Significant Moments in the 2010 Mid-Term Elections

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Would love to hear other people share any standout moments from yesterday's elections. What surprised you? Who surprised you?
    Category is wide open, but personally, I'm going to share (for this OP anyway) on the most ridiculous and insincere concession ever.

The CA senate race between incumbent Barbara Boxer(D) and former HP CEO Carly Fiorina(R) was called by all the major media (including AP) about 10pm last night, with only 39% of precincts counted (basically, all the "red" districts were counted but historically "blue" LA and SF -- big population areas -- had not yet been counted).
    Fiorina swaggered down to her party and declared that it was still a dead heat and too early to call (at that point it was 48/46 Boxer, with Boxer's lead growing by the minute).

Carly Fiorina waited until THIS MORNING to concede. Perhaps that is done in the lofty world of business. But in politics it's eally poor form (see actual results below).
    And this is the woman who was going to take the "arrogance" out of Washington??????
    More puzzling is her observation that she could "not overcome the registration advantage that Democrats have in California."
    She's just figuring out NOW that this is a blue state? Gee, maybe next time she should go and run for senator in China, since she likes it so much. I hear they're pretty RED over there lol

Sacramento Bee
    November 3, 1020
    Fiorina concedes to Boxer

Saying "the outcome is clear," GOP Senate candidate Carly Fiorina conceded defeat this morning to Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer.
    Election Results U.S. Senate
    Precincts Reporting: 100%
    Statewide results
    Barbara Boxer (D)    52%
    Carly Fiorina (R)    42.6%

More Results:
    Addressing reporters, Fiorina said she had called Boxer to express her congratulations. And she said it was time for Democrats and Republicans to set aside partisanship.

"I hope all will come together," she said, adding that members of Congress should "redouble their efforts" to make sure that all people have a chance to live the American Dream.

Fiorina, 56, the former head of Hewlett-Packard, said she could not overcome the registration advantage that Democrats have in California.

But she said: "This has been a great ride. ... I would not trade a single moment."

Read more:
    http://blogs.sacbee.com/capitolalertlat … z14GMd1TfZ

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
      Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In all of her campaign ads, Fiorina looked like a starlet auditioning for a cheap perfume and playing “cute” – she came across like phony (which she definitely is).
      Blaming the lack of support from the California voters on the fact that lots of people are registered democrats just shows how much she knows about politics and how sold she is on the idea that one should only vote for the party, no matter how lousy the candidate is.
      Let’s hope she gets a job in China or wherever – as long as it is far from California

2. Mighty Mom profile image79

Gotta ask you, Petra. Did you follow through and not vote?
    Whether you did or did not -- how do you feel about the results?
    I guess I'm spoiled. I have only ever lived in blue states!

1. Petra Vlah profile image61
      Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did not vote, so I have no right to voice an opinion, but I will anyway; Fiorina was a disaster and Meg even more so - not that I am happy with Jerry, but he is a half decent man with good intentions, but totally incompetent.
      As for Boxer, I profoundly dislike her while I have great respect for Dianne

3. Mighty Mom profile image79

You are an American and a Californian, so you have as much right to voice an opinion as anyone!
    I'm looking forward to see if Jerry is able to fulfill his promises on passing a budget. Couldn't possibly do WORSE than this year's session (oy!).

Generally speaking, I'll take decent with good intentions over egotistical and unprincipled any day!

Liked your analogy of Fiorina. Neither she nor Meg were able to pull off anything close to warm, friendly, or even human (if you ask me).

1. dutchman1951 profile image61
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have to agree here. maybe too Friendly a look.

I think california is a state hurting, needing jobs and dignity and space. I think they are based by a backbone of Factory folks in research, aircraft, electronics and some very high tech stuff, and Union or not I am not sure they Wanted to hand Meg the keys, for a full capitalist agenda.

I think maybe her real reputation of heavy cuts, low wages and weak benifits at EBAY may have been very visible to an educated and middle hard- working class of folks there. And the More radical folks would not be attracted to her. I think they took the less of two evils maybe.

Boxer, reguardless of what folks around the conservitive U.S. may think, has done some good things in her time in office also.

She is a bit entrenched in her district I'd say. Very hard to up-root.

4. Mighty Mom profile image79

Thank you for your astute comments, dutchman.
    I think California already tried the businessperson/leader experiment with Arnold.
    But I don't really think this election was so much a 180 degree turn away from Arnold.

People got tired fast of Meg's constant negativity. She started by pounding poor Steve Poizner in the primaries. She was relentless in her attacks on Brown. This made her come across as nasty.
    The nannygate fiasco really hurt her. Not voting for decades didn't help her either. Plus she had no good articulated plan.
    Not to mention that most people found her excessive spending on the campaign obscene.

Fiorina has shown herself to be out of touch with the state. Her views wayyy to extreme right for us.
    And arrogant -- omg.

I do hope this was a wake-up call to Boxer, tho.
    And I am cautiously optimistic about Brown getting the partisan politics to end.
    Time will tell...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)