jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

The News - Depressing?

1. Don W profile image83
    Don Wposted 6 years ago

In your opinion does watching/reading/listening to the news on a regular basis contribute to a negative, pessimistic outlook and if so how much?

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

it depends on the news source. I watch pbs. for an hour most evenings. and also read NYT.

sometimes cnn, they did an excellent job covering the rescue of the miners.

but overall, yes, I think 24/7 news or news/entertainment shows has added to the negativity of our society. thoughts feed us mentally.

1. 0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago in reply to this

PBS, good stuff.

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 6 years ago in reply to this

if you relied on watching the news, yes, it would be a bit depressing as you would have to view several sources to see enough opinion to sort out a reasonable truth. They are so, bought and paid for, on both extremes its hard to get a real insight anymore.

we have lost the art of Journalism I think, it is more entertainment and cheeze cake now, not much substance.

2. 0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 6 years ago

I try to avoid it personaly. At least as far as the local news goes. So many reports on who died and who killed who and who got in a car accident. It serves no purpose for the suffering family, (and I know from expierence how awful it is to have your suffering printed out like one more tid bit of gossip)and why do I need to know one more person had something awful happen that I cant do anything about?

I think it does contribute to desensitizimg people.

3. b. Malin profile image59
    b. Malinposted 6 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more.  I no longer watch Local TV news....for it's not news, it's what they think will give them better ratings over the other networks.  So they go for sensationalism.  It's rare that you hear a hart warming story.  I catch Radio news when I'm tuned in.  I do like Fox for information with no spin. 

To sum it up....Give me Larry David or Steinfeild, try them...and you'll be smiling once more!

4. Mikeydoes profile image80
    Mikeydoesposted 6 years ago

Local news is always about who gets murdered and raped... Really not my cup of tea. Any cable tv show that says, "the far left is blah or the far right is blah" I just turn it off. All they do is attack eachother and its a huge popularity contest for ratings, and ultimately a popularity contest for the presidency. I get my news from in the internet. There are legitimate stories out there still, but a lot of it is bogus.

PBS = Antiques Roadshow!

5. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 6 years ago

There are few news stories that capture my imagination, so I don't watch much of it.  Over the past few days, however, the rescue of the Chilean miners has done just that.
    The human struggle inherent in their virtual burial and the rescue has gained my attention and given me renewed hope and faith in our world.

6. 0
    klarawieckposted 6 years ago

It's just scary. There is always a rapist or serial killer out there. Or, there might be a band of clouds and they are advertising the next Katrina. Please! I have better things to do with my time! roll

7. 0
    china manposted 6 years ago

The state of the media reflects the listeners - dumbed down and confused, then fed half-truths seasoned with the lies that slowly but surely get you all dancing to the pipers tune.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

it is depressing and can affect how one thinks and feels...
    and remember good news is boring so sensational news gets viewers and readers and sponsors...hmm