will ultimately bankrupt the entire U.S.

Granted, the U.S. is already broke, but I mean breaking it's currency. The true currency for the U.S. is not in the dollar bills, $5 bills or any other denomination. It is set in gold and silver as per the U.S. Constitution.

The politicians continue to take what they want, and usually at the expense of all of society as a whole. They have proved they are not interested in doing what is best for society. This is obvious.

So, yes there is a lot of chatter about U.S. politics.

4. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I think he meant unruly.

I agree with some of Charles's sentiments. There does appear to be a rabid hatred of Obama on this site and most of it seems to be based on the colour of his skin than anything political.

I can think of at least three posters who wouldn't shed a tear if Obama was assassinated.

"I agree with some of Charles's sentiments. There does appear to be a rabid hatred of Obama on this site and most of it seems to be based on the colour of his skin than anything political."

Really?

I have not read anything negative about Obama because of the color of his skin.

More hysterics.

Remember, just because you say it doesn't make it true.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well if it ain't the eagle of reason flying on in to throw a few lines of 'intelligence' into the debate.

I think your ...ahem political views are some distance from Obama.

Just because you think your superior it doesn't mean you are.

Genghis Khan tells me you need to lean slightly to the right.

Take your time getting that one -  I know you will.....

"I think your ...ahem political views are some distance from Obama."

Well then I must be a racist.

Makes perfect sense.

wow I get a confession too?

My work is done

Yes, you get a confession.

Racism is behind all political disagreements.

I'm a racist, you're a racist, Obama is a racist.

Its racism run amok.

third line first three words ...bullseye

2nd three lines you're as off target as george bush and his relationship with his brain.

leave amok out of this

"I think your ...ahem political views are some distance from Obama."

What were you implying with this then?

Its clear that if I disagree with Obama politically I'm a racist.

You disagree with Clarence Thomas politically so you are a racist.

You said it, don't dance around your own conclusions.

This is why liberals are never taken seriously.

And why they are always removed from power.

Reasoning can be your friend.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

Once again the liberal think tank has been exposed as lacking so I will just move along.

Remember badtoe, don't try to breathe underwater.

well my constipated friend

what you understand about life is limtied by your inability to grasp that right wing macho politics never really wins. It just hangs about as long as people like you take it seriously.

Still at least you had the courage to admit you are a racist. That's where the argument stops.

Reasoning is your orphan.

Remeber Hunter don't try to breathe it really is a waste and a pollutant.

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
            couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like the 'Hillary Clinton' call to arms.  "Anyone who disagrees with this administration is called unpatriotic!!!"

3. Ralph Deeds profile image66

If the shoe fits.

Sure Ralph, all you and the rest have to do is say something and its so.

So make global warming stop.

Make Obama competent.

Make fox news disappear.

Make it happen Ralph.

Jim, a few facts along with your opinions might improve your credibility, but I doubt it.

Good point that no one will admit to publically. Bigotry is still considered to be a right in America. You just aren't allowed to admit it to strangers. Everyone hates some other group based on irrelevant attributes that don't concern them. This doesn't stop them from fighting to keep some right from them at every opportunity.

1. Stump Parrish profile image59

By the way Jim, I didn't state that you were a racist for simply disliking Obama. But can you honestly say that a lot of voters in this country aren't guilty of it? It also wouldn't matter to a lot of Repubs and Dems who you put in office. If the are from the other party they are entirely responsible for the problems in this country. Too few people still refuse to consider any other information than what they recieve from their trusted source. This source knows it can say what ever it wants to as they no that no one will take the time to verify anything they are fed. They can say that the Brit's healthcare system routinely gases the elderly and not one of the listeners will bother to log on to a site in the country being discussed and find out for themselves.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60

I see a lot of hatred but haven't seen anyone mention color at all.  On what do you base this judgment, Badtoe?

it's veiled

it's cowardice

it's there

you can choose to pretend

I won't

I'll even be gracious and not mention names but they know who they are?

