Citizenship For Sale?

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

Citizenship For Sale?
    by Daniel Gross, Yahoo! Finance
    Monday, October 25, 2010

You can't simply purchase an American passport (at least not legally). But since 1990, foreigners with as little as $500,000 in cash have been able to invest their way to a quick green card, putting them on the path to citizenship. Quick, somebody call Lou Dobbs!

Yes, the U.S. government lets people with cash to jump the line for a green card through the  EB-5 program.

Starting in 1990, 10,000 visas have been set aside each year for the EB-category. The program was designed to encourage foreign investors to create jobs by starting a new business or preserve jobs by investing in money-losing businesses. If they agree to invest $1 million, foreigners can get a visa, apply for green cards, and become conditional permanent residents.

2. Jesusjohn78 profile image81
    Jesusjohn78posted 6 years ago

how ever if you already own a business in the US and were here LEGALLY they are denying more and more visa renewals … gly_denied

3. mikelong profile image83
    mikelongposted 6 years ago

This idea of "buying one's way" into the U.S. is nothing new.

Very little has been documented about the role of U.S. missionaries on immigration. My great grandfather was a renown Protestant minister of Ottoman-Armenian background living in Egypt. The Church of God organization, among others, was very interested in his "mission field" (or rather, the revenue stream that it offered).

The Church offered this relative of mine a deal.....make a "contribution" to the Church leader's son's dental school fund and immigration documents to the U.S. would be created.....and they were.....and here I am as a descendant of this legacy..

There is far more complexity to this nation's immmigration history than meets the is quite fractal...