jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Barack Obama Entering Sikh Shrine With Headscarf An Issue?

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 6 years ago

As per media reports, Obama's team had reservations about President wearing a headscarf to visit the Golden Temple. As per Sikh tradition, it's compulsory to cover the head when one enters the Gurudwara, their place of worship.

Obama is facing a crisis of image in conservative and right wing sections in the US society. Since his middle name is Hussein, his religiosity is being debated hotly, in spite of Obama declaring that he is a practising Christian.

Along with above issue citing security reasons obama is expected to skip Amritsar while on visit to India...

Is wearing headscarf an issue or is media spreading rumor or obama team being over cautious?

2. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 6 years ago

I read the news reports that cite the reasons for Obama skipping Golden Temple - though I will definitely wonder why he wanted to visit it in the first place! Anyway, the temple managers have no issue with people from "other religion" visiting - so any justification for NOT visiting has to come from Obama's team only.

On the other hand, I was more interested in another news item - which said that prospective participants from Indian Industry have been asked to fill questionnaires regarding outsourcing/offshoring.

The same news item also cited that participants were asked for a $ 1000 fee, which was later retracted in face of protests. However, another fees of, hold your breath, US $ 75,000 (it is not a typo) will be charged from corporate participants!

1. pisean282311 profile image59
      pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol $75,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. SiddSingh profile image60
        SiddSinghposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Even with a $ 75 K fee, I guess Indian corporates are lining up to hear a sermon on ills of offshoring to Indian companies, and the benefits of buying made in America fighter planes - that is all he is willing to discuss at this stage.

3. 60
    laurarothsteinposted 6 years ago

I'll get it. The many times I think in my mind that if I were to kill so many people then how would I show my face in front of God after my death but you see after those people keep compelling me to take these steps, I can't help.