jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

How do you Dems and libs feel about this?

1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I would like your feedback on this article from a prestigious newspaper that endorsed Obama:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/ … 2#comments

1. Randy Godwin profile image93
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A woman president?  HAHAHA!  Most of them don't even play golf!

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ever the misogynist.

2. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Habee - I wrote a letter to the White House last week indicating my displeasure with the prospect that the Bush Tax cuts will be extended for the wealthiest 3 percent of this country. I promised that I would ACTIVELY support a liberal candidate in the primaries if Obama caved - and the prediction is - he will.  At the moment, the GOP is holding extended unemployment and the START treaty hostage to one issue - tax cuts for the riches Americans. If Obama can't play high-stakes poker, then I want a liberal president who will represent the lower 97%, and doesn't mind using brass knuckles in a fight.

I am angry now. I will always like Obama, but he turned out to be too much Sammy Davis Jr. and not enough Mohammed Ali. Conservative voters seem oblivious to the fact that the GOP leadership is on the leash of the wealthiest 3 percent - and that 3 % is the greedy club that created the economic mess that Obama hasn't cleaned up in 2 years and isn't being allowed to clean up. The GOP has used the fillibuser to block progress .

Any candidate I will support has to have as a priority cleaning up the economy. But he/she  has to be willing to set aside the mop and deck the GOP or anyone in thrall to special interests if they stand between him/her and getting the job done. So I'm shopping for a fighter. If Hill is that person, she didn't show it in 2008 - but she's learned since then.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image83
        Evan G Rogersposted 5 years ago in reply to this

why does everyone want the rich to be taxed more?

To make it "fair"?

Why not take the alternate route: tax us as little as the rich get taxed!

That'd be better!

2. PrettyPanther profile image87
        PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just told my husband today that if Obama caves on extending the tax cuts for the wealthy he will have finally lost me.  I'm not ready to jump on the Hillary bandwagon, though. 

Obama better grow a spine and persuade the Senate Democrats to do the right thing for once, or he's toast.

3. William R. Wilson profile image61
      William R. Wilsonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's just an opinion piece.  You've said it before - Obama's hopes depend on how the economy's doing in 2012.  It also depends on how well he's able to mobilize voters and volunteers, which was the secret to his success and is really the secret to all successful campaigns.  He did a bangup job of it in 2008, maybe he can do it again. 

Besides, doesn't the incumbent always get the nomination?

1. habee profile image92

I still think that, William. I was just a little surprised to see so many Dems on blogs and in articles clamoring for Hil to run in 2012. I'm not a registered Democrat, so I just wanted to see what Hub Dems thought.

Franklin Pierce didn't win his party's nomination. And remember, Teddie challenged Carter when Carter was the incumbent.

2. canadawest99 profile image60
    canadawest99posted 5 years ago

Doesn't matter if they elect a brick, you are going to get more of the same antics and the average person loses.

3. 0
    sandra rinckposted 5 years ago

I think Hillary is plenty capable of the job. The only reason I think she would do better than Obama is because she has more political power.

4. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

You all know how I feel about it!
    Also, I think that Bill's image has mellowed quite a bit since the 2008 primaries. I don't think he's considered a "liability" anymore (not that he ever was or should have been viewed that way!)

5. Jeff Berndt profile image89
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

I supported Barack over Hillary because I thought Hillary would have been too polarizing.

I guess the joke's on me! smile

Seriously, though, I don't think it would have mattered which Democrat won the presidency in '08; the GOP would have stonewalled and sandbagged and obstructed just as hard.

6. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it? And yes, the GOP would have stonewalled whoever became POTUS.
    But given the short attention span and fickleness of the American people, shouldn't we be looking only as far as UP TO the next 2 years?
    The GOP has a 2-year window. They either need to make something real happen or the populace will reverse course and throw THEM out in 2012.
    Who knows how "our" mood will be vis a vis presidential candidate by then!

7. Michael Buchman profile image60
    Michael Buchmanposted 5 years ago

It amazes me that Libs are so eager to blame the GOP for their financial woes. 

There is more money shifted to the Unions than the loss of tax revenue of the top 3% your concerned about.  Those funds are taken directly out of the pockets of the 97%.

It also amazes me that you don't realize the top 3% keep most of the industries running.

I'm also a Dem and I even know that.  The financial woes date back 25 yrs. Both Dems and Rep are responsible.  You give Bush too much credit.

We really need to blame ourselves as we're the ones who keep voting these turn-coats back into office.  Thats why I've gone Independent and will vote for the man from now on.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I really appreciate your feedback. I'm a registered Republican, but I don't always vote that way. I voted for Ross Perot, Bill, and a lot of Dems in other races. While I don't agree with all of Hillary's views, I could get behind her. I haven't found a candidate yet with whose views I agree 100%. I think she would be able to get something accomplished because she has leadership skills and big hairy ovaries. If Obama is the Dem in 2012, I won't vote for him. If Palin or another kook is the Rep, I won't support them, either.

Gotta link to those "hairy ovaries"?

1. habee profile image92

They look a lot like mine. Wanna see mine?? Oh...never mind...

Try Nair!  It worked on my nose hair.

1. habee profile image92

Naahhh...I like em big 'n' hairy - just like I like my men! lol