jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Join The Campaign To Get Everyone Stoned

1. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 6 years ago

A politician in my home town has been arrested for making a bad joke on twitter asking for someone to 'please stone Yasmin Alibhai Brown to death' (Yasmin is a minor celebtrity). This isn't the first time someone has been arrested over a joke on twitter.

I think this is a really major free speach issue, so I am asking all hubbers to join the campaign to get Yasmin Alibhai Brown and the police stoned.

All you have to do is to retweet or facebook like this page - http://thedailysatire.com/UK-political/ … hai-brown/

Hopefully if we can get them all stoned they will be a bit more chilled out and stop arresting people for bad jokes.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
      Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Would be okay to stone Yasmin if she works for one of Murdoch's papers. However, she doesn't so the remark was in bad form becaue a local jihadist might take him seriously and actually do it.

Why don't you think Woolass's party has the right to sack him or have him ejected or whatever they did? Has he apologised? I agree he shouldn't be imprisoned, but the Guardian article didn't say anything about him being arrested or imprisoned. In Birminham, Michigan, where I live, we don't believe in stoning, as opposed to getting stoned.

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I find this argument that someone might read it and take it seriously ridiculous. Do you even believe there is the remotest chance of that happening yourself? Do you really think that jihadists trawl twitter for inspiration, and then hunt down people they don't know and murder them just because someone on twitter told them to?

I'm not saying the joke wasn't in bad taste, but for someone to be arrested for a bad joke is truly shocking to me.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image69
          Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just kidding. Actually, I agree.

2. Pandoras Box profile image82
          Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Here freedom of speech is limited to not inciting violence, panic or harm. Or something like that.

And wow! Do you not believe there are a lot of crazy kooks out there?

Some leaders -official or unofficial- do have a very scary amount of influence over their followers. You can say it's just a joke, and maybe it was. But if you let one person do it cause you think they were kidding, then you have to let everyone do it. You then have no right or precedent to stop others from doing it.

I'm sorry. Can't agree.

2. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Can I get an amen?? Pass the doobie!

1. luvpassion profile image59
      luvpassionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

lol lol

3. Flightkeeper profile image77
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

When I read the heading and you wanted to get everyone stoned, I thought you meant everybody gathering together and smoking a joint like they did in the 60s.  I didn't think you meant physically stoning someone like in the middle east.  I can see why the dude was arrested.  According to the CIA, there are a lot of muslim extremists in Britain, they might have taken that tweet as a serious suggestion and harmed her.

4. Flightkeeper profile image77
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

Does Britain have a free speech right?

5. kaizan28 profile image82
    kaizan28posted 6 years ago

oh, i thought he was talking about giving her a joint, all the youth round my area are always talking bout getting stoned to death.

working