jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is this popularity report true?

1. Aficionada profile image94
    Aficionadaposted 6 years ago

Yahoo! headline says that former Pres. Clinton is more popular than President Obama.  Is that actually so? - true among supporters; non-supporters?

They clearly didn't include me in the poll.  I can't think of any president I would dislike more than former Pres. Bill Clinton.  At least not any in my lifetime.

How is popularity determined or measured?

2. rui paiva profile image60
    rui paivaposted 6 years ago

Outside the U.S. President Obama is very popular, i think much more than the President Clinton....

3. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I believe that is true in the U.S. at this moment. I think it's less a reflection on Clinton than it is on Obama.

@rui palva -- Perhaps you can enlighten me as to why folks in other countries think Obama is so great? I (we) just don't get it.

1. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I understand that, and I believe you are correct.  I'm just saying that even though I didn't/don't support either one, I feel that Clinton set the bar very high for dislike.

It's interesting/funny/amusing to me to see how around the world people's opinions of the US and US politics are often so different from the way we see things here.  Do we only get one side of their story?  [i.e., is there more variety in their opinions than we hear about?]

I do think that it would be to our benefit to pay more attention to the way others feel about us - sort of like letting your best friend tell you when you've done something wrong (or right).  All I can say about their perception of our presidents, though, is that they have less information to go on than we do - just as we have less information about their leaders and laws and policies than they do about their own.

1. 0
        china manposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not to disagree with the point of your post - but the reason you don't know much about your Pres, or anything really, is  because of the mountains of total busdust that passes for your news and the never-ending obfuscations of your politicians as they try to talk to please the most people, and the most little groups, and are religiously careful about not using real words or actually saying anything.

Outside - we just see what they do.   Bush caused untold death and destruction for no apparent reason except oil profits, Good 'ole Bill did nothing much except get blown out of all proportion, and any good 'uns, well you guys shoot 'em in case they do something good.  And I can't remember the clowns in between.