America, the only country in the world online!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (42 posts)
  1. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I have been on the net since it's inception. During this time I have seen so many comments, references to times and days that are American only and apply to no one else.Often when filling out a form for world wide products there is no way to sign on if I don't live in one of the US states as they are simply not available in the drop-down.

No other group of network users assume that they are the only people who are online or matter!

I find it unnervingly arrogant to be constantly told to have a great Sunday when it is Monday, or to be constantly invited to go to a meeting of an international body in an American location when I am thousands of miles away.

It smacks of ignorance and arrogance and is at best assumptive.

I have been told many times not to write about American politics as I don't live there, that the rest of the world doesn't matter, that they are surprised I am not black or that we speak English here.

That America is the centre of the universe is a bit hard to swallow when China and India are about to eat the states alive economically, America certainly is not even a large population by world standards, and according to street surveys half the population are so bone ignorant that they don't even know where most other countries are!

Who are these people online? I have traveled as a tourist and worked in the states, yet did not see the same attitude that exists online.
    Do the online Americans live in some little backwater that I have driven through without seeing that they have the only Internet provider in the USA? smile

I have many American friends both in Australia and in America. None of them have this attitude.
    But online?
    Totally different.
    Some of you really need to get over yourselves. Any wonder America is home to so many religious fanatics!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...no Canadian comment here....hey Earnest.....good morning! Monday morning/afternoon to you!..........................................................................................
      ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
      ..................................................................................................................
      .................................................................................................................
      ...........................................................................................................................
      you'll just have to figure out what i just said.........................................................smile

earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neat! and absolutely correct.

Depending on where you are at this time of day. Perth is still morning, it is 2.33pm in Melbourne town. smile

2. SiddSingh profile image59
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

That's marvelously funny! (Now, the spellchecker tells me the correct way to spell is "marvelously" and not "marvellously"! What do you think of that?

I'd go with the single "L" myself. smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

lol lol

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

USA seem to be the extreme of whatever Canada is. They have the best of things and worst of things.

It all works out that they are no better or worst than the rest of us in the long run. I do perfer doing business in the USA and enjoy more freedom for most part.

Talking about war and religion is like the fight club, the first rule about the fight club, is don't talk about the fight club.

2. Debby Bruck profile image65
      Debby Bruckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a good answer. Two giggles thumbs up.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Hillary Clinton is here in Melbourne today, so she seems to know where Australia is. lol

1. f_hruz profile image60
      f_hruzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

... are you sure she didn't get it mixed up with Austria? Maybe she missed the flight to Vienna ... so she went to Melbourne instead, ahahahaha

lol lol lol That has potential! I'll see if I can ask her before she leaves. smile

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Well, Earnest, consider:

You live your entire life upside down, hanging on for dear life so that you don't fall off the earth and down into hell.

You never know what time it is, and usually are confused as to what day it is.

You think it snows in the summertime, you plant crops in the fall and turn on the AC in the dead of winter.

Is it any wonder that no one listens???  lol

Good to see you back - I've missed your posts and comments.  Stick around this time!

1. Kidgas profile image64
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pretty funny.

I do think that the number of online situations you describe would be a fairly small number considering that there are several 10s of millions of Americans online.  Although it certainly seems like there are a fair number of annoying ones here in the forums.

1. RedElf profile image91
        RedElfposted 13 years agoin reply to this

to quote Cags, and expand on his remarks, " big_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smilebig_smile "

2. earnestshub profile image81

I will try to hang around a bit longer, but the knives are out in the religious forums, and if I get another brain dead loony getting me banned I will just assume the hubpages staff are as thick as house bricks!

I know we are about to drop off like the dags on a sheep's bum, yet we cling to the planet relentlessly.

I do know what day it is ...... roughly and time.... who cares about time?
      In Australia we don't use time, we just follow the sun's trail.
      I know in lot's of America you don't have sun, so you need watches.
      My marijuana is growing nicely through this hot winter, so soon I won't even care if no one listens!

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol....sounds like the west coast of British Columbia!...that's why Canadians wouldn't mind if a boat load of Aussies showed up...I think Beth said it 'we'd welcome you and have one big party!'

I loved my time in Canada. You guys are so Australian! lol

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'll come down to the sheep's bum and offer my aid in disposal of the winter crop! Around here they're just now burning the stubble fields; perhaps we should do the same for your crop - burn it!  big_smile

Earnest; just ignore the religious forums.  I seldom go there anymore;  too many that truly seem loony, a few with a philosophy I seldom can follow, and one or two that make sense.  It's not worth it.