The name's Joe

4. Friendlyword profile image60
      Friendlywordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. He meant Unduly Hysterical.  There is no logical reason for the hate shown for this mild mannered, forever patient, good family man.
      If the hysteria was about finances; they would have strung up Bush...he was elected to a second term.
      This Unduly Hysterical lynching is the product of racism. It is so mean and obvious by some; I don't see why they bother to deny it.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

Your question gets to the heart of why we broke free from the British empire.  You people are so damned polite you're boring.

Hey Ron

so true!!

I broke away from the British Empire a long time ago too!

thanks for the compliment.......

LOL Ron.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

I completely agree with the OP.
    I don't remember people bringing guns to town meetings before.....standing up and SCREAMING at politicians as if they are insane off their meds.

Signs threatening violence...."not this time", Tree of liberty watered with blood", etc....

Not to mention...when did they ever question a president's birth?
    School kids singing a song to him?
    Put him DOWN for visiting troops?

it's crazy on a stick. And anyone crazy or hateful enough to go for it--we got your number.
    And it's less than 0...HAHAHAHA.

Now don't cry.Don't get upset. Just take your meds so you can stem the insanity.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60

LMC -  with respect, you are either very young or have a poor memory.  People did the same thing to Bush.  They (whoever 'they' are) screamed when he was reading to school children on 9/11, they screamed when he visited the troops saying it was just a photo op.  They said Clinton went in for photo ops.  Someone is always screaming.  I think Bush and Obama are both gracious presidents.  Now Nancy, on the other hand?  No comment.

Bush gracious!!!!

FFS!

Surely right wing republicans don't think the bible has been renamed as politics made easy?

Bush was and still is an imbecile who will never wash the blood from his hands. Iraq and Afghansitan was a board game gone bad.

Jeez! what is wrong with you people?

2. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

With respect, cpc, no they didn't!
        They weren't allowed.
        Security was skin-tight whenever Buschco made the rounds.
        There would NEVER have been a gun anywhere NEAR the POTUS then.
        For God's sakes, Cindy Sheehean was ARRESTED for wearing an anti-war tee-shirt at a Bush speech.

Contrast that with today, when a member of Congress yells out "LIAR" to the president at a state of the union speech.
        And then becomes a hero for it!!

No, the hatred and disrespect is unprecedented, and I say it is racism at it's core. I agree totally with Bill Maher on this one.

No time ever do I recall a first lady being called "trash", or a first kid a "common street-walker".

The main reason for this IMO is that the people you are reffering to had their guy Bush in office. This hysteria started as soon as they lost the election. They refuse to admit there is any chance their party is responsible for any of the problems we are facing. Some have mentioned the bankers controlling Obama. Wasn't it Bush who deregulated the industry to the point that they were able to almost break the country? Some have mentioned the country screaming about Bush reading to children and this is wrong. They were screaming about the fact that he sat twiddling his thumbs with a dumb look on his face for 7 minutes after the country was attacked. Some used to complain about Obama's christian preacher and now they scream about him being a Muslim. Obama thinks a problem thru and works towards a solution to the problem knowing the repubs will block every attempt he makes to accomplish anything and Bush prayed about it.

1. profile image0
        Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, NO that's not it.
        People started screaming at Town Hall meetings because their paid Representatives made it clear they didn't give one whit about their constituents' opinions.   They started laughing and mocking after Pelosi and Reid and Obama and others decided we were dumb enough to believe anything they said without questioning it,  while Pelosi said the dumbest things like we have to get the Bill passed before we can find out what it even says!

And we started being vocal about racism and tyranny after we saw Obama being blatantly racist from his podium, yet no one had the nerve to call him out for it.

And we started protesting against tyranny and perversion after it was being shoved down our throats.

We have patience with silliness and even with evil sometimes.  But not forever.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ummmmmmm Brenda....

....maybe you should stop mentioning perversion being shoved down your throat

1. profile image0

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  oh, sorry, but that was so funny.
            DOH!

