jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

The Second Amendment

1. Paul Wingert profile image78
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

To a lot of people, especially gun owners, the Second Amendment simply states, "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms". Now how many of them know the other other half, the important half, that says,"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State". This country hasn't had a militia since the Civil War! Today's "militia" is the national guard. So in reality, this amendment is totally obsolete and needs to be rewritten or repealed.

1. 0
      luabuposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Hi Paul
      An armed populace is a much safer option than a national army under central control.
      Man has a primitive right to protect himself.
      With proper supervision and training which you have all over America
      National Rifle Association etc and the proper issuing of licences. People can learn to respect guns
      I was reared in a house where there was a gun.
      Bow to the wisdom of the founding fathers here Paul

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 5 years ago

Militia-a body of citizens organized for military service.

Key word is "citizens"

3. 61
    C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago

The Supreme Court has ruled on this very recently. Further, the idea of ammending the Constitution, specifically to remove an individuals right to bear arms, is highly unlikely IMO.

4. Ralph Deeds profile image68
    Ralph Deedsposted 5 years ago

I read recently about a dispute somewhere over the right of citizens to carry knives versus the right of cities or states to regulate or prohibit knives or certain types of knives, e.g. switch blades or swords. I guess they might be considered "arms" under the 2nd Amendment. I remember some of my schoolboy friends having switch blade knives years ago and questions being raised about their legality. And what about brass knuckles?

1. 61
      C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Individual states do regulate what is legal to carry. Most do prohibit "switch blades" and have since their initial popularity in the 50's. Typically folding blades that are 4" or less are not a problem.

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

There are still militias in the US.  Personally I am not convinced that is a good thing.