US to blame for cables leak on wikileaks -Australia's foreign minister

1. pisean282311 profile image59
    pisean282311posted 5 years ago

Australia's foreign minister has said the US is to blame for the release of thousands of diplomatic cables on Wikileaks, not its Australian founder, Julian Assange.

Reports, Kevin Rudd said the release raised questions about US security and he did not "give a damn" about criticism of him in the cables. Assange, arrested in the UK over sex crime allegations in Sweden, has accused the Australian government of "disgraceful pandering" to the US.

2. Hovalis profile image89
    Hovalisposted 5 years ago

Of course the US is to blame. At the moment they are doing the typical thing of trying to shoot the messenger: ie Assange. The truth is if they had their house in order there wouldn't be a 'crisis' right now. There needs to be a serious internal review of who has access to these types of documents. Changes need to be made, especially since it appears that there are serious gaps in security procedures. For all the high emotion and finger pointing this is the real issue. And it's something only the US can deal with. And they need to do it sooner than later.

I do wonder if these cables had been printed in an established newspaper if we'd be seeing the US baying at the moon, wanting to bring in the owner on espionage charges. Somehow, I think not. Diversionary tactics don't solve the real problems.

I have no doubt that Kevin Rudd, who is our Foreign Minister, and former Prime Minister, really doesn't care what was said. It's all politics, after all, and he's a seasoned campaigner.