jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

TSA's big lie about air travel safety.

1. sannyasinman profile image84
    sannyasinmanposted 5 years ago

Are Airport Body Scanners really necessary? Apparently not, because on 24 November 2010, the designated National Opt-Out day, the TSA simply switched them off to avoid embarassment and media attention, at airports all around the USA and let travellers go through without any body scans or pat downs.

So, how can they be "essential" for passenger safety?
    Full article here . . . 

1. Ms Dee profile image86
      Ms Deeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Excellent question, because I don't think they are. I read an article today that now explains how someone if they wanted to could sneak a bomb in through the body scanners, by molding one to conform to his/her body shape.

I also read that it was Obama that ordered the body scanners to be placed. It seems to me decisions were made based on insufficient information. Also, it is based on the assumption that the government should control airport security and I'm not sure that is the best assumption. Airlines and/or airports competing with providing the best security would seem to produce better results. Maybe they would then do more pre-flight profiling.

2. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm all in favor of a major airline offering to be the 'no-scan' - 'low-security' airline so the throngs of people who find security invasive at airports can breeze past non-existent check points straight to waiting planes. No TSA people pawing through carry-on looking for guns & knives. It's a safe happy world we live in - no one will do anything on MY flight.. right?

3. Ron Montgomery profile image60
      Ron Montgomeryposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can you quote a legitimate news source to verify this story? 

The 4 full body scanners at Phoenix Sky Harbor airport were used throughout the weekend. I very much doubt the accuracy of the report you referenced, it sounds like just another blog inspired "fact".

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Rick Mercer has a funny take on this:

http://rickmercer.com/Rick-s-Rant/Blog/ … ublic.aspx

3. deegle profile image78
    deegleposted 5 years ago

Airport security is important and should be in effect 24/7. I don't believe the way they are currently implementing security is legal nor is it effective. I also believe that TSA does not believe it is effective and important to national security and they proved it by shutting down the body scanners and illegal full body genital squeezing for the holidays. It is purely an act of acclamation to convince people that it is necessary.