2. profile image0

Yes, we know you became very vocal about your racism. Protest pictures with Obama with a bone through his nose, zeaolots with "God hates America" signs not to mention the ones about "Fags".  Signs that read "Go back to Africa Obama", yes maybe there was a reason they weren't listening to you.

And they still aren't listening to you. lol

3. lovemychris profile image76
          lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"we started being vocal about racism and tyranny after we saw Obama being blatantly racist from his podium, yet no one had the nerve to call him out for it.

And we started protesting against tyranny and perversion after it was being shoved down our throats."

Examples please....I do not relate.

7. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

I think it pretty much started when Clinton didn't send Airforce I to pick up W.  This is a presidential tradition and was made into a direct insult.  Clinton's people also removed all the Ws from all the keyboards in the White House.

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I would definitely say that some Americans are more hysterical than normal.. and more vocal. yes, I agree there have always been dissenters and hystericals, but I don't recall ever seeing it as crazy and mean as it is now. then we have these religious whackos protesting at funerals for our soldiers carrying signs and teaching their 3 year olds to sing god hates you songs..

9. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

I think that the "hysteria" that is so prevalent right now is directly tied to the state of our economy and now I do not blame Obama for the mess our country is in. I think that we Citizens of the U.S. tend to become increasingly vocal when we feel the walls closing in so to speak.
    From my perspective in an area where the poor economy does not seem to be showing any signs of improvement it is difficult to understand why our elected officials seem to not be able to get a handle on things. When our economy is okay and people are not so worried about the future the "Hysteria" is less.

10. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Quite a few unduly hysterical posts here.

11. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Clarification, please.
    What is the difference between a bigot and a racist?
    Is Obama a bigot? Or just a racist?

Don't know ask Cletus.

You must be in bad shape if you're passing on simple questions for your twin brother to answer?

Are you feeling free from sef persecution since your very public admittance to where you stand on the issue of race now?

12. Charles James profile image68

Well fellow hubbers I proof read the text but forgot to proof read the headline. I meant to ask if Americans are unduly hysterical - but thanks for some of the improvisation.

The stupid bank lending happened under Bush - Obama inherited the mess. I have the sense that some purists say the Government should have done nothing and let the chips fall where they will. They believe that the system is self correcting if it is allowed time to self correct.

Others say that it was necessary to rescue the system before even more people got hurt.

I think what annoys everyone is that the shortsighted greedy people who caused the crash by and large are doing very nicely noe but the ordinary people who actually generate the wealth are landed with the bill.

But why blame Obama for what the bankers did under a Republican administration?

1. wingedcentaur profile image65
      wingedcentaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good Day Charles James!

I usually do not venture into the politics and religion forums. But your first post, typo aside, was thoughtful. Now usually we Americans are actually rather apathetic about politics. To imply that there is undue hysteria in the air is to imply a rather uncharacteristic American passion for politics.

The Democratic and Republican parties, though different and I know this, have become so homogenized over the past forty years (i.e., neoliberalism, neoconservatism, et al) that any discenible difference causes disproportionate excitement, in my view. Does that make sense?

Cultural or social issues tend to be big ticket items for large swaths of American voters -- you know, "values" issues. People gave Obama a hard time about saying that some people, in the face of economic uncertainty "cling" to the religion and guns. I don't know if you were aware of that controversy but this accurate remark caused something of the brouhaha -- or at least our corporate media informed us that Obama's remark caused a big brouhaha!

Something interesting about the Obama phenomenon. Some historical perspective of both Democratic and Republican parties might help. From the time of Lincoln (late 1800s) to the 1960s the Democrats were the party of white southern segregationists -- remember it had been Lincoln's Republican party that "freed" the slaves and so forth, and were more socially progressive.

After the Great Society reforms of the Lyndon Johnson administration the white southern segregationist Democrats became Republicans. That was one wave of change that made the Republican party more socially conservative.

Then there was the "neoconservative" movement which got its start in the 1950s with a University of Chicago political philosopher called Leo Strauss -- there's a great documentary movie which talks about that called "The Power of Nightmares" (which can be viewed on line) by Adam Curtis for the BBC. That was another wave (which actually homogenized and moved both major parties to the right) which conservatized the Republican party, made it yet more socially conservative.

This movement got it initial impetus from the perceived "failure" of progressive social policies of the 60s and 70s.

Then in the late 1970s and into the 1980s with Ronald Regan here and Margaret Thatcher in the U.K., came "Neoliberalism" (which actually homogenized and moved both major parties to the right) further conservatized the Republican party and their affiliates and associates.

David Harvey wrote a good book called "A Brief History of Neoliberalism." I haven't read it but I view the YouTube speech he gave based on the book. He's a very good lecturer so I figure the book must be good.

Also, in the eighties the Religious Right joined forces with the Republican party, making it -- you got it -- yet MORE socially conservative.

Given all that we have Obama the first black president of the United States, who is also head of the Democratic party.

Remember, the Republican party's conservatism has been reinforced by at least four waves of social movements. Those elements in our society who are "hysterical" about Obama, then, are those elements from the Republican party and their affiliates and associates who are either the genetic (in some cases) and ideological descendants of those original migrating southern white segregationist southern Democrats.

Representative Joe Wilson shouts out "You lie" to the president who makes a speech before the joint session of Congress. Then again Wilson is from South Carolina...... Some of them probably think Obama should be picking their cotton rather than trying to tell congress what to do.

1. profile image0

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/#39585224

Because they believe that letting people's houses burn down is "the good Christian thing to do" and "some people are just born to be slaves" and that "Obama should be executed".

They are insane and just plain evil.  Just plain evil.

2. profile image0

As far as I understand it, the big polluters, the religious industry (not an attack on the small church down the street) the people who depend on oil to sustain their wealthy etc...

Well those are the same folks who are also polluting the media.  It doesn't seem to matter how much you put out there about the 'real' problems and who is doing what ie: Koch Brothers (two of the richest and biggest pollutions in the world) Rupert Murdoch (media mogul, owns most of the worlds media) Untapped oil in Alaska, BP... even though responsible for the recent disaster somehow have people cheering for them and believe they could do no wrong.

Republican deregulation of safety standards that have killed so many people over things that could have otherwise been avoided...

People are being pretty shameful and I doubt very much that if some folks could accept that they are being swindled, there is no way they could vote Republican.

It just doesn't make any sense at all for the middle class or the poor or migrants or woman or "real" small business owners to vote Republican based on what the Republicans plan to do.

Their plans don't include protecting or helping woman, children, middle class, jobs creation, sustainable energy, clean up the pollution, ending wars...

All they want is money.  It doesn't seem to matter to them that they are taking money from other countries to fund their campaigns. 

It doesn't seem to matter that their primary candidates are running on slogans about masturbation, abortion, and not being a witch.

It doesn't seem to matter that the hard right is trying to regulate everything you do in your daily lives and they act as if the government is watching you right now and you have no freedoms or some other weird crap.

I have never had any government worker come up to me and ask me about anything, they don't stand outside my home and monitor the things I do but some people act like they do.

very articulate piece Sandra but as lucid as it is your pearls of wisdom are they will not register inside the heads of the extraordinarly narrow minded right wingers on here who still truly believe that George Bush was a good president. That view alone is a ringing endorsement for cerebral circumsisation, oh but hang on I'm too late with that one!

Keep up the good work.

13. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

You will just love this guy.  He believes that radiation is good and America should be sprinkled with it! 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908//v … 7#39585397

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

This thread obviously positively answers its title question big_smile

15. Charles James profile image68

Thank you, contributors. I suspect wingedcentaur is of an age with me, because he reminds me of aspects of American history I had forgotten.

Sandra is a star - keep it up!

But where are the Republican and Conservaqtive supporters. They also have valid points to make.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)