jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Shades of Howard Zinn: It's Okay If It's Impossible

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
    William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2010/11/02-2

This is on the surface about Howard Zinn, but it's really about the state of our Nation and what's gone wrong.  It's long but well worth the read.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image68
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Two great Americans Howard Zinn and Bill Moyers.

2. weholdthesetruths profile image60
      weholdthesetruthsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

LOL, Howard Zinn was a communist (by definition insane) and Moyers only slightly less insane. 

The only thing that article confirms is that neither understood a blasted thing about the countries they lived in.

2. lovemychris profile image81
    lovemychrisposted 6 years ago

Wow...look at that. Dismissing 2 great thinkers and real caring men with the brush of a smear!!

These 2 know a lot more about America than men who confine their lives to the golf course and drinking in bars (Boner)(Limbaugh...oops, that drugs with him)

Real Americans are not dismissive of their fellow countrymen. Real Americans do not think they walk on water.

And Real Americans don't walk around trying to bring their President down, rather than do for the American people (Repub leadership).

America is full of false Americans, IMO.

1. weholdthesetruths profile image60

Zinn and Moyers are neither caring nor wise.   Both are radical ideologues with no common sense, no respect for the country, and certainly could not possibly care about the average person.   If they did, they would not be leftists or communists.

1. William R. Wilson profile image60
        William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow.  You've obviously never read anything by Zinn.

LOL, no, I'm just not a mindless fool.   Zinn's the fool.   Clever, but fool, just the same.    He sells the most idiotic of nonsense using clever wording and carefully constructed universes of illogic.   

Sorry, Zinn's despicable.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image67
            I am DB Cooperposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What about the historical parts of A People's History of the United States? I mean, a lot of that is facts about what really happened, as opposed to the propaganda children are taught in schools (Columbus the hero, Pilgrims and natives celebrating Thanksgiving together with a big turkey and pumpkin pie, etc). Zinn certainly takes a one-sided view of things, but there are few historians that would argue he isn't right about Columbus being brutal to natives, the explorers wiping out South American civilizations, etc. It was radical when compared to what I was taught in elementary school, including the bizarre idea that colonists and native americans formed a truce and got along great, and that was the end of it. No explanation for why there are so few natives around today. I guess they must be hiding on those parcels of land (which are adequate, of course) the foreign people let them stay on. That's not saying Zinn was the first to put these facts onto paper, just that his book was popular and at least parts of it were correct.

Everything Zinn wrote is propaganda.

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Yeah, and may I add that Plymouth Rock is puny!!!
    It's so disappointing when reality doesn't measure up to the crafted image.
    We're about to see just how caring about "The American People" Mr. Boner really is. I bet he makes Pelosi look like a saint in comparison!

1. lovemychris profile image81
      lovemychrisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He learned how to cry at the Beckles School of Fake Drama! wink

working