jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Who was more influential: Abraham Lincoln or Charles Darwin?

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 6 years ago

Both men were born on February 12, 1809 and both controversial and later respected. Lincoln was the most hated man in the United States during his presidency. His policies such as suspending habeas corpus and his outragious emancipation proclamation caused him to loose a lot of friends on his Facebook page. Darwin, shocked most of the world with his simple observation and who established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestry, and proposed the scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection. He was made to sit at the back of the room during church service from then on.

1. 0
      Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I am not American, and all I know about Lincoln is that he was a US president.  As for Darwin, I learnt about evolution years ago, and recently read some stuff about his life, and the politics that resulted since publishing his theory.  I suspect more people world-wide would at least know the name of Darwin's theory and have at least a vague idea of what it is about.  Perhaps not so many people would be aware of what a tail-spin it sent religionists into (who "gagged" teachers for several decades)

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
        Paul Wingertposted 6 years ago in reply to this

The biggest difference is that outside the US, Lincoln was just another president where Darwin went against the common thought worldwide.

1. 0
          Baileybearposted 6 years ago in reply to this

agree

working