Bush Says His Greatest Failure Was Not Privatizing Social Security

1. kerryg profile image88
    kerrygposted 6 years ago

The man has the self-awareness of a ROCK.

Not Katrina, not the biggest financial meltdown since the Great Depression, not even failing to catch bin Laden, but not privatizing social security.

In light of the aforementioned financial meltdown, he might as well plaster a big sign on his forehead saying, "Hi, my name is George W. Bush. My biggest failure as president was not screwing over the elderly enough."

He considers his greatest accomplishment to be "keeping America safe amidst a real danger."

I don't know how ignoring multiple urgent security warnings from the previous administration and practically every other security organization on the planet in the months leading up to the most deadly attack on American soil since WW2 counts as "keeping us safe," but I realize 9/11 is regarded as nothing more than a justification for eviscerating the Constitution in Republican circles.

If that was the goal, as I suspect it was, then he did indeed succeed with flying colors, and I will continue to laugh bitterly over here on the sidelines at all the conservatives who've suddenly realized that maybe eviscerating the Constitution wasn't such a brilliant idea after all because - oops! - now that the other party is in power. Of course Bush only took away our rights to keep us safe, but who knows what those crazy libruls will do! They're dangerous! tongue

1. pisean282311 profile image59
      pisean282311posted 6 years ago in reply to this

"Hi, my name is George W. Bush. My biggest failure as president was not screwing over the elderly enough." lol

2. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 6 years ago

I will say that I have always thought that he actually believes in what he says, but that's small comfort.

Worse, when compared to most Republicans, he was fairly centrist on many things.  Heck, he even stood up and defended atheists once.  Until he engaged us in Iraq, I wasn't grinding my teeth every time I saw him on the news and even applauded some of the things he wanted to do.

Privatizing SS would be idiotic. I'm all for reform:  SS should be heavily taxable when other income exceeds some multiple of poverty level - if you are pulling down a few hundred thou a year from other sources you certainly should be paying most of it right back.

But the recent recession should certainly teach us that privatizing something as important as SS is very dangerous.  Well, unless you like the idea of millions of starving seniors.