I am coming to the same conclusion. I just don't like fiction parading as fact and find it hard to go past the goddunnits. lol I know how to burn my crop though! lol

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Eh, you're all just jealous. smile

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

We're not all as bad as all that, are we?
    On second thought.... don't answer that hmm

That's OK MM I can answer that. smile

Some of my best lifelong friends are Americans. I find some to be intelligent, well read and worldly as well. Hubpages itself has some exceptional people that I consider real friends too.

For example, you have never seemed that way to me, and I hold you in high regard.

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have just spoken to a friendly, young, enthusiastic, well educated and charming American guy on the way back to my apartment - the first in five years here -  whoo oo - things are looking up !

Cool CM I guess that made your day! smile

7. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

big_smile

8. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Americans are interested in learning about Australia. We have TV ads which familiarize us with the nuances of your expressions. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3RYHKWXIwI

That is a real screamer! Thanks for the belly laugh! lol lol lol

1. Hugh Williamson profile image76
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad you enjoyed. I guess we do sometimes get caught up in ourselves.

2. f_hruz profile image60
      f_hruzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Expose your fellow americans about the rest of the world ...
      Bavaria and Brasil are good places to start!

Here is lessen # 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfeOkTf_ … re=related

Ist class! There is a lot of money in selling beer, and the ads are sensational. smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1czclq8ztI
        This one was banned!

9. Debby Bruck profile image65
    Debby Bruckposted 13 years ago

Look what you started with this question. I spent four hours writing this hub to tell my point of view. LOL American's Skewed Perspective of the World

Well I am back from the docs & he reckons I will live, so I better go take a peak eh? lol

10. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

Bit like the English BBC's T.V.character, Alf Garnett, in 'Until Death Do We Part.  "All wogs start a Calais," Alf would declare, meaning that outside of the United Kingdom everyone else was of an inferior species.  I don't think the Yanks mean to be so one-eyed.  It's just been drummed into them since childhood.   

But then again, I think all nations tend to think that they are 'the chosen people.'   It's an ego thing...

Well I disagree a bit with this. For example Australians can be patriotic, but seldom display the nationalistic fervor that some Americans do.

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image76
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

I do not know or understand why anyone would not appreciate and accept that Melbourne is the centre of the Universe, even was before it existed for mankind.

Well said Kanga! We are going to take over the world soon so it won't matter what others think then. smile

12. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
    Oi, oi, oi!
    Aussie!
    Oi!
    Aussie!
    Oi!
    Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
    Oi, Oi, Oi!

Now that I have got that out of my system, I would just like to remind Secretary Clinton that Mozart was born in Austria, not here in Australia.
    As for her suggestion that American troops served in the trenches alongside our Diggers in World War 1, the Seppos did eventually join in... in 1917. Three and a half years after Australia & NZ.
    Oh, and WWII... that was 1939 to 1945. NOT 1941 to 1945.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You must be thinking of George W.

13. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

http://peach.rlsl.org/files/2008/07/america-sees-world.jpg

::ducks::

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOVE IT!

And on topic - Earnest you summed up my thoughts exactly.

There have been SO many sites I've tried to sign up for that come back with the 'sorry, we're not accepting applications outside the US' or just simply don't even let you select a state outside the US.

And I really don't want to hear any more people ask me 'Are kangaroos endangered?' Please! We shoot them because they breed and overrun the place!

It's bloody ridiculous.

1. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"We shoot them because they breed and overrun the place! "

And because they taste good barbecued! Personally, though, I prefer emu or crocodile. Not as rich as 'roo.

What's that Skip? Dad tried to stuff you in  the Webber? Geeee, Skip!

14. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

We have just been listening to President Obama's speech in India, where he claims that the US is 'the world's oldest democracy.' That old chestnut always causes mirth amongst the Greeks!

I think that Iceland (oldest elected continuous parliament), and New Zealand and The Isle of Man (universal suffrage), have strong claims, too smile

You are right about the difference between the online and offline world thing, Earnest. Usually, when I say that I live near Sparta, I am asked if I mean Sparta, TN; Sparta, PA; or Sparta, NJ!

By contrast, we meet a lot of American tourists over here and they are warm, intelligent people with a great sense of humour. They don't mind a bit of friendly banter big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)