Is it cheating to give a point?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image70
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years ago

If a person has an 80/c in a class and needs an 81/B to be admited in to their degree program, should it just be given or is that cheating?

1. Meredith Clarke profile image76
      Meredith Clarkeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it should ever be so black and white, in other words there are usually other issues at play.  It's one point and one point can be given, or taken, for a reason.  It's not cheating in my opinion.

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks like they could do something for extra credit to earn that extra point.  That way no one could say it is cheating. As the student did earn it.

FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe the point should be an issue either. I am currently working on my BS in Science....This how long I have been waiting to get into the (ADN) RN program. College is just a business and they would rather me re-take the class for 1 point, so they could get another 1,200 out of me, then letting me continue.
          I even went through old test and found errors where I could have been legit. in earning the point, but the teach went through and re-graded my test saying, "well you may have been right that I graded number 12 and 22 wrong, but I shouldn't have given you creadit for 54 and 62....Isn't that crazy?

2. FrankiesGirl6Yr profile image70
    FrankiesGirl6Yrposted 13 years ago

I have about had it!! I am a single mother of two and have been going to school year round for two years!!! I'm about to through in towel over the dispute of this point!! It is already going to take me 4yrs to get a 2 yr degree do to the requirements and the 2000 students fighting for a spot...

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Who is they?

How far up the ladder have you brought this issue?

A Professor can be trumped by the Head of the Department, The Head of the Department by the Dean of Students.

For $1200 you should exhaust all other possibilities.

Is that a B required overall? or just this one class - Nursing is a degree program that I hope they stay picky in! and neither a 80 or 81 is exactly stellar.

Thats still a 19% chance that you may kill me! ..ok, i kid, maybe.. good luck, work the chain of command.

So far I have only gone as far as the department head.  If you can believe it, I am disputing points she gave out for a quiz, which included an extra 5pts, had you attended every class (the only extra credit ever given). She had that I missed a class on her roster, which I proved to be untrue. Come on,! if she submitted those points at the end, I believe there should be NO questions regarding my POINT. As far as my other grades all A's and B's. I also went through the course and was certified as a CNA on top of the full class load so I could enter at this option. By no means am I a slacker!! I am one of the 3 out of 16 students that passed the class..

If she were to change the grade, does anyone know if goes on a record or is it a long drawn out process?

4. Meredith Clarke profile image76
    Meredith Clarkeposted 13 years ago

I admire your persistence because you will always need it in your career.  Be prepared for many obstacles when you have your family at one side and your career at the other.  Consider this issue something of a test and tackle it head on.  If you've been doing well all along and it's really just a little thing, then push ahead of the teacher.  Show them what you've got!

5. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I know your situation. I once needed a 3.0 to get into a program and ended up with a 2.994 (actually, it showed up as a 2.99, but I was able to use some contacts to learn it was actually 2.994, and was therefore rounding down to 2.99). Eventually I convinced the head of the department my grade should be rounded up, but they made me jump through hoops to get there.

I am truly hoping that this can be resolved through the department head. I also placed this question on Answer.com and it seems that those who have come up against a point have resolved the issue through debate, rather than having to retake the class.
      On the other site though, I received criticism, from one individual, due to the program of study being “Nursing”, but the fact is I have never failed or repeated a class, my overall GPA is higher than average, and if I thought this “point” would affect my ability in completing the program or more importantly, care for others, there is no way I would pressure the issue at hand.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)