Mexification Complete

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

"Mexification Complete

U.S. now has wealth distribution typical of 3rd world banana republics. The Reagan Revolution is complete -- the wealth of America has now been transferred from the middle class to the top 1%, who now make 24% of the income -- and own 34% of the wealth. Meanwhile, the top 5% of Americans own more of America than the entire bottom 95% of Americans combined -- roughly 60% of America's wealth... "

from http://snarkypenguin.blogspot.com/

And the GOP/teabagger solution is *drum roll* less taxes for the rich - less/no government regulation of business to empower the fat cats to further redistribute wealth upwards - while slashing benefits for the elderly and poor. This should go over like selling Korans at a bar mitzvah - since only those at the top will actually benefit but voters are sucking it up.

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One of the great things about this country is you can leave any time you no longer can stand it.  Or you can do something constructive to improve things.  Besides name calling, whining and bitching of course.
      Like the Tea Party people.  They got tired of the idiocy in
      Washington and they worked hard to get things done.  The work has only just started, but it is a start.
      If you have a better idea than someone else, convince enough people to back you up and run with it.

1. JOE BARNETT profile image60
        JOE BARNETTposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the idea sounds great but the right has been working slowly but with purpose to eliminate one person from creating a movement. this path requires a lot of time and support(dollars) from grass roots. the recent citizens united decision now can outmatch any amount of money you get by 15-20 to one and more. immediately they would package commercials with happy music,good looking women and children playing at parks and show your idea to be sinister or crazy, and spread it nationwide in a day, ten times a day till your idea "quickly" becomes a thing of the past before it even gets started.
        that decision made a money getting entity whose sole purpose is only that and without any mention of humans, health, safety(food medicine etc.)the equivalent to an individual. it will be like a middle school basketball team playing an nba team.you already see them asking to cut senior citizens social security to pay the bills. remember a business entity has no conscience. all it knows is "more money" and or their bottom line.
        one recourse is to quickly and defintively ammend this process by creating transparency. then we can know from where the money is coming and discontinue spending our dollars with that company.if we don't attempt or fail in the effort, from that point forward any idea that is not for big business attaining more money and doing less in this country will , i think, become nothing more than an idea, again thanks to citizens united. if this occurs i suspect a robin hood like entity will soon be on the horizon in some form or fashion

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But they haven't told us what they are going to do. Take back the government. Restore the Constitution. Cut taxes but not Social Security or Medicare. This doesn't get it.

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know right!  But it doesn't matter how you point it out, some will still believe you are lying.  The trickle down myth worked!

3. profile image0
      GladYaMetMe!posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://www.bartcop.com/reagan-hood.jpg

4. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Mexification" can't be complete without amnesty.....

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I wonder if I can add to your mixture here Doug.

Let's see.....

(a) 40+ million homeless- not register voters. (15% of pop.)
    (b) 50% of registered voters- do not vote.
    (c) 50% of the population is registered to vote to begin with.

So, the big question remains- Who is actually voting that do not make up the top 5% of Americans? hmm

So, let's see-

15% of American cannot vote because of no residence. Leaving about 260 million people.

Half of which are registered voters. So- 130 million people.

Half of which are registered voters, but do not vote. So- now we are down to 65 million people.

The top 5% of American is about 15.5 million people. So, that leaves you with approximately 44.5 million people who are not in the Top 5% or Homeless that actually vote.

And, people think America is ruled by the majority? Now, that's funny.

1. profile image0
      Amie Warrenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget convicted felons can't vote. Don't know how many that is, but I'm thinking a lot.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The entire prison population is just under 4 million people. So, I guess you can subtract those out. hmm

1. S Leretseh profile image60
          S Leretsehposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Prison population in US is about 2.3 million. Perhaps you're referring to all those under control of the criminal justice system, which i believe is close to 5 mil.

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most of the prison population have employment though!

At slave wages  .17 to .25 cents an hour in a private prison.

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are totally right, but, here's where I think a big part of the problem lies, and what Madison tried to explain to Hamilton:  People are lazy and won't read.  An undeducated and uninterested public (toss in sophistry - that's my add in) is the death of democracy AND it turns out, of a republic.

HOw do you run a democracy where nobody participates because "It's all too big and beyond me." 

A HUGE part of post-modern literature is the examination of the sense of helplessness in the face of forces to large and complicated by even the intelligent.  If the intelligent are giving up in droves, how does democracy survive?  It's so much easier to pacified (it used to be booze and the Awakenings... but who's going to start the Awakening against TV and video games and drugs and booze?)  We all numb ourselves and let this crap happen (I do it too, but as an artist, I see it and point it out, so I get a pass and can drink and play games AND be self-righteous and all that too. smile  )

Hey Shades, did you actually want your questions answered? Sometimes, I'm not sure, but then again, sometimes I do it anyways.

But, in this instance, I'm asking? hmm

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was actually doing the rhetorical question thing, but sometimes answering rhetorical questions anyway can make for very interesting remarks.

(If you're still inclined, go for it.  Although, I'd rather you didn't because that would be one more post ticked off on your countdown to POOF, so I'd rather not be a mechanism for speeding you out of here. tongue )

And did you think humor itself, from you of all people, wasn't going to get a reply? hmm I thought you were smarter than that. tongue

The best thing to do was not respond to my post. lol In order to not get me to post. tongue

3. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An interesting stat would be....How many of your 44.5 Mil are on the government dole......

4. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil - and that's assuming all 15.5% of the top do vote.

3. dawnM profile image57
    dawnMposted 13 years ago

Lets just make Mexico another state, problem solved......

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd rather have Canada.

4. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

I disagree with you, Doug, on your Mexification premise....

Instead, I proffer the idea that we are actually going back to the days of our founding fathers........the Virginia Company owned and run colony....

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Jamestown failed.

5. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

And so has the long-term viability of the American middle class....if we continue down our present course..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)