Should a progressive challenge Obama in 2012?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (41 posts)
  1. TeaPartyCrasher profile image64
    TeaPartyCrasherposted 13 years ago

In light of the decision to let the Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthy continue, and the criticism from Obama of those progressives opposed to letting them continue, perhaps Obama needs a reminder of who got him where he is.

I think a challenge in 2012 from the likes of Russ Feingold, Alan Grayson, or some other progressive firebrand is in order?

What about the rest of you?

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul 2012

1. EPman profile image60
        EPmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

this

2. Harry Santos profile image48
        Harry Santosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron Paul is truly the only hope!

2. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Absolutely, they should run as a third party candidate.

Woohoo, did someone say Ross Perot?

3. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you want to ensure a victory for Sarah Palin, sure.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

Or possibly Gov. Chris Christie?

1. livelonger profile image86
          livelongerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, maybe.

Fortunately, though, the disgruntled far-left will not be strong enough to mount a challenge to Obama, and Obama will win reelection fairly handily.

1. profile image57
            C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he definitely helped himself out with this tax cut comprimise. Only the far left is really angry enough to mount a challenge. However their numbers are small. That issue will be settled in the Primaries. Once he wins the nod, there is no way the far left will vote for anyone other than the DNC candidate.

2. Reality Bytes profile image75

If he continues to compromise, I think you might be correct.

4. profile image49
      RonPaulLiberalposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A primary challenge of Obama will do nothing good. A progressive raid of the GOP is a much better idea: http://progressivesforronpaul.blogspot.com/

2. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

Two words: Al Franken.

The perfect candidate to lead the progressive charge.

1. Reality Bytes profile image75

Yeah, Yeah Al Franken "That's the ticket"

http://wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/franken_diaper.jpg

lol

1. profile image57
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, I mean if you were so impressed with one harvard man, why not another?

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Nah. One schizo party at a time. It's the GOP's turn in 2012.

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

The progressives and Ron Paul share a few issues in common, but the philosophy's as a whole are miles apart.

And I'm telling you---something about Ron Paul is off. He's still a Republican, you know.
    He speaks at pro-life rallies......How is that "for freedom"?

It's not.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
      BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, life, and the freedom to enjoy it.....sounds like a real schmuck to me....

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, not exactly...
        Apparently, my womb is property of the State.

And the law on the books that says this is located where?

1. dingdondingdon profile image59
            dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you ban a woman from exercising choice over her own body you are saying her body does not belong to her.

But there is no such ban, so your point would be.....?

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
                Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't it strange how they complain about the oppression thats NOT taking place and ignore the real threat to their freedom?

1. lovemychris profile image76
                  lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh it's real.
                  Your guys are making sure of it...little by little, just as they are dismantling our gvt--little by little.

Perhaps it's because you are not a woman, that you don't understand, so I won't bother to explain it to you...after all, erections are so important, tax dollars are paying for them!!--So you have NO idea how I feel, since you BAN funding a procedure for me. Now you are working on banning the procedure alltogether. You don't fool anyone with your games.

It's nothing new, really. The founding fathers thought of me as property, and could legally beat me.
                  It's not a stretch that you now want to control my sexuality, as if YOU were my daddy.

Daddy state.

LMC, I couldn't care less about your sexuality.  Don't flatter yourself.

And as of today, abortion is still legal.  So I'm left wondering 9again) what your gripe is...

2. Jim Hunter profile image61
                    Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"since you BAN funding a procedure for me."

I haven't banned anything, I'm all for your right to abort any baby you feel you are saddled with.

Hell, if you want a lobotomy I'll pay for that myself.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image62

it's against freedom if you consider the fetus not alive.

it's pro-freedom if you consider the fetus a separate life.

Thus, this IS a tricky subject for libertarians.

Calling Ron Paul a Republican is about as apt as calling Obama a hippie.

5. dingdondingdon profile image59
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

I would love to see Hillary run, but I don't think she will.

6. lovemychris profile image76

I'm with Obama...all the way.

But go for it progressives! The more voices, the better.
    As long as it's not a RW operative playing the game of being a progressive.

No faces that don't have a proven record. RW'ers will do ANYTHING to win, as you know.

7. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

It may be a moot point..!

with the Republicans split between and Tea and Center, Obama may just, by a Republican split, walk right back in!

8. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

I think the progressives should run a candidate if only to spotlight that President Obama is a moderate. Americans like progressive ideas - Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Children's Health Insurance, Head Start, etc. The idea of progressive taxation, that the rich SHOULD pay more... polls well. Despite the fact that most Americans favor liberal ideas,  a lot of those folks think they are moderate/conservative.

It makes no sense, but progressive presidential candidates do poorly. George McGovern, Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis ring a bell? Bill Clinton was a moderate and did OK. President Obama is a moderate and he's doing alright. The republicans won't field a moderate candidate who will preserve the progressive ideals of this country. Obama will defend the programs republicans want to destroy. Since a fire-breathing liberal makes Obama more electable, I like it.

9. lovemychris profile image76

Did you know Ryan got SS benefits when his dad died? Is he a mooch?
    Is Bachmann a mooch for taking a farm-subsidy?
    Boehner in gvt for 20 years?
    All these people who "hate" the gvt, still taking the 174K and all the bennies.....

What has happened to Integrity?

damn right he got benefits -he paid for the service so he's entitled to it.

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gee, I was under the distinct impression that Mr. Ryan did not approve of government entitlement programs.
        Well, good thing he already got his SS benefits.
        As if he gets his way he -- and everybody else his age and youngers -- won't be getting no more.

He can be against it all he wants.

He's been paying for the service - against his will - for his whole life. The government owes him what was promised.

It's called "a contract".

